Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi card for desktop

Options
  • 25-10-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of advice regarding getting a wifi card for my desktop. Just wondering what type of price range I'll be looking at and what is the difficulty in installing one. I wouldn't be the most technology gifted guy but have been told they are fairly handy to install. Also where will I pick one up? Pc world?

Thanks for the help in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

you can pick it up anywhere in a computer shop, there the USB wireless, very handy and easy to install, all you have to do is plug the usb and install it via the cd, follow the wizard and you are done.

Type: depends on the wireless, if you have N band then buy one that support N ( if you have new router)
    if not new, get anything that support G band

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes the usb is the best option. Get a usb extender lead and it gives you the flexibility in positioning to try for a better signal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

dub45 wrote: »
    Yes the usb is the best option. Get a usb extender lead and it gives you the flexibility in positioning to try for a better signal too.

What sort of price range am I looking at?

Thanks for the help too guys

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

price wise, not too sure but i can't imagine it will be over 30euros, check argos cheap ones out there, belkin made

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

akamossie wrote: »
    price wise, not too sure but i can't imagine it will be over 30euros, check argos cheap ones out there, belkin made

Expect to pay about 50 -70 yogis fir a decent one. Dual band card will future-proof you if u ever decide to get a dual band router.

That's what I would do. If u buy a cheap one..u could be buying trouble..much like routers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement