Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loft Insulation - Help needed Please!

• 25-10-2010 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I am looking to insulate my loft (between the joists), and I am struggling to know what to use (will be installing it myself) Rockwool Vs Kingspan. What will get me the best insulation on a smallish budget and be effective, and I will be eventually putting boarding on the floor.

Thanks all, Rossyboy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Most modern insulation is fairly comparable. Measure the joist depth and buy that thickness of insulation. Don't be tempted to compress a thicker depth. It reduces it's effectiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lantus wrote: »
    Most modern insulation is fairly comparable. Measure the joist depth and buy that thickness of insulation. Don't be tempted to compress a thicker depth. It reduces it's effectiveness.
    Rockwool and kingspan are in no way comparable.
    There is not one thing similar with the two.

OP, rigid sheets offer better thermal resistance, but quilt type insulations are easier to fit, and give a better fit.

Personally, i'd go for quilt type (there are better products than rockwool in terms of thermal resistance, its benefit is fire resistance) as it fits better in attic. But i'd also install more than just the joist depth. Crosslaying battons and more insulation is a much better solution all over imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rossyboy

Thanks Mellor, what quilted insulation would you recommend? thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

you should use a quilt that has an excellent U-value. Your joices in the attic are probably 6 inches - or 150mm. Just lay it between the joices and then when you've done that lay another 150mm across the joices so that the quilt is on top. In this way you've laid 300mm of quilt. Personally there isn't much difference between Rockwool or any of the other products as long as the U-Value can be achieved.
    Don't put insulation over any extractor fans and keep it back about 4 inches from where the ceiling meets the roof.

Don't use Kingspan sheeting between joices - thats not what its for. You'd use Kingspan sheeting mostly for floors, cavity walls and in dormer houses where the slope of the roof goes beyond the internal living area towards the guttering. The sheeting in this case is used to allow air flow to get up into the trusses as all timbers must breath.

Advertisement