Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Idiots on Facebook

• 25-10-2010 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Find it amusing that there are so many people on Facebook that post all of there personal information on their page, and don't keep it private, open to Parents, Cousins, Aunts and Uncles, and probably worst of all, potential employers.

Just talking to my house mate the other day who is does job interviews for Airtricity and the first thing he does is check if there Facebook page is off private and scours through it, he said the amont of potential employees he's turned down because of it is unbelievable. Some of the groups people join, some of the photos that are viewable of them, the dirty/inappropriate status updates, aswell as some undesirable friends is just unbelievable. It can damage your reputation amongst your family also. Some people won't care about this, but I suspect the majority would.

Just a heads up to people who don't have their facebook on private.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Facebook is for idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

All my facebook activities are quite acceptable I would hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Find it amusing that there are so many people on Facebook that post all of there personal information on their page, and don't keep it private, open to Parents, Cousins, Aunts and Uncles, and probably worst of all, potential employers.

Just talking to my house mate the other day who is does job interviews for Airtricity and the first thing he does is check if there Facebook page is off private and scours through it, he said the amont of potential employees he's turned down because of it is unbelievable. Some of the groups people join, some of the photos that are viewable of them, the dirty/inappropriate status updates, aswell as some undesirable friends is just unbelievable. It can damage your reputation amongst your family also. Some people won't care about this, but I suspect the majority would.

Welcome to 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Facebook is for idiots.

You're so cool :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

i knew someone who was bringing a case against their landlord because he was a dick and he took forever to fix anything. they were all ready to take him to the cleaners but the landlord found her public facebook page where she had been slagging him off and calling him every name under the sun. the landlord printed these off and threatened to sue for slander. they dropped the case against him :D:D:D

so yeah if your on facebook you are a moron and if your page is public you are an enormous moron :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

It's called "football"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Facebook is for idiots.

billy no mates

Lemegeton wrote: »
    i knew someone who was bringing a case against their landlord because he was a dick and he took forever to fix anything. they were all ready to take him to the cleaners but the landlord found her public facebook page where she had been slagging him off and calling him every name under the sun. the landlord printed these off and threatened to sue for slander. they dropped the case against him :D:D:D

so yeah if your on facebook you are a moron and if your page is public you are an enormous moron :D
    Idiots for doing that. Truth and opinion are defences to a claim for defamation. No such thing as slander in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

bryanjf wrote: »
    billy no mates
    I can haz like 10,000 internet frendz?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

I haz 10,001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Facebook stalking would be awful boring if everyone had their profile private!

I think there is still a 5000 friend limit on facebook

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Facebook stalking would be awful boring if everyone had their profile private!
    Takes about 2 minutes to get into somebodys private photo albums :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I think I'll set-up a fake account and invite all my colleagues to be friends and then rat them out to the boss about what they are up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

People get caught out the whole time through it.

Joe: Grandfather just died....won't be in till next week, funeral is on Thursday.

Boss: No Problem, Sorry to hear about your loss, see you next week.

2 days later

Boss checks Joe's facebook page.

Joe has changed his current location to Ibiza, Spain. Oh look a new status update : Round 3, booze cruise!. 78 new pics added. Title of photo album ''Ibiza 2010''.

Boss calls Joe.

Joe: You have reached the 02 voicemail of 086.....

Boss: Your fukcing fired you lying piece of sh!t.

People get caught out the whole time through it.

Joe: Grandfather just died....won't be in till next week, funeral is on Thursday.

Boss: No Problem, Sorry to hear about your loss, see you next week.

2 days later

Boss checks Joe's facebook page.

Joe has changed his current location to Ibiza, Spain. Oh look a new status update : Round 3, booze cruise!. 78 new pics added. Title of photo album ''Ibiza 2010''.

Boss calls Joe.

Joe: You have reached the 02 voicemail of 086.....

Boss: Your fukcing fired you lying piece of sh!t.
    Not necessarily grounds for termination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Teutorix wrote: »

Um, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

There not all idiots.

This twit who uses Boards is though:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

The stuff they post make them look like the biggest gobshite in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

to be fair i didn't know some of it was public till recently:o my settings changed when they updated the privacy settings...:eek:

fixed it now though;) in case you after hours freaks decide to try snoop! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

ah, the auld ones are still the best ones.

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    Um, no.
    um, yep, if somebody is tagged in a private album and dont have thier profile on private or you are friends with them you can view the entire album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

one of my fb friends announced the other day that he has a lovely dose of herpes. why anyone would announce that regardless of the privacy settings is a mystery.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    There not all idiots.

DAMN IT'S ME!!! :(

:D

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    one of my fb friends announced the other day that he has a lovely dose of herpes. why anyone would announce that regardless of the privacy settings is a mystery.

Sounds like he was fraped..

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

There not all idiots.

Reported :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

f0ggy92 wrote: »

The wonders of frape.

Caco wrote: »
    Reported :(
    He'll get a 3 day ban for that. :D

I know from experience :(

OisinT wrote: »
    He'll get a 3 day ban for that. :D

I know from experience :(

Oh yeah-welcome back :pac:

Haha, no need for a ban, poor fella was just trying to be funny. stress on the ''trying'' :p

• Advertisement

Thanks! It was nice to ban me on a bank holiday weekend. Keep me out of the house and off the computer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Ah yeah, I know some people who have been caught rotten with the things they put up on Facebook, Bebo back in the day, Boards, and some other places.

All sorts of stupid statements, getting caught slagging people off, making accusations, making fake accounts pretending to be other people, hilarious stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It's crazy what you can pick up from Facebook when people post up too much information and don't have any sort of privacy lock.

Case in point, recently a few weeks back I was out and met this guy in the smoking area of a niteclub. He told me his first name and that he barely knew some girl I knew from another town. Later on that night he started a fight with my friend (Lost badly, might I add :pac:) and never saw him again.

Anywho, for shìts and giggles I thought I'd find him with his first name by means of the girl he supposedly knew. So, I go to her profile, check her friends, find him and...........wallah!...........I found out absolutely everything about him:
    • His name
    • his birthday
    • name of his siblings
    • his address
    • What college he goes to
    • his photos showing where he hangs out

^^^Now that was the end of that, I don't plan on using it for anything other than to further cement my idea on how daft it is to post up everything about yourself on Facebook.

Just goes to show how easy it is to find someone when you have even a tidbit of info from them. :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

There not all idiots.

That scared the crap out of me! I thought you posted a link to my profile for everyone on boards to see!

Damn you, OutlawPete :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah I find it a bit creepy how you can find out so much about people even when their profile is on private. I keep my facebook pretty private and even then you can still see my date of birth, my secondary school, my college and various stuff I "like". I don't tend to put anything too dodgy on facebook anyway.

Still and all, maybe that's why I'm having such trouble finding a Christmas job :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

There not all idiots.

I'll admit it, you got me! Heart in mouth for a couple of seconds :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Facebook is for idiots.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I'll admit it, you got me! Heart in mouth for a couple of seconds :o

It pops up every so often! I think it gets everyone the first time!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Find it amusing that there are so many people on Facebook that post all of there personal information on their page

I find it amusing that people still don't know the difference between there, their and they're.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I find it amusing that people still don't know the difference between there, their and they're.

You probably need to get out more, it that's the case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

My Family knows the kind of guy I am... posting jokes or joining "Groups / Likes" that reflect that... affect me how?

What use is that? If I was to give you my name, you'd find at least 50 other people with the same name as me to trawl through first. Even if it's on Facebook, posts there aren't considered public domain either...

Heads up... after all the other heads ups on MetroHerald / Sky News / Daily Rags pushing on about how we give out too much details about ourselves?

What's wrong with having a few drinks and a few laughs... and having silly photo's taken of you and put up on your profile?

I think that's pretty dam lame. Judge a canditate on the professionalism they show in the interview, not on their personal life...

• Advertisement

oh reply fail! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I'm sure you mean 'if that's the case.' :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's not there fault, maybe they're doing it on purpose for there - and others - amusement!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

I get more pissed off with the people that are constantly on it. I had a girlfriend that couldn't go 5 mins without checking it. She even had to get her sister to change her password when her exams came around and even then she would go on MINE because she knew my password. It bugged the hell outta me and it was kinda embarrassing...

oh reply fail! :D
    I'm sure you mean 'if that's the case.' :D

Damn ye,

I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Lemegeton wrote: »

Idiots for doing that. Truth and opinion are defences to a claim for defamation. No such thing as slander in this country.

The thing is that it's Facebook who would be in trouble for publishing that stuff.
    Don't ever let anyone tell you that they are suing you for slander or defamation of character on Facebook. They can't do it.

They can try to sue Facebook, but not you. It's the same way that if you post something libellous here, it's boards who end up in court.

I read an article about solicitors in Cardiff currently cleaning up with libel and defamation cases against Facebook. Having said that, if you have friends who constantly post stuff like "Terry eats small babies and took a dump in my driveway", then you really need some new friends (unless they are taking the piss, like I'll do later on a friend's wall). You get the idea though. The type of people who are always bitching about their exes or someone they just had a bitchfight with about a pair of shoes or something, who then post skangery updates.

Then there's the fact that if you put up pics of yourself lying in a pool of vomit on that island off the North West coast of Africa where all the skangers go (can't remember the name of it right now), you're just looking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Facebook is a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    Facebook is a waste of time.
    Not if you use it properly and take the piss out of everyone in a really sublte way.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

Teutorix wrote: »

Really??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭STIG83

There not all idiots.

You got me too!! but then i realized my FB is set to fully private

• Advertisement
Advertisement