Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger Woods 11 ripoff

Options
  • 25-10-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

I just bought TW11 second hand and cant play online. Only the first user to use online code can play online. is this the begining of the end of second hand games? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There's a code included with the original game to play online to try and make the games worth less second-hand. The codes can be bought for a fiver but I'm fairly sure I remember people complaining that they're hard to get in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Its a pity the shop didnt inform me that the code was already used before I bought the game.

ShaunC wrote: »
    Its a pity the shop didnt inform me that the code was already used before I bought the game.

I'd give them an angry phone call or drop in about that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ciaburkie

How would they know that the code had been used? And sure they wont even care...they got their money out of you and made a profit on what they gave for the trade in.

I mean i got Cod 4 GOTY 2nd hand and the codes for the mappacks were used....who cares? you got the game significantly cheaper.

Also, this whole passport thing by EA to play online is a load of **** anyways

ciaburkie wrote: »
    How would they know that the code had been used? And sure they wont even care...they got their money out of you and made a profit on what they gave for the trade in.

I mean i got Cod 4 GOTY 2nd hand and the codes for the mappacks were used....who cares? you got the game significantly cheaper.

Also, this whole passport thing by EA to play online is a load of **** anyways

A courteous heads-up wouldn't go amiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

it's going to be a lot more common lads. the developers, who spend a lot of money and effort to produce a game, make nothing on 2nd hand sales. personally i don't think i'd have a problem with having to pay a nominal fee to access the online content of a 2nd hand game

as this unique online code is still a relatively new tactic, the game stores should have a notice up informing prospective customers of a possible extra charge to play online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

just bring it back, Gamestop had no issues refunding my mate when this happened, turned out it was cheaper to buy new than buy 2nd hand and buy the code!!:mad: he was never informed he did not have full access to the game so they refunded him. i think its a crazy idea on developers parts, too expensive imo

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not crazy. The games companies don't get a penny from second hand sales.

What's crazy is the price gamestop sell these 2nd hand games at. Sounds like its starting to bite them in the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

theteal wrote: »
    it's going to be a lot more common lads

and its going to get worse than simply not being able to access online play

wait til you cant access the game at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Gamestop have a habit of not marking the boxes of games affected with these codes correctly when selling them second hand...

Lawsuit Targets GameStop over “Free” DLC

Never did hear how it turned out though. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Delighted for gamestop, they should lose a fortune if more companies to do this. Karma is a bitch.

Mr E wrote: »
    Not crazy. The games companies don't get a penny from second hand sales.

What's crazy is the price gamestop sell these 2nd hand games at. Sounds like its starting to bite them in the ass.

well i do think its crazy, i could care less that they dont get a penny from 2nd hand games, what other industry gets a cut from when their product is sold secondhand??? to be honest they are just greedy and this is coming from someone with friends in the indusrty, i also think gamestops prices can be mad but at least you have the option there.

I buy alot of games just for LAN nights, to have the same games as the lads or to try old games, this might put a stop to this. I think the games industry just seen how successful the 2nd hand market is and wants a slice the people who are going to pay for this is us gamers, that makes me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

projectgtr wrote: »
    well i do think its crazy, i could care less that they dont get a penny from 2nd hand games, what other industry gets a cut from when their product is sold secondhand???

There's no other industry in which buying second-hand is pretty much the same as buying first hand.

well i do think its crazy, i could care less that they dont get a penny from 2nd hand games, what other industry gets a cut from when their product is sold secondhand??? to be honest they are just greedy and this is coming from someone with friends in the indusrty, i also think gamestops prices can be mad but at least you have the option there.
    The motor industry.

Then you have what Orim said.

Also, if you really do have mates in the industry then you'll know how hard they work and how comments like "i could care less that they don't get a penny from 2nd hand games" are completely disrespectful.

I think the games industry just seen how successful the 2nd hand market is and wants a slice the people who are going to pay for this is us gamers, that makes me :mad:

of course they did

theyre losing BILLIONS, all because the likes of gamestop point blank refused to give them a cut of second hand sales

had they not been so greedy, youd still be able to buy games second hand without any of this online pass stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

How much did you buy it for?

Its €30 pre owened in Xtravision and €31 brand new in Argos! ☺ ☺

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

gizmo wrote: »
    The motor industry.

Also, if you really do have mates in the industry then you'll know how hard they work and how comments like "i could care less that they don't get a penny from 2nd hand games" are completely disrespectful.

So if a Ford is sold second-hand by a Renault dealer, they have to pay a cut to Ford?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

What pisses me off about the online code is that 2 people in the one house cant play online on seperate accounts without one of them having to buy the code, which is bulls**t! This happened me, my brother bought the game, he used the code and hes able to play online, but now im not able to ?! Pissed off to say the least, not at him but at ea for introducing this stupid thing!

whiterebel wrote: »
    So if a Ford is sold second-hand by a Renault dealer, they have to pay a cut to Ford?

i do believe this is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Uh, no its not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i thought this was going to be about the lack of an SUV level/minigame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

True, but in no other industry is 2nd hand forced down our throats so much as in the games industry. Have never been asked in Waterstones if I would "like a 2nd hand copy of that book" or "you can trade that book back for credit against a further purchase". Plus the reason EA does this is it operates servers for the games, the publishing companies of books, dvds, cds, etc very rarely (if ever) have to offer that after-sales support for one of their products. And then if someone comes along and uses it without paying them (by buying 2nd hand) is a bit of a kick in the sack.

All so little Timmy can save €5 on a game :rolleyes:
    Overheal wrote: »
    i thought this was going to be about the lack of an SUV level/minigame.

South Park teases us so much with what could have been :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

All EA games will have this problem, THQ and Ubisoft as well are either doing or just about to do the same. Sony are "thinking" about it but i think the fact they need Gamestop to shift PS3 at the moment and in a few years PS4's, will hold them back.

Digital downloads are not an option any time soon so at the moment its going to be an uneasy partnership between publishers and Game stores to earn billions for themselves in a very lucrative market, as they both know with out the other one they are screwed.

Its like when a footballer on 80 grand a week complains that its unfair another player is getting 100 grand a week. Its very hard to feel sorry for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    What pisses me off about the online code is that 2 people in the one house cant play online on seperate accounts without one of them having to buy the code, which is bulls**t! This happened me, my brother bought the game, he used the code and hes able to play online, but now im not able to ?! Pissed off to say the least, not at him but at ea for introducing this stupid thing!

happened to me with cod4 and the map packs. what worked for me was if i singed in the other account aswel on the other controller it gave me full access to those maps online but when i just signed in on just my account i couldnt use them. maybe this might work for you too? worth a try anyway if ye share a console

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

no they can

theres a work around

whoever actually owns the game needs to run it the first time as their own account on the other person's console. that activates the online pass to both their online account, and to the console

that means that they can then play the game with their own online account on the second console, and the other person signs in to their online account on the console where the online pass was activated and also gets access

never tried it, but ea have been clear that it's both the online account that's associated with online pass AND the initial activation console that can use it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Helix wrote: »
    i do believe this is correct

I do believe that is complete rubbish, but I know the owners of 2 main dealers, so I will ask them when I see them.

gizmo wrote: »
    The motor industry.

Its not disrespectful in the slightest,why should they make money on me swapping/selling a game to my friend?? the server issue is a load of crap they build these costs into the games when they set prices, if i sell a game its not like there is one more person on the server :rolleyes: , to me its down right greed its a profitable industry that just wants a bigger slice of the pie.

Explain to me how the motor industry gets a cut when a 2nd hand car is sold??
    Helix wrote: »
    of course they did

theyre losing BILLIONS, all because the likes of gamestop point blank refused to give them a cut of second hand sales

had they not been so greedy, youd still be able to buy games second hand without any of this online pass stuff

How are they losing billions :rolleyes:?? why should gamestop give them a cut, would you give them a cut if you sold your copy of reach to your mate?? i think not ;)
    Gunmonkey wrote: »
    True, but in no other industry is 2nd hand forced down our throats so much as in the games industry. Have never been asked in Waterstones if I would "like a 2nd hand copy of that book" or "you can trade that book back for credit against a further purchase". Plus the reason EA does this is it operates servers for the games, the publishing companies of books, dvds, cds, etc very rarely (if ever) have to offer that after-sales support for one of their products. And then if someone comes along and uses it without paying them (by buying 2nd hand) is a bit of a kick in the sack.

All so little Timmy can save €5 on a game :rolleyes:

South Park teases us so much with what could have been :p

I dont get you.......... servers and support centers are all factored into costs when the game is in development, useage does not go up or down with the sale of a 2nd hand game its still the same amount of games in circulation same amount of people using the servers, same amount of people using the support, that argument just doesnt work with me. Its all about not spotting a niche in the market and wanting a slice, i think it will have a detrimental effect on game sales as a whole, me included as i mentioned above

Its not disrespectful in the slightest,why should they make money on me swapping/selling a game to my friend?? the server issue is a load of crap they build these costs into the games when they set prices, if i sell a game its not like there is one more person on the server :rolleyes: , to me its down right greed its a profitable industry that just wants a bigger slice of the pie.
    They don't make money on you swapping the game, your friend can play the game online for a week for free before needing to get an Online Pass. As for the selling part, they're not making money off you, they're making money from the people who bought it second hand, the same people who chose to save a couple of quid themselves which results in the industry not seeing a penny for the transaction.

Calling the industry profitable is simply ignorance. Sure there are titles which make a lot of money but if you look at any meaningful stats you'll see that most titles struggle to break even. Second hand sales damage this further and, given the extent to which they're pushed by retailers, form a credible thread to jobs, jobs like your mates have. Hence the disrespectful comment. By all means ask your mates about it though, I'd be interested to hear back what they say to you.
    Explain to me how the motor industry gets a cut when a 2nd hand car is sold??
    It was brought up in an online article which was quoted by another member here in a similar thread awhile back. The jist of it was, 2nd hand dealers pay some form of licence fee to the manufacturers in order to be authorised dealers and sell second hand cars. It is similar to what publishers asked of video game retailers, pay some form of contribution for the ability to resell games and it's all good. The retailers told them where to go so the publishers tackled a problem another way.
    How are they losing billions :rolleyes:?? why should gamestop give them a cut, would you give them a cut if you sold your copy of reach to your mate?? i think not ;)
    Again, you're not in possession of the facts here. Gamestop had revenue of $2 billion from second hand sales in the US alone last year, that is money which is being taken out of the industry hence the above losing comment. While some argue that that money is being used to fuel further game purchases, given that the market for second hand games is so strong, it indicates that publishers are being completely left out of the loop while the retailer makes all the money. As for me personally, no I don't trade in games as I prefer to support the industry. If I was going to sell my games I'd do it privately, something which I have no problem with. My issue is with Gamestop and the like here.
    I dont get you.......... servers and support centers are all factored into costs when the game is in development, useage does not go up or down with the sale of a 2nd hand game its still the same amount of games in circulation same amount of people using the servers, same amount of people using the support, that argument just doesnt work with me. Its all about not spotting a niche in the market and wanting a slice, i think it will have a detrimental effect on game sales as a whole, me included as i mentioned above
    No they're not. At the most basic level, if they were then games which utilised this functionality would be more expensive than those without. The usage argument is valid in the sense that capacity doesn't increase however that means someone else should get to take their place for free.

How are they losing billions :rolleyes:?? why should gamestop give them a cut, would you give them a cut if you sold your copy of reach to your mate?? i think not

gamestop alone made $2bn from second hand sales last year

i wouldnt give my a cut to the developers if i sold a game to a mate, but then again im not turning over $2bn a year in second hand game sales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Is there any company that voluntarily gives money away like that?

I think this system is fine, except of course that at this point customers dont know how to tell which titles feature this thing. If(/when) it becomes clear to customers, "oh I'm buying this and look it has *this* icon on it which means whoever owned it originally will probably have used the code which means I'll need to buy one, so I'll just add $10 to the price and decide if I still want it", then the system will work for everyone. Developers will get their kickback, customers will get the clear choice about whether they want to buy new or used (used games of this type should be cheaper than other games both when being traded in and being resold).

Advertisement