Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6(ish) weeks of travelling ... ??

• 25-10-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,
    I know everyone will have different opinions on this but I am just looking for some interesting options and people's experiences...
    My boyfriend and I are thinking about going away for about 6 weeks next July/Aug. This is the only time we can go (Teachers!)
    Trailfinders do these round the world flights where you pick a few destinations to stop off in. I don't think either of us are too fussy about where we go, except for NZ.
    Two trips I like the sound of are
    Dublin - Moscow - Hong Kong - Sydney - Fiji - Auckland - Los Angeles - New York.
    Dublin - Nairobi - overland - Johannesburg - Sydney - Auckland - Santiago - overland - Rio de Janeiro - Dublin

Anyone do these kind of trips before?
    Any other ways of organising them apart from Trailfinders? (I am a novice at this kind of thing).

I just don't want to go on another 'resort' holiday. I want to see things and experience things :)

One last question ... ball park figure of money needed would also help.

I know its a long post but ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you. :P

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Look at the Independent Travel forum. At the top there is a sticky with lots of threads on this sort of thing.

In short, both of those are impossible in 6 week. The first would mean about 4 days in each city, then one day of travelling before 4 days in another city, some of which would be spent recovering from jetlag.

For the second - Nairobi to Johannesburg would take you three weeks if you rushed it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

These are both ridiculous itineraries for 6 weeks. You'd see nothing but airports and be absolutely shattered by the end if you managed the first one. Nairobi-Jo'burg overland on its own takes two months on average.

Why not pick one geographical area and spend 6 weeks exploring it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Was going to suggest the same as pickarooney. Pick one or max 2 areas.

Santiago-Rio will also be very time consuming. Lot to see between the two cities, without detouring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

totally agree with what everyone above said. you need to do a couple of places well instead of rush jobs in the rest where you'll see nothing. when travelling the days you're flying take up more time than you think with transfers, to & from the airport and crap airline times wasting days of your time.
    we did 6 weeks in south america 2 years ago and that was a rush job!! but then again we said all want wanted to definitely do was macchu pichu, the amazon and iguazu falls so everything else we did was a bonus. we still got a world cup game in buenos aires, visit to la paz and a few days in ipenema in.

don't forget it'll be winter down in nz in july and august! queenstown is gorgeous that time of year but would mean you'd need warm and cold clothes if doing africa too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Personally, I wouldn't plan anything other than the first week. I'd also make a rule that the only flight I would take would be home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement