Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about giving someone a key to your rented accommodation

Options
  • 25-10-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I'm living in a large house consisting of 4 flats, each of which has a private tenant/s. I recently noticed that one tenant (living in a 1 bed flat) has given a key/keys to the house to his friends.

It is a very secure house, with a front door key needed for access to gain entry, and I know for sure that at least one of his friends has this key, as just today my flatmate noticed him entering and exiting the building, off his own bunch of keys. We think maybe more of his friends have access also.

I just find it annoying that people who aren't part of the lease can access private property as they please, anytime they please. I'm just wondering what rights would the landlord have in this situation, where one of his or her tenants has gone and cut a key for an external person, and should I say something to either the tenant, or the landlord, or has anyone else done this?

Thanks if anyone knows!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Could you elaborate on what the actual problem is? e.g. is the person with a key a criminal or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I would have thought it was pretty standard for a friend to have a spare set of keys, in case the tenant's keys get lost/ stolen (landlord may be far away), and to look after mail etc when tenant is away.

Now, if friend seems to be living there, that is a different matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Could you elaborate on what the actual problem is? e.g. is the person with a key a criminal or something like that?

The OP wouldn't know and that's the problem. If several people who don't live there have keys and are coming in and out of the building whats to stop them breaking things/causing damage that the people actually living there end up having to pay for? Had this happen when living in a block of flats a few years back were some guys who didn't live in the building set off the sprinklers messing around with a football, caused alot of water damage and it was a nightmare getting the insurance to pay up for the contents damage due to one resident in the building having given keys to these guys.

silja wrote: »
    I would have thought it was pretty standard for a friend to have a spare set of keys, in case the tenant's keys get lost/ stolen (landlord may be far away), and to look after mail etc when tenant is away.

Alot of people are in the habit of doing this and I've done it myself in the past but most leases do say your not allowed make copies of any of the keys without asking the Landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 -jethro-

thanks for the replies, that answers my question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

ztoical wrote: »
    The OP wouldn't know and that's the problem.

But his neighbours could be criminals too. So could the man who comes to fix his oven, etc.

I really think the OP is making much ado about nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement