Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sloe Tree...(How to grow)

Options
  • 25-10-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi i am trying to grow a sloe tree and i was just wondering what is the best way to go about it, do i extract the seed or leave the flesh on them. Can i grow them in a propagator or do the seeds need stratification....someone please help me

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They are local, naturally occuring trees so you will need to imitate the process of the seeds having been through a bird's gut. Yes, remove the flesh and rub with sandpaper to get them started. Some wild trees seeds do need to be sandpapered and others don't so maybe try a few of each. Put the seeds in a pot and leave out for the winter cold to get to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Devrobia

Thanks a million, i will give it a go and hopefully i will have some success...planted 13 seeds so surely i will get at least a couple that will grow... Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Devrobia wrote: »
    Hi i am trying to grow a sloe tree and i was just wondering what is the best way to go about it, do i extract the seed or leave the flesh on them. Can i grow them in a propagator or do the seeds need stratification....someone please help me

Cheers

Why go such a long way around. Find any grove or hedge of blackthorn, and walk carefully along the perimiter. You will certainly find, new trees from an inch to a couple of feet high, already started off and growing strongly. Blackthorn spreads like wildfire.
    Dig carefully and replant where you want them.:D:D

Have my seeds sown so hopefully i will see a result in the spring...I might pop out tomorrow and see if i can pick up a small sapling, i have been looking around for a small one for a while but to no sucess. Fingers crossed...:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

You can also take cuttings from blackthorns Nov/Dec. Select a cutting with lots of buds and around the width of a pencil, remove leaves. make a sloping cut / remove a nip of the bark off the stem to help rooting. Use compost/sand mixture and leave in place for a year before moving. plant a few to allow for any failures..

• Advertisement

Thats a great idea, how long before they root then if i do that...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

They should be left untouched for a year and then can be repotted or grown on.

Advertisement