Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardman Bikes-on sale much?

• 25-10-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Hi,

After a load of research, putting deposit on a carerra subway 1(before most of my research) I have decided to buy a Boardman Performanch Hybrid Comp:
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_502557_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

its 625 at the minute, and I have a 15% off voucher, but anyone know if they ever go on sale? Is it worth waiting around a bit?

Also, have I made the right choice on this bike(looking for best value performance hybrid, budget 550 euro)? Don't know a lot, but the others I looked at were the giant rapid 4 and specialized sirrus.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dunnangall

great savings on all bikes and accessories last weekend in Halfords Derry, still a lot cheaper than down south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

dunnangall wrote: »
    great savings on all bikes and accessories last weekend in Halfords Derry, still a lot cheaper than down south.

yeah I heard there was 10% off all bikes, including Boardmans....
    anyway I missed it.:(

Anyone else here ever seen them on sale/special?I don't know if I'll be waisting my time waiting till the end of the year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Hi cojomo2,

I'd say it's worth waiting for another couple of weeks anyway. AFAIK, this year's Boardman model line up is identical to last year's. So the 2011 models will be new. I believe they will be available sometime around the end of this month or early next month. I'm guessing that old 2010 models will be discounted to make way for the new stock - it's surely worth waiting to find out. Then again, you might not want to settle for the old model if the 2011 replacement is really sparkly!

Hi cojomo2,

I'd say it's worth waiting for another couple of weeks anyway. AFAIK, this year's Boardman model line up is identical to last year's. So the 2011 models will be new. I believe they will be available sometime around the end of this month or early next month. I'm guessing that old 2010 models will be discounted to make way for the new stock - it's surely worth waiting to find out. Then again, you might not want to settle for the old model if the 2011 replacement is really sparkly!

Thanks for the info Keep_Her_Lit,

Did a bit more searching and I read that boardman himself tweeter that the new range will not be available until Jan/ feb, and that they are looking at making the 2011 range available worldwide, not just through Halfords.

Also gave halfords a call, they said that boardman biked don't really go on sale, but that the price does fluctuate regularly , he also mentioned that the current prices would be at the higher end of the scale and expected them to drop a bit shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Keep_Her_Lit,

Did a bit more searching and I read that boardman himself tweeter that the new range will not be available until Jan/ feb, and that they are looking at making the 2011 range available worldwide, not just through Halfords.

Also gave halfords a call, they said that boardman biked don't really go on sale, but that the price does fluctuate regularly , he also mentioned that the current prices would be at the higher end of the scale and expected them to drop a bit shortly.

OK, thanks for updating me. I'm thinking about replacing my commuter MTB with a Boardman Hybrid and have been waiting for the 2011 models to appear. Only a couple of weeks ago my local Halfords told me they'd be out around the end of this month. However, you've got your info "straight from the horses mouth". So I'll have to wait now and see what kind of shape the post-Christmas budget is in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭S'

I too was going to wait for the 2011 Baoardman range to come out, but with this big budget coming out in December it looks like the "Bike to work scheme" will be likely scraped:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I heard the 10% offer is back this weekend, so maybe hold out a few days.

kona wrote: »
    I heard the 10% offer is back this weekend, so maybe hold out a few days.

kona, good stuff lad! Was the source reliable?

that means, if I use my axa voucher, I'll get the Boardman hybrid comp for 480..I'm guessing I couldn't possible go wrong with that!?

kona, good stuff lad! Was the source reliable?

that means, if I use my axa voucher, I'll get the Boardman hybrid comp for 480..I'm guessing I couldn't possible go wrong with that!?

dont know if you can get 25% but there is no harm in trying I suppose. I'd be quite certain its on next weekend, I know a few lads working there.

dont know if you can get 25% but there is no harm in trying I suppose. I'd be quite certain its on next weekend, I know a few lads working there.

excellent, thanks.

just looking for some confirmation I'm making the rite decision, spec wise, does the boardman performance hybrid comp beat both the Giant rapid 4 and Specialized sirrus sport? Would appreciate your feedback.

Boardman:
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_502557_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

Sirrus sport:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sirrus-sport-2011-hybrid-bike-ec023997

Rapid 4:
    http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/12831/giant-rapid-4-flat-bar-race-bike-medium-large-2011/

thanks.

• Advertisement

Personally Id go for the Boardman Hybrid Team (the one above the one your looking at).
    Out of those 3 Its between the Giant and Boardman , Id probably stick with Boardman if your getting it for e480. But the Giant will be lighter.

Personally Id go for the Boardman Hybrid Team (the one above the one your looking at).
    Out of those 3 Its between the Giant and Boardman , Id probably stick with Boardman if your getting it for e480. But the Giant will be lighter.

thanks for the reply.

Yeah I would love theTeam, but can't really justify, or afford the price. I'll be using it every day for my commute to ''work''(self employed, earning no money at the moment), and the odd weekend cycle, or spin to my folks house, thats it.

I originally put a deposit on the carerra subway 1, till I realized it was more of a mtb than anything else, so going for the base boardman is pushing it as it is. I was looking at the carerra vanquish road bike too:
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_272633_langId_-1_categoryId_212536
    its 720, but the guy in store said it often has 1/3 off, making it 480, but I'm guessing it's better to stick with the boardman hybrid for what I need.

If I did go for the Team, what exactly am I getting over the Comp, slightly lighter bike with slightly better components? Would it really be that noticeable for what I'd be using it for?

Thanks very much for your reply.

Checked with halfords.. They won't give me the axa 15% while their 10% offer is on:(

So my choice is now :
    The boardman performance hybrid com @ 535 euro(including discount)

Or

The giant rapid 4 (2011) at 525 euro.

I know little about bikes, so any opinions on which?
    Thanks

thanks for the reply.

Yeah I would love theTeam, but can't really justify, or afford the price. I'll be using it every day for my commute to ''work''(self employed, earning no money at the moment), and the odd weekend cycle, or spin to my folks house, thats it.

I originally put a deposit on the carerra subway 1, till I realized it was more of a mtb than anything else, so going for the base boardman is pushing it as it is. I was looking at the carerra vanquish road bike too:
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_272633_langId_-1_categoryId_212536
    its 720, but the guy in store said it often has 1/3 off, making it 480, but I'm guessing it's better to stick with the boardman hybrid for what I need.

If I did go for the Team, what exactly am I getting over the Comp, slightly lighter bike with slightly better components? Would it really be that noticeable for what I'd be using it for?

Thanks very much for your reply.

The components are bit more than slightly better, Its well worth the extra, with cycle2work your saving money anyways then your getting 15% off and free accessories.

Your getting , at a glance hydraulic brakes
    Hollotech BB
    more gears
    better wheels

Mechanical disc brakes are neither here nor there, and I would imagine the 2011 comp will not have em. Hydraulic is the way to go. Same with hollowtech, IMO the comp is spec'd like a bike 4 years ago.

The components are bit more than slightly better, Its well worth the extra, with cycle2work your saving money anyways then your getting 15% off and free accessories.

Your getting , at a glance hydraulic brakes
    Hollotech BB
    more gears
    better wheels
    Mechanical disc brakes are neither here nor there, and I would imagine the 2011 comp will not have em. Hydraulic is the way to go. Same with hollowtech, IMO the comp is spec'd like a bike 4 years ago.

Hi Kona,

Thanks for your reply, you obviously know your stuff and I value your opinion, and I can see how, from your point view, it's better value to go for the above Boardman rather the the base model comp, as you are probably a keen cyclist.

However, if you put yourself into my shoes: I will be using it for my daily commute(10 mile round trip) and some weekend lesiure cycles..is it still worth the extra cash to someone like me? What are the extra benefits I am likely to notice if I spend the extra cash on this bike?

The back to work scheme doesn't offer a lot to me as I'm currently living off savings(not getting a salary so cant offset income tax against the bike), and any money my business earns goes straight to my Landlord (who I currently owe nearly a hundred grand, and am tied into a nasty lease:( -anyway thats another story!)

So, to sum up, if you think it would be worthwhile for someone like myself to spend the extra cash on the Team bike , I probably will, but if not it will be either the Comp or the Giant rapid 4, whichever you think is a better buy(both are coming in at around the same price).

Thanks a mill for all your input so far.:)

Hi Kona,

Thanks for your reply, you obviously know your stuff and I value your opinion, and I can see how, from your point view, it's better value to go for the above Boardman rather the the base model comp, as you are probably a keen cyclist.

However, if you put yourself into my shoes: I will be using it for my daily commute(10 mile round trip) and some weekend lesiure cycles..is it still worth the extra cash to someone like me? What are the extra benefits I am likely to notice if I spend the extra cash on this bike?

The back to work scheme doesn't offer a lot to me as I'm currently living off savings(not getting a salary so cant offset income tax against the bike), and any money my business earns goes straight to my Landlord (who I currently owe nearly a hundred grand, and am tied into a nasty lease:( -anyway thats another story!)

So, to sum up, if you think it would be worthwhile for someone like myself to spend the extra cash on the Team bike , I probably will, but if not it will be either the Comp or the Giant rapid 4, whichever you think is a better buy(both are coming in at around the same price).

Thanks a mill for all your input so far.:)

The comp will serve you fine, its a good bike, however personally I rather spend a lil bit extra to get better specs, you could call it futureproofing.

Just dont skimp on the lock, I know the guts of e100 on a lock is alot but its not when your bike is stolen due to using a cheaper lock.

The comp will serve you fine, its a good bike, however personally I rather spend a lil bit extra to get better specs, you could call it futureproofing.

Just dont skimp on the lock, I know the guts of e100 on a lock is alot but its not when your bike is stolen due to using a cheaper lock.

Yep, so u reckon the boardman over the rapid 4?

This is the lock I was planning on getting
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_231103_langId_-1_categoryId_212470

If it's not good enough, then perhaps the kryptonite new York .

Yep, so u reckon the boardman over the rapid 4?

This is the lock I was planning on getting
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_231103_langId_-1_categoryId_212470

If it's not good enough, then perhaps the kryptonite new York .

That lock is okay, and considering the QR wheels, its useful. But the kryptonite fagheddabouit would be better along with a extender cable.

That lock is okay, and considering the QR wheels, its useful. But the kryptonite fagheddabouit would be better along with a extender cable.

Yeah , my mate who is a courier has that and swears by it.

I often wonder though, some people buying a bike for commuting etc, will often pay more for a bike with lightweight carbon parts etc, only to weight it rite back own by attaching a lock like this to the frame:confused:

Yeah , my mate who is a courier has that and swears by it.

I often wonder though, some people buying a bike for commuting etc, will often pay more for a bike with lightweight carbon parts etc, only to weight it rite back own by attaching a lock like this to the frame:confused:

Just leave the lock in work, dont bother attaching it to the bike, wrecks the paint and in any case they are useless IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I assume some people might have to stop en-route for some reason.

BostonB wrote: »
    I assume some people might have to stop en-route for some reason.

I dont, Im sure others dont. Obviously if you actually do stop en route, then you wouldnt be dumb enough to leave the lock in work, just take it with you.

hi Kona,

Had a goof look over the Boardman and the Rapid 4(2010) yesterday.

A couple of things I noticed:

-the gear levers(shifters I think they are called?) on the boardman are activated by the thumb, whether you are going up or down a gear, where as the giant use the thumb and forefinger, which I thought was much more comfortable.

-the Giant has 24 gears, the Boardman 18..I'm guessing the 24 option gived you a bigger range from the lowest to the highest gear, which is better, no?

-Weight wise the seem the same

this is all my untrained eyes observed, am I missing some more important points that make the Boardman the better option? Both coming in around 525 euro.
    Thanks

hi Kona,

Had a goof look over the Boardman and the Rapid 4(2010) yesterday.

A couple of things I noticed:

-the gear levers(shifters I think they are called?) on the boardman are activated by the thumb, whether you are going up or down a gear, where as the giant use the thumb and forefinger, which I thought was much more comfortable.

Thats because Boardman is SRAM and Giant is Shimano. I have Shimano Deore and Deore XT on two of my bikes, both are 2008 models so is can either use Push push or pull push. I prefer to use the Push Push as it leaves me able to cover my brakes easier and more comfortable.
    However You said you prefer to pull push so Thats 1 for the Giant.
    -the Giant has 24 gears, the Boardman 18..I'm guessing the 24 option gived you a bigger range from the lowest to the highest gear, which is better, no?.

The Giant has 8 gears at the back and 3 on the front 3 x 8 = 24 gears.
    Boardman has 9 gears at the back and 2 on the front. 2 x 9 = 18 gears.

The boardman will get better speed as it doesnt have a granny ring ( the smallest ring up front) it also has a Larger top gear!. The Boardman is more orientated towards a racer. Infact if you changed the Ratio on the rear cassette you would have a Racers Gear set up.

So Id give a point to the Boardman on gears
    this is all my untrained eyes observed, am I missing some more important points that make the Boardman the better option? Both coming in around 525 euro.
    Thanks

Another point to note is the Brakes, Discs IMO for commuting are more durable than rim brakes, they allow you to cycle with a buckle, the pads last longer and they are more consistant in the wet than rim brakes, also they dont wear on the rim so no need to replace that in a few years.

I dont, Im sure others dont. Obviously if you actually do stop en route, then you wouldnt be dumb enough to leave the lock in work, just take it with you.

I don't either. Well actually I carry a light cable lock, if I need to run into a shop on the way. But leave a proper heavy lock at either end of the commute.

Anyway the comment was in relation to why "some" carry a lock.

I don't either. Well actually I carry a light cable lock, if I need to run into a shop on the way. But leave a proper heavy lock at either end of the commute.

Anyway the comment was in relation to why "some" carry a lock.

Its quite obvious why people carry a lock in fairness. I was suggesting a way around lugging a few extra kilos on the commute.

I expect some don't want to buy two expensive locks either. Or they are not going far enough that a little bit of weight makes all the difference. Also some places cut off locks left on the racks. My work did that, but warned people before hand. Some who were on holidays did't find out till too late. At the time I was surprised how many other cyclist voiced annoyance at the locks left of the rack. As often they were in the way.

I expect some don't want to buy two expensive locks either. Or they are not going far enough that a little bit of weight makes all the difference. Also some places cut off locks left on the racks. My work did that, but warned people before hand. Some who were on holidays did't find out till too late. At the time I was surprised how many other cyclist voiced annoyance at the locks left of the rack. As often they were in the way.

If the locks are in the way I imagine you dont have enough bike space in work. Either that or people are carelessly abandoning the locks as opposed to leaving them there.
    I dont travel that far but, when you have other stuff in the bag, and besides I find in a bag the lock pushes into my back, not too comfy.

True. In fairness they are those racks that you need to put your wheel in just right. If theres a lock in the way you can't do that. So if someone lazy in where they leave their lock it would be annoying. its like those people who like to balance their bike against the rack so if you touch it, it collapses in a heap. Rather than putting it in the rack properly.

Personally the more I carry, the more I have to remember to get ready and bring. More time getting ready. So the less the better. I leave a spare key in the office, so if I forget my keys I can still lock the bike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement