Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jasper Jtag Advice

Options
  • 25-10-2010 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

I created this thread under the advice of TouchingVirus, and it will document my attempts at Jtagging a Jasper 256/512mb Xbox 360 and any problems I have had along the way

With all the wiring in place I have dumped the first 2mb of the Nand twice and compared, no differences were found

I extract the kv from the nand and find no differences, I confirmed that the CB version is 6723 so my Xbox is exploitable

Do I need to extract the config as this point?

Am I right in saying that I have two options either install Xbr or freeboot? I already have the Reverse Jtag wiring in place so I'd like to go for Xbr, where do I go from here?

http://img145.imageshack.us/i/reversejatg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

justryan wrote: »
    I created this thread under the advice of TouchingVirus, and it will document my attempts at Jtagging a Jasper 256/512mb Xbox 360 and any problems I have had along the way

With all the wiring in place I have dumped the first 2mb of the Nand twice and compared, no differences were found

I extract the kv from the nand and find no differences, I confirmed that the CB version is 6723 so my Xbox is exploitable

Do I need to extract the config as this point?

Am I right in saying that I have two options either install Xbr or freeboot? I already have the Reverse Jtag wiring in place so I'd like to go for Xbr, where do I go from here?

http://img145.imageshack.us/i/reversejatg.jpg

No need to extract the config at all. Follow that tutorial I linked for you. I advise freeboot over XBR, freeboot is on the latest dashboard version (2.0.9199).

Remove that JTAG wiring, it's poorer than the transistor method ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I have gone with xbr just out of simplicity, I am on the Xell screen and the it's connected to the network but I 404 error from Firefox, anyideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Remove that JTAG wiring, it's poorer than the transistor method ;)

Why remove it TV? I suppose it's redundant after the patched Kernel is flashed...or is there another reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

XBR is no simpler than freeBOOT. No point going XBR way.

Use the guide from TV's link. This guide is great.

Also, transistor way is 99% reliable method. with diodes you are almost sure you will get blank screens, no boot, Christmas lights etc.

docentore wrote: »
    XBR is no simpler than freeBOOT. No point going XBR way.

Use the guide from TV's link. This guide is great.

Also, transistor way is 99% reliable method. with diodes you are almost sure you will get blank screens, no boot, Christmas lights etc.

I'm learning again now :D I've used diodes on both my jtags and have no issues...tell me why! :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm gonna go with xbr for this Xbox since I'm comfortable with it I've never had any issues before I don't have any transistors and all my wiring is already setup for xbr I may put on freeboot at a later date, so far I've got xell up and running and will try to get xellous on there to dump the and over http tomorrow, solder fumes are making me dizzy :(

I'm gonna go with xbr for this Xbox since I'm comfortable with it I've never had any issues before I don't have any transistors and all my wiring is already setup for xbr I may put on freeboot at a later date, so far I've got xell up and running and will try to get xellous on there to dump the and over http tomorrow, solder fumes are making me dizzy :(

Use the guide, and use Bestpig's Freeboot Toolbox.

Basically your steps for JTAGing are:

1) Take dump of console
    2) Install Xellous
    3) Grab CPU Key
    4) Run Bestpig's tool, with CPU key and dump of console to generate freeboot
    5) Put freeboot on USB stick
    6) Put USB stick in console, power up, let Xellous update the nand
    7) Remove USB stick
    8) Reboot console, welcome to freeboot.

You don't have to "build" freeboot like in the guide. Read the whole guide thoroughly, you can skip most of step 6.

Freeboot > XBR, if only because it is on the latest dashboard version and can play any game without requiring an update.

Docentore is right, the transistor method is a safer way to pull the SMC in your favour and is less prone to problems. And it isn't redundant, you shouldn't remove it. The SMC needs to be pulled every time the console is powered on or you'll get a red ring ;)

Use the guide, and use Bestpig's Freeboot Toolbox.

Basically your steps for JTAGing are:

1) Take dump of console
    2) Install Xellous
    3) Grab CPU Key
    4) Run Bestpig's tool, with CPU key and dump of console to generate freeboot
    5) Put freeboot on USB stick
    6) Put USB stick in console, power up, let Xellous update the nand
    7) Remove USB stick
    8) Reboot console, welcome to freeboot.

You don't have to "build" freeboot like in the guide. Read the whole guide thoroughly, you can skip most of step 6.

Freeboot > XBR, if only because it is on the latest dashboard version and can play any game without requiring an update.

Docentore is right, the transistor method is a safer way to pull the SMC in your favour and is less prone to problems. And it isn't redundant, you shouldn't remove it. The SMC needs to be pulled every time the console is powered on or you'll get a red ring ;)

Take heed of this mans words. I spent the whole evening migrating from XBR to freeBOOT & even made a fancy photo diary as a thread (prob on page 2/3 by now), and thought I looked so cool & technical. This joker above then comes along & says yeah thats cool and all, but bestpigs tool would have saved you an evenings work, it's a one click image generatror! :D

I used it two nights ago on my 2nd jtag to build a freeBOOT image out of my clean nand dump, and to be fair, it's absoloutely brilliant. No building images or faffing about with keys/locks/cia & fbi codes...I punched in my cpy key from Xell and bang, it generated the freeboot image for me. I flashed it on and it's perfect :cool:

I think I'll put Xbr on the arcade and give freeboot a bash on the Halo edition console, so far I have flashed back the nands first 2mb after I ran into problems I just have Xell on now and I am going to try install Xbr through Gentoo Live V2 I'll report and issues or progress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'm learning again now :D I've used diodes on both my jtags and have no issues...tell me why! :pac:

if you don't have any issues then you're fine. But I'm going to stick with transistor method for every new jtag I do. I've seen issues on Zephyrs, Falcons and Jaspers. Those where when I used 1N4048 diodes. Most of issues where resolved when I moved to BAT41 diodes.

oh one more thing, I heard somewhere that those diodes might fall after some time.

• Advertisement

Ran into some issues when trying the Gentoo method, Xbox froze someway between flash xbr.bin to the nand. I say the image on the nand is ruined by now is there any way to rebuild my original I have the first 2mb, extracted the kv and config and Xell can also give me the CPU key

I told you already how to go about this, follow the guide and forget about XBR. Freeboot is the way forward and there's no need for Gentoo or any of that crap.

As for rebuilding the NAND, not here I'm afraid. Sure you wouldn't return a JTAG to stock anyways, there's no need to since you'll be removing the efuses anyways.

You don't need the nand backup, by the sound of it you have all you need.

Oh, and write the CPU key down right now, on paper. You cannot be too careful with the CPU key, it is the key to have.

Problem solved tried a recompiled version of iflash.c for big blocks, I now have Xbr running on dash 8199

TouchingVirus thanks for your help, I will try out freeboot on my halo edition, this one is for personal use :D

Problem solved tried a recompiled version of iflash.c for big blocks, I now have Xbr running on dash 8199

TouchingVirus thanks for your help, I will try out freeboot on my halo edition, this one is for personal use :D

Freeboot isn't a beta dude, it's stable. Choosing XBR (dash 8955) over Freeboot (Dash 9199) is like choosing a piece of burnt toast over a golden brown one. Like choosing a Renault over a BMW. Like choosing a rowing boat over a yacht. Like choosing a bedsit over a house. Like... you get the picture.

There are no reasons whatsoever that I know of as to why you'd choose XBR over Freeboot :confused:

I like the analogies, to be honest I am just itching to play Xbox since I sold my previous jtags so I thought Xbr would be the quickest route to get it up and running. Would it be possible at a later time to 'upgrade' it to freeboot?

No, XBR certainly isn't easier to get up and running. And while it's certainly possible to upgrade you made it hard for yourself by not dumping the 64mb of your original nand :)

I don't know much about upgrading from XBR to Freeboot but EnterNow did a post on it that you can find if you search the threads from the last while :)

Bestpig Toolbox did the job it's no longer on XBR I now have freeBOOT with 9199 dash :D

Bestpig Toolbox did the job it's no longer on XBR I now have freeBOOT with 9199 dash :D

Bestpig's freeBOOT toolbox FTW! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I use Coolshrimp's tool myself, all the same! Saves so much stress.. Gotta build myself a USB SPI tool come to think of it..

If ya haven't the full nand dump, ya can get clean ones to paste your KV + config into, if you look in the right places.

When the new dash rolls out as a requirement (read about flashed drives already not reading backups on it) you'll need to delete the "System Update" folder inside games folder, incase ya don't know!

Now to dump the contents of a corrupted HDD that has about 20 Nand dumps + CPU keys on it which weren't backed up.. D'oh!

Wez wrote: »
    When the new dash rolls out as a requirement (read about flashed drives already not reading backups on it) you'll need to delete the "System Update" folder inside games folder, incase ya don't know!

Don't you know there's a ban wave coming? And by coming I mean it's already begun. Customer Service are already getting calls :p One thing's for sure, they're not getting me this time around anyways :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement