Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XBOX 360 Slim Video Format Support?

• 25-10-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭

Hey not going far of the title just wanted to know what video formats does the Xbox 360 slim support?

Im interested in HD formats too.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=558753

Not sure if this link helps you but it does talk about what codecs are supported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i use one as an extender, plays mkv (h264) and avi (divx/xvid) without issue.
    however it doesnt support dts audio so a lot of mkv files wont work becuase of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

is there any way of adding support via software hack/ add on to make dts audio format work? cause i got a choice between the two consoles and i want it to double up as a dvd player

i really want to get the xbox for kinect, sky player, bigger internal HDD.

but is it just me or does the [
    ps3
    have better codec support?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The PS3 should play more things but I've found that it stumbles with way more files than my 360 does, missing sound, sound out of sync, etc. If you're looking for a good media player I'd stay away from the consoles, the PS3 isn't properly hacked yet and I don't know if the 360 can be hacked to play more media. Also they both only play AVIs which makes it hard to find any HD stuff they'll play.

Yeah well that sucks...

I hate having 10 things to do 10 things :)
    I like on thing that does 10 things :)

The reason why i wanted a console because since they advanced a bit i thought it would double up as a media player too. This why Xbox comes first too cause it has a larger HDD. Does xbox support external hard drives?

• Advertisement

Also they both only play AVIs which makes it hard to find any HD stuff they'll play.

xbox plays mkv and ps3 plays m2ts so both are capable of HD (xbox needs lessing messing)

i havent really looked into the dts too much as i dont watch many films on the extender (screen too small)

Does xbox support external hard drives?

yes, but in fat32 only so you cant put any files bigger than 4gb on it

is there any way of adding support via software hack/ add on to make dts audio format work? cause i got a choice between the two consoles and i want it to double up as a dvd player

you can convert to ac3 in a few minutes
    if its a dvd it will output dts via hdmi afaik

Thanks for the replies ;) Think i might give the new xbox a try and if its no good ill bring it back :)

btw, im using it in extender mode so it has extra features.
    it wont detect mkv files in the dashboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Thanks for the replies ;) Think i might give the new xbox a try and if its no good ill bring it back :)

I would advise you to download TVersity to your PC. It's an alternative to Windows Media Center. TVersity will instantly transcodes any non-natively supported codec into a format that the xbox can play easily. Transcoding HD movies however, would require a pretty fast processor though.

well i got a decent enough desktop

idk ill give xbox a try first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

subway wrote: »
    xbox plays mkv and ps3 plays m2ts so both are capable of HD (xbox needs lessing messing)

i havent really looked into the dts too much as i dont watch many films on the extender (screen too small)

not naitvely....you need to use something like tversity on your laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Thread on viewing HD content from your windows 7 computer

Advertisement