Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratching Dog?

Options
  • 25-10-2010 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Over the weekend one of my dogs has been scratching an awful lot. I bathed him using the insecticidal shampoo and I put a dose of that 'spot on' stuff at the back of his neck but he's still scratching. So it mustn't be fleas. What else could it be does anyone know?

He usually eats that Science Plan dry food but I ran out and he's been on Winalot tins but that's only been since Friday. if it is the food surely it wouldn't kick in that fast would it? And the other 3 dogs are eating the same but they're not scratching.

One other clue that might help solve is that is our littlest fella keeps picking at his fur as if there's something nice and chewy there so maybe it is fleas?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

What breed of dog is he? Sounds like a food intolerance to me, and you would be surprised how quickly something like that can happen when you change from one food to the other. Tinned food isn't great quality so I'd get him back onto the science plan as soon as possible. Give him about a week on it, the scratching should stop.

If it is fleas, check along his spine and his stomach; you'll find black spots along there under his fur if its an infestation. Doubtful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Thanks Shanao. He's a little mongrel. I got to the shops today so he's back on the Science Plan now. Hopefully that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

we have dog with bad itch and got ended up tearin his hair off and vet had tried alot same stuff and was gonna but him down so we tried another and it ened up bein mites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Does he scratch a certain place? Is there anything on his skin in those places that is noticable? If there are spots or fur missing you could try treating with Advocate which covers fleas, mange and worms. If it's none of those things it could be an allergy to something. Has he been running in long grass, stinging nettles or through grass cuttings recently? Or it could be a food intolorance. Monitor him closely for a while and see if it could be any of these things. You could bathe him with tea tree shampoo for sensitive skin, and apply an ointment for itchy skin if there are any patches that look sore...

Hope he's ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Make sure you used a spot-on like Frontline, Stronghold, Advocate, etc, that comes from a vet or chemist as the ones you get in shops are not strong enough drugs to be effective. Also, make sure you didn't wash the dog too soon after applying the spot-on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Thanks for all the advice!

A week on now and he seems to be back to normal. He has the odd scratch now and then but nothing major. Whatever was making him scratch it seems to be gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

I'm glad he's better :) May sound odd but perhaps it was the change in the weather? Sometimes I get really itchy all over for no apparent reason at all, and sometimes because I am too warm!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Sounds like it was a food intolerance alright. Glad to hear the little fellas better

Advertisement