Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any drawbacks to using the same port for multiple protocols?

Options
  • 25-10-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

I use HTTPS on 8080 to connect remotely to computers most of the day on a computer that uses the same port for the proxy on the local network.

I have configured PuTTY to SSH out on 8080, and although everything appears to work I'm wondering if SSH, HTTP and SSL/TLS would cause any sort of conflict or latency.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If all the connections are outgoing to port 8080 on external servers, then no you're fine.

You can use a tool that allows you to view the network connections (like the network tab of Resource Monitor or netstat -ba).
    You'll see that after your program sends a request out on port 8080 to the other machine, it'll assign a local port for that connection to listen to responses, usually somewhere over port 49151.

It's only an issue if you try to run multiple servers on your PC trying to listen on the same port to requests from outside. In that case, the second and subsequent programs will throw an error unless you indulge in complicated identification at a router.

Advertisement