Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non shed dog suitable for toddler - bichon frise?

Options
  • 25-10-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Our cocker is a bit boisterous and shedding a bit too much hair to be around our toddler. However, he loves dogs. Our plan is to get another dog for him that he can get used to and that the dog can get used to him from when its a pup.

Would a bichon frise be a good type? It's what we were thinking of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

There is not really any such thing as a non-shed dog tbh. I also don't think a bit of dog hair will harm a toddler. I've a friend with 5 dogs and a crawling baby, with a relatively normal amount of house keeping and keeping one room dog free, they're managing brilliantly.

Your cocker could be taught not to be so boisterous around the child. Believe me it can be done. My own boy who is the jumpiest, pushiest dog going now knows how to act around a smaller person. It took a good bit of training but was worth it.

I would always say it's a terrible idea to get a dog for a child, especially a toddler, they don't know the difference between a pet and a toy (ok maybe they do but you know what I mean). If you want another dog yourself great, but I'm sure the toddler wouldn't notice either way.

Bringing another dog into the family could cause problems if it's like a replacement. eg now the cocker is indoors, the bichon comes along, cocker is outdoors, looking in at this new fella getting all the love. :) May not be a well described scenario but I'm sure you understand what I mean. If you do bring another dog into the family, make sure your current dog doesn't feel left out.

I've heard bichons are great dogs with kids. I'd imagine they can be pretty delicate though so that might be something to consider. Although they are small enough not to knock the child etc, so probably a good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Bichons do shed,I have one.They are very delicate dogs and a toddler could do alot of damage to one.Bichons can be very hyper aswell and will let ye know if they are not happy.Are you keeping your cocker?A bit of dog hair wont do any harm unless your child is a very bad asthmatic?Ive 3 children and 3 dogs:).Maybe bring your cocker to training classes and bring him for lots of walks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

We had plans to get a second dog ourselves and want one that will be more suitable for the toddler than a Cocker. Our original plan was to get a second cocker but think a bichon may be more suitable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

You need to have a serious think about this one. Banishing the cocker sounds very cruel. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, two cockers can result in quite a bit of chaos if they're not getting exercised. I'm presuming you don't have the time with a young child to take the dog out for an hour a day to exhaust it and calm it down.

No, there's no such thing as a non-shed dog. Bichons are called "non-shedding" because they require daily grooming to maintain their coat. This action removes the loose hair and prevents it from being shed everywhere. Other dogs (Jack Russels spring to mind) will continue to shed everywhere no matter how much you groom them.
    If you don't have time to sit down and spend 15 minutes a day, every day, brushing and grooming your new Bichon, then it will shed everywhere just like any other dog.

I would be concerned about getting a new dog in to play with the child and putting the cocker onto a lower rung on the ladder. It might turn aggressive and challenge the Bichon for superiority or even worse it might see the child as the focus of this change and turn on the child.

You don't sound like you need two dogs at present. Shedding hair around your child is not a problem. Studies show very strongly that children who grow up around pets have stronger immune systems and less allergies than children who don't.

Try to focus your energies on the dog that you have. Take your dog and your child out for a good walk every day and the dog will become more relaxed and therefore more suitable to be around the child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

look up an irish soft coated wheaten terrier, propably the dog for you. that or a kerrie blue. both super dogs for kids and have hair so dont shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

seamus wrote: »
    Shedding hair around your child is not a problem. Studies show very strongly that children who grow up around pets have stronger immune systems and less allergies than children who don't.

Tis true! We have 3 dogs and 2 kiddies under 2. All three dogs shed to varying degrees. We give them all a quick brush in the morning and then again in the evening (and stick the hair out for composting!) and hoover around the house where appropriate. But we have no problems with the kids and dog hair and aren't too concerned about them being around it at all.

I second what has been said about concentrating on the dog you have at the moment. Also, children don't 'need' dogs although they do benefit from being brought up with them in my opinion. Dogs should be bought/acquired for the adults of the household where all the family can live alongside each other happily, but I do find it odd when people say they are going to buy a dog for their toddler. Just because a certain dog might shed less doesn't make it the best choice for a house with kids and in fact a bit of a shedder might be a better choice in terms of temperament etc.

bichon + toddler =maddness.:) x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Bichons are pretty delicate and not a suitable dog really for a toddler even more gentle toddlers, even older kids can accidently hurt or seriously injure a toy breed dog by accident. Would be a good idea to take your cocker to classes and concentrate on working on ways to calm him. Getting a second dog would mean you may have less time for the cocker and he could end up getting worse.
    Cockers a clever dog and as they get older they do chill, although Bichons are a lovely dog small puppies like that have needle sharp teeth and will go through a naughty nippy stage.
    Shedding wise a brush like the furminator can help, regular brushing and the odd trip to the groomers to give the dog a really good wash and brush will cut down a lot on the shedding, as said bichons do shed too and you'll probably notice the hairs more because they are so white.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

funkyjebus wrote: »
    look up an irish soft coated wheaten terrier, propably the dog for you. that or a kerrie blue. both super dogs for kids and have hair so dont shed.

I hope you're right :) . I have a ISCWT myself and my wife is 9 months pregnant.

He sheds feck all really and is great with neighbours and friends kids. Given that he's a ball of manic energy he's really gently with children.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

hey do you want to borrow my bichon for a few days?? PLEASE :P

That would totally put you off the idea of getting one!!

your toddler will love her, but you however will grow tired of having to spend more time looking after a dog than your own baby! :p

A pure bred bichon does not shed. I have one. So the poor dog has to be brushed like crazy, a min of twice a day, she mustn't get too wet or her hair gets matted, simply because it won't shed. But they are hypoallergenic, that's why i have one as my other half's asthmatic.

Seriously NOT a dog for a new owner with no experience of the breed, just because they perhaps typed non-shed dog into google or for someone with a demanding baby to look after.

They are absolutely brilliant with kids, my 5 yr old & 3 yr old nephews lived with her for a year and pulled her, bit her, sat on her (by accident) and not once did she bite them, shes a great temperament.
    But like people its dependent on the individual, you can get some right snappy little dogs. For a small dog shes very sturdy & hardy dog, but underneath all that fur, shes the size of a big jack russell.

Another CON - never stops barking.. little brat! latest trick is to bark at woodlice, she hates them. My house is surrounded by decking so there's millions of them to bark at. :(

I'm still amazed at her, she has lots & lots & lots of energy. not the typical lapdog that I'd imagined. Seriously just google bichon blitz & you'll get the idea. I walk her for longer than I walked my previous dog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback!

NO WAY should you ever ever get another dog just because you had a baby. A bichon takes a lot of work and expense to keep their hair in decent condition.. ie so it doesn't get matted and harm the dog. not about aesthetics. To prove this I've attached 2 pictures. And not just to show you how cute/ugly they can be.

One of her before she decided to escape into a field, get rained on & not be brushed for a few days = massive hair mats.
    2nd picture is a 2 weeks later when I had to pay the dog groomer €75 to shave it all off. :eek:

Oh yes, its costs that much every few weeks to get her cut & her ears plucked so she doesn't go deaf. Nobody told me that before I bought one!
    plus I had to buy a dog a jacket to keep it warm! honestly its crazy.

could you perhaps just brush your cocker spaniel more, you'll be amazed how much less hair will be shed around the house, once its on the end of a brush.

your current little dog & toddler will love each other to pieces if you just let them. but if you still want a bichon, then seriously come borrow mine, I could do with a break!! :D

best of luck!

Púca - Before the field madness

40063_458936881994_698326994_6474135_855510_n.jpg

Púca - After the groomer & feeling cold & sorry for herself :rolleyes:

148322_494395041994_698326994_7227433_4197769_n.jpg

Zoom Groom brushes are exelent,the amount of hair that comes off my boxers and cat with it is mad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

3 dogs, 3 cats = hoover everyday, brush pets everyday = no hair. well not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lucylu19

I have to agree with Kiya- I have a Bichon and he doesn't shed at all and plenty of hard work!! You do have to maintain his coat. My one's hair is longer than Kiya's and I have to get him groomed every 6-8 weeks depending on the lenght of his hair (i only pay €45 though and he comes home like a show dog!- Kiya I think you're groomer might be over charging!!)
    My little fella barks like mad as well. He is great with my toddler but always tries to eat her food - even after we stop him every time he still chances his luck!! I found it hard to train him as well.

I also have a one year old Lab, who is so much less work than the Bichon! Just needs longer walks and he sheds everywhere!! Each dog have their plus and minus'. if you're afraid of the hair everywhere then maybe confine the dog to one room in the house and that way you confine the mess!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Thedogspyjamas

yes, westies do not shed. so go buy a west highland white terrier tomorrow or sooner if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

yes, westies do not shed. so go buy a west highland white terrier tomorrow or sooner if you can.

Rescues will not rehome Westies to people with children under 10 and with good reason. They have similarities personality wise to breeds like the Doberman and Rottweilers. If you think you are having problems with the cocker OP, you have seen nothing till you see a Westie in action. Also yes they do shed, as with bichons the maintenance required with their coat just means loose hair is more likely to end up on the brush.

Advertisement