Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCD Ghost stories

Options
  • 25-10-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Seeing that its coming up to halloween,

Has anyone got any good ghost stories about the area? ( a bit like the history thread but spooky)

For example ,

i used to live in coolock and in the cadbury factory there is a hill with 12 trees on it. the story goes that the guard dogs dont walk on it because there is 12 people buried in it from a long time ago.

well you get the gist. i am sure with the amount of history around here there must be a few interesting stories.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

There is supposed haunted house down the road from the Man'O'War pub. Its an old abandoned farmhouse. Many stories have been told of strange noise's being heard eminating from the innards.*

*the fact that the people who heard the noises may have been partaking in social beverages in the above mentioned pub may have something to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

bcmf wrote: »

*the fact that the people who heard the noises may have been partaking in social beverages in the above mentioned pub may have something to do with it

this makes the stories generally better!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

Quickpenny road in Lusk (the road that leads out from the village towards the Man O War) is supposed to be haunted. As is the minister's road (from the gaa club to the garage on the old Belfast road). Apparently they couldnt bring funeral corteges in that way in bye-gone days as something would frighen the horses. I have a couple of relatives who say they've seen "something" on that road, but details are sketchy! And I heard some stories about the houses in Dun Emer near the Minister's house are haunted too. Also the old British Army Barracks near Orlynn Park is meant to be haunted too, again, cant really remember the stories!

Anyone got more info on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

I cant remember all the details, maybe someone else can re jig the memory but

The lady stairs bridge at Ardgillan used to be the site where the lady of the house used to cross to go down for a swim I think she may have drowned but I know there were serveral reported sightings over the years!!!
    Lady Hamilton I think it was!

is this the pedestrian bridge that crosses the road from ardgillan over the railway tracks. I heard about that and now everytime i drive by there at night i try not to look too hard in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Lady Hamilton would have lived in Hamilton Hall next door. 'The Lady' of the Lady's Stairs was one of the Tayleurs from Ardgillan.

There are a few stories about her:

As noted above - one is that she drowned while swimming . (Barnageeragh has notoriously bad currents & swimming there is not advised.)

Another is that her husband/fiancé/whatever died fighting in the Crimean War, but she still used to go the area by the stairs to check for his boat returning to Skerries harbour & then died of a broken heart.

bcmf wrote: »
    There is supposed haunted house down the road from the Man'O'War pub. Its an old abandoned farmhouse. Many stories have been told of strange noise's being heard eminating from the innards.*

just to add a bit to my tale.
    A few years back one of the locals was having a few beers around Christmas time. He couldnt get a lift home so gave me a call. I was miles away and told him that he would be quicker walking home which meant walking past said house.
    Long story short.......I picked him up at the corner before the house freezing cold and barely able to talk from the cold. He had stood there approx 1 hr. He refused to walk past the house even if it meant almost freezing to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Where is the haunted house near the Man O War, is back towards Murtaghs of Ballough or down towards the 5 Roads? Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Fingalian wrote: »
    Where is the haunted house near the Man O War, is back towards Murtaghs of Ballough or down towards the 5 Roads? Thanks.

Thanks to Google here it is :D
    http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.557468,-6.168837&spn=0.097891,0.22007&z=12&layer=c&cbll=53.557468,-6.168837&panoid=e5xugX5Dqywh04c7INhggQ&cbp=12,315,,0,5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Thats the house across the road from the pub on the way to Balrothery? Is that the haunted one? There is another one in the area too on the road that leads to the Lusk-Skerries road at Balcunin.

• Advertisement

Rob Fowl is in the money.
    Directions: From front door of MoW head up the small little hill that faces the pub.Go all the way down to the s-bend and its the farm house on the left.

There is also a house up at Milverton here where there can be heard strange sounds (almost sound like a deep Yorkshire accent) eminating. VERY VERY SCARY

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Lady Hamilton would have lived in Hamilton Hall next door. 'The Lady' of the Lady's Stairs was one of the Tayleurs from Ardgillan.

There are a few stories about her:

As noted above - one is that she drowned while swimming . (Barnageeragh has notoriously bad currents & swimming there is not advised.)

Another is that her husband/fiancé/whatever died fighting in the Crimean War, but she still used to go the area by the stairs to check for his boat returning to Skerries harbour & then died of a broken heart.

Thats the one! Thanks

Thats the house I was talking about. Road leads to the Skerries Road, after the farmhouse is the turn to Killalane. My google map freezes up so didn't get a good view until now, yeah its the same house as Rob Fowl one. It must not be to scary during the day with two cars parked out the front:D

Sadly not too many Ghost Stories in NCD for its size, they usually increase in areas with high poteen production, amazing that:eek:

Corsendonk wrote: »
    It must not be to scary during the day with two cars parked out the front:D

:
    That would prob be the landowner tending to the cows ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

RobFowl wrote: »

i would have shat myself if i had of zoomed in on google and seen an ery figure. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

There are plenty of Ghosts in Malahide Castle:

http://www.malahidecastle.com/ghosts.asp

Information courtesy of their website because I would always get it wrong!

The shipwreck of the New Englander off Balbriggan in 1852 resulted in 2 men lost at sea. Locals report strange lights off the rocks where the ship went down along with ghostly goings on.

I wouldn't walk around down there after dark tbh.

http://www.irishshipwrecks.com/shipwrecks.php?wreck_ref=354

A friend of mine (late 40s) used to attend some summer camp for under priviledged kids in Balbriggan every summer.... he said there was some rumour of some ghost, will have to get the name from him again next time I see him. He said there was the imprint of a big, old key in the footpath and this key tied in with the legend. It was just where someone had laid a big old key into the wet concrete of course, I imagine it's long gone now.

This would have been in the 70s I guess? Anyone know what he may have been on about? I don't see my friend that often so God knows when I'll be able to clarify this one for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

What do we really mean by haunted? I have heard a few stories about houses in Rush that are "Haunted" but I prefer to call them spirits. Yes I do believe in them and am a bit supersticious.

The Six cross lane on the Skerries Rd, Just past the protestant church. The field between the lane and the church has a big ditch and I heard from a man who was going to market that something came out of that ditch and startled his horse which died. That was in the late 1940s. In that field I heard 6 girls were burned at the stake.

The house just past the Haarbour Bar, now apartments was also haunted.

4 of us were Walking home from Loughshinny one night, from the Marquee at Fair maid festival. One of the lads and his Lady friend went into the grounds of protestant church for a litle "cuddle" I was not so brave and settled for the wall at cricket club. After about 10 minutes you man come running out with the lady behind him both in a tizzy. Both swore that a flame just hovered over them, Dont know if he came but by jeasus he went in the Road fairly quick.

I think there are a lot of spirits around a lot of the time but they are looking after us, making sure we are ok.

My experience
    My mother was very ill in hospital and I was due to go on holidays 2 years ago. We didnt tell her we were going but my wife and I went in to see her and get some advice from hospital staff, we were about to cancel the holiday but They told us to go as despite her illness she was quite strong. My mother, like a lot of elderly people always gave the kids a few bob if they going off and that night she whispered to me give this to the kids, she was tugging at the sheets like she was looking through a purse but she had nothing in her hands but thought she had. Off we went happy the next day to Italy. The Highlight of the holiday was a trip to Gardaland, a theme park. We had a great day but as I lifted my child of the last merry go round I got a text to say My mother had a taken a sudden dip. We went looking for a courier where we were staying to book us flights home but to no avail.
    That night my wife went to the Bathroom just after 2am and looked in our daughter who was kneeling up in the bed with her arms outstreached. My wife settled her down and came back to bed. My phone then rang and it was my sister to say Mother has passed away. In the morning we asked our daughter had she a dream and she told us Nana May was with her.

two things, my mother was quite protective of me as I was the youngest in our family, her baby and she didnt want me there when she passed away and Our daughter was very close to her and I believe this was my mother saying good bye but she waited for the kids to see Gardaland. I really believe this.

A very close friend of our family could not sleep soon after and went to her kitchen about 5 am. She looked out in the garden and saw my mother happily playing with a little girl, we believe it was my sister who died when she was 2yrs old. I cant explain any of this but believe it.

I am not very religious but pray for them.

great stories leo.

i would be sceptical......... until i hear that bump in the night( then i wrap the duvet over my head :D) .

i suppose what i mean by haunted is exactly what you said there........ i want to be able to walk by some where at night and have a morbid fascination about looking into that ditch in case i saw something ........ then then not wanting to see something also.

with all the history around rush and skerries i find it hard to believe there is not more urban myths about ghosts and supernatural activity.

Martron wrote: »
    with all the history around rush and skerries i find it hard to believe there is not more urban myths about ghosts and supernatural activity.

Yea I think it has to do with the lack of Indian burial grounds in the area.

I could try rustling up a good old fashioned Pagan Human sacrifice ceremony if your willing to volunteer? The tales will be legendary for years to come. All broadcast rights secured by me of course.:D

• Advertisement

well........the sacrifice would be a good idea . but i could suggest a few other names.

there is always funny stories about areas and there are a few here already. just interested in them now coming up to halloween.

Now corsendonk you are usually the almighty source of all information around here i thought you would have had something to offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

LeoB wrote: »
    4 of us were Walking home from Loughshinny one night, from the Marquee at Fair maid festival. One of the lads and his Lady friend went into the grounds of protestant church for a litle "cuddle" I was not so brave and settled for the wall at cricket club. After about 10 minutes you man come running out with the lady behind him both in a tizzy. Both swore that a flame just hovered over them, Dont know if he came but by jeasus he went in the Road fairly quick.

My sister and cousin maintain they saw a ufo/bright light above the trees next to that church, back in the early 80's sometime.

My sister and cousin maintain they saw a ufo/bright light above the trees next to that church, back in the early 80's sometime.

I believe these things as I said above. I have yet to be convinced otherwise!! or am I just afraid to tempt faith?

I have heard many stories of people who have met people, relatives generally, who have died. When my father died back in the 70s an aunt told me he will be looking after me all the time. One month after my father died a neighbour died and my mother went into the wake as everyone did around here. I was in bed but woke up and called out to her as my older brother was not in. I got a bit of a fright and to this day I believe my dad came up stairs and told me to go asleep. Maybe it was my mind but I believe this was him reassuring me.

Last year my nephew was in Hughes and Hughes in Pavilions and felt he was being watched. Next thing he was approached by a Lady who asked him about his Grandad. She described my dad and said he was standing behind him with a dog He was shocked and would have only seen him in photos. This woman described him perfectly. Brownie was the dog which my dad got me when I started National school. When my nephew got home and told his mother, my sister she gave the same description that the woman did. That to me is no coincidence.

As for the stories of the Ministers Rd and workhouses are these different is so far as they are really scarey? Lost souls who no one thinks about or says a prayer for?

great stories leo.

i would be sceptical......... until i hear that bump in the night( then i wrap the duvet over my head :D) .

Is the bump the difference between haunted as in spooky and a spirit?, thats a little different.

I spoke to a priest a good few years ago who relayed a story about a field out near Dun Laoighre and it shocked me. That was spooky.
    What I have put in the thread is probably spooky to a lot of people but to me I am happy with it. They have done me no harm.

i think its all the same really . as in you might find it grand but some might find it spooky.

as in some people like spiders and some people find them terrifying.

Still find it strange for such a populated area with so many old structures and a colourful past that there is not more stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Here's two from Balbriggan, I'm sure everyone is familiar with how scary the story is.

16jhgmt.jpg

xf5d05.jpg

not quite the folk lore i was looking for.

i think its all the same really . as in you might find it grand but some might find it spooky.

as in some people like spiders and some people find them terrifying.

Still find it strange for such a populated area with so many old structures and a colourful past that there is not more stories.

Maybe the area is full of realists?? Call me a cynic but amazing the amount of old hotels or tourist castles that suddenly develop a ghost in Ireland. A lack of these establishments in NCD might contribute to the lack of ghost stories, but hey surprise surprise two such venues Ardgillan and Malahide Castle have ghosts. Malahide has 5 actually with a child friendly one called Puck, expect to see it on ghost hunters soon!

Improved street lighting has also decreased the ghost tales. Walking along an unlit country lane plays more with the imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

My late grandmother used to fill me with stories of hauntings in Rush but I can hardly remembe1r them so I'm sorry if this is really vague.

When Palmer House was still standing there was a room in the house that used to flicker with a blue green light some nights. This is way back when the light bulb was hardly in use let alone flashing neon lights.

Theres a cove at the back of the harbour that someone supposedly drowned at and is meant to be haunted.

Last one I can remember (which I find hilarious) one of the houses right at the harbour pier used to be a B&B (her grandmother ran it) and one of the guests died there. This would have been late 1920's. This man is still supposed to haunt the house. My granny told me this is fact because she was made to empty the toilet one night and when she went to get the bucket, there was the dead man sitting on top of it. I'll never forget that as long as I live! I was only about 8 and was terrified of going to the toilet for weeks afterwards!

She also told me that the Protestant church was haunted but can't remember any detail.

To re-iterate, this could all be lies that were made up to terrify a poor child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

not quite the folk lore i was looking for.
    All joking aside there are lots in Balbriggan but they are a little hard to tell over text as they don't really get them across.

Ardgillan also has a blue/green room which is haunted.

The old bakers mill on Georges Hill in Balbriggan is/was haunted.

The Banshee was know to appear to certain Balbriggan families before a death.

Lots of stories of people walking the Skerries Road to the County Bridge.

Advertisement