Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV covering over DVD barcodes

Options
  • 25-10-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I was just in HMV today and I noticed that they now stick their own barcodes over the original barcode on the DVD itself. I noticed it because I was trying to use a barcode scanner app on my android phone to compare prices to Amazon, like I always do, and suddenly I can't do that!

Am I being overly paranoid, or are they perhaps doing this on purpose precisely to stop people scanning barcodes on their smartphones to do price checks? After all, these phones are now everywhere, and I have often browsed the DVDs in a store, checked the price and then decided to buy online thanks to these barcode apps. I can't be the only one doing this.

Speaking of which, are they even allowed to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

From what i remember, they have always done this, and it includes the price on the back. Its probably just a company policy. Some dvds have different barcodes, so its prob their way of tracking how many dvds they have under the one barcode.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

It's possibly because they use different barcodes to the ones on the DVDs. I know in one of the shops I used to work in we covered all the stock barcodes with our shop ones because the original ones wouldn't scan therefore affecting our stock figures etc

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

HMV use their own so as to confirm that the price on the sticker is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Worked in HMV - only time we stuck barcodes over barcodes was when something was on sale. Otherwise the barcode on the back takes one from full price stock (stock levels).

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

k-man wrote: »
    are they perhaps doing this on purpose precisely to stop people scanning barcodes on their smartphones to do price checks?

Eh yeah I'd say so. Like why would they want to make it easy for you :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm sure it would be much harder on same said phones to just Google or Amazon search the title, so a but pointless if thats the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The normal EAN barcode is embedded in the longer barcodes HMV use, so presumably the apps could be modified to take that into account. Failing that, search by name I guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

or if you have firefox, install invisible hand

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

open dvd case to 270 degrees or so
    slide out sleeve from plastic cover
    scan revealed barcode

I'd say they cover the other barcode to make it easier for staff. Not to confuse them with 2 different barcodes, one of are not in their system.

Advertisement