Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would anyone steal Guinness barrels?

Options
  • 25-10-2010 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

About 30 stolen from the pub that I'm looking after. What would anyone do with them? Sell them for scrap metal? Hardly need 30 for scaffolding?.

Bizarre.:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Sell them back to the brewery? Who knows.

Sorry to hear about the barrels, moved from PI.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Freiheit wrote: »
    Sell them for scrap metal?

Possibly. Depending on the market price a keg can be worth as much as the beer inside.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It's €10-20 deposit per keg afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭wetling

Whats the traditional name of someone who deals in scrap metal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

A Tinker is it not? Deals in tin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

wetling wrote: »
    Whats the traditional name of someone who deals in scrap metal?

A scrap metal merchant?

http://www.kegwatch.co.uk/press.htm

Looks like these kind of kegs can fetch some good money and theres a massive market for them in the UK at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

Did they nick them all in one go? You'd need something big to move all that lot wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Guinness barrels
    I'd say they'd fetch a nice price on ebay, from the Americans...

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

Does your pub or any of the businesses nearby have security cameras outside? Even if they're not aimed on the keg area, you might get lucky and see from footage taken around the corner or up the road some skobes driving off with a trailer load of kegs!! If they used a van you're fecked, but maybe they used a flatbed or trailer in which case you'd be handing the guards a case with a bow-tie on it.

Hope you catch them - the robbing scum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

They make damn fine braziers for camping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

They make decent swinging moorings for boats. You near a lake?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I got a couple of kegs in England last year off a pub my friend worked in. The pub went out of business, and I had a hell of a hard time getting rid of the empty kegs. The brewery didn't want them and no scrap merchant would touch them. One even threatened to call the police on me.
    Could be different in Ireland though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Blisterman wrote: »
    I got a couple of kegs in England last year off a pub my friend worked in. The pub went out of business, and I had a hell of a hard time getting rid of the empty kegs. The brewery didn't want them and no scrap merchant would touch them. One even threatened to call the police on me.
    Could be different in Ireland though.

Here it's whoever supplies the kegs to the pub i.e the wholesalers who are the ones who will take them back (and repay the deposit).

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

there is no deposit on empty kegs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

eyebrows63 wrote: »
    there is no deposit on empty kegs

It depends on the kegs and the supplier.
    I know that, a few years ago, there was a €60 deposit on Hoegaarden kegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

A garda casually said to me (didn't report it but sister is a garda) that for export theyre usually sawn in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

akegweb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

When I worked for Guinness many moons ago on the road we would be sent on runs to pick up emptys coming up to christmas a lot of the places we wouldnt even tell just grab and go so to speak!!

or it could be a scan like they get filled with water by certain individuals sold to unsuspecting people for 100 euro and when they hook em up out comes the sweetest tap water ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

When I worked for Guinness many moons ago on the road we would be sent on runs to pick up emptys coming up to christmas a lot of the places we wouldnt even tell just grab and go so to speak!!
    Why would you have to tell them? The brewaries are supposed to collect empties, it's not like you were doing anything out of the ordinary.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I have heard that a lot get stolen for scrap metal, one of the reasons why miller and a few other brands wrap the keg in rubber.

• Advertisement
Advertisement