Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need recs for a good laptop have 500 -600 euro to spend

• 25-10-2010 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I have a Packard Bell which has broke i am being refunded 500 euro from PC world seen as the laptop was actually sold to me faulty , Nvidia Graphics Card was Defective. I need recs for a good laptop for 500 to 600 euro. I watch a lot of you tube videos, films on line so a good Graphics card is required. Gaming on line as well. I'm not very well up on computers i don't know what processor's are the best things like that so any recs would be great.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

lil_tuts wrote: »
    I have a Packard Bell which has broke i am being refunded 500 euro from PC world seen as the laptop was actually sold to me faulty , Nvidia Graphics Card was Defective. I need recs for a good laptop for 500 to 600 euro. I watch a lot of you tube videos, films on line so a good Graphics card is required. Gaming on line as well. I'm not very well up on computers i don't know what processor's are the best things like that so any recs would be great.
    Thanks
    You dont really nead a good graphics card for that type of use to be completely honest - although it depends what games you play online.

All I would say (as there are tonnes of laptops out there)
    Avoid anything with an Intel Celeron processor or anything with an AMD Semperon processor.
    Try get a machine with as much RAM (3 or 4 gigabytes) as you can afford.
    Everything else is pretty much irrelevant for what you want to do.
    Most machines come with WLAN on board nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

kippy wrote: »
    You dont really nead a good graphics card for that type of use to be completely honest - although it depends what games you play online.

All I would say (as there are tonnes of laptops out there)
    Avoid anything with an Intel Celeron processor or anything with an AMD Semperon processor.
    Try get a machine with as much RAM (3 or 4 gigabytes) as you can afford.
    Everything else is pretty much irrelevant for what you want to do.
    Most machines come with WLAN on board nowadays.

Ok thanks , why those two processors ? just out of interest ? Do you know what would be considered the most up to date processor?

Ok thanks , why those two processors ? just out of interest ? Do you know what would be considered the most up to date processor?
    Without getting into too much detail, they are the bottom range and worst from both Intel and AMD.

The most recent range from Intel are the Core i range.
    i3,i5 and i7.
    For your budget you could probably get a machine with an i3 processor, which I would highly recommend, typically faster and more power efficient than the similiar family a generation before.

Without getting into too much detail, they are the bottom range and worst from both Intel and AMD.

The most recent range from Intel are the Core i range.
    i3,i5 and i7.
    For your budget you could probably get a machine with an i3 processor, which I would highly recommend, typically faster and more power efficient than the similiar family a generation before.

Brilliant thanks i will look into those

Brilliant thanks i will look into those

If you see something online, post a link here and will have a look over it.
    What games do you play online? It could be relevant for the graphics card but for most high end games that budget wouldnt get a machine with good enough graphics.

• Advertisement

If you see something online, post a link here and will have a look over it.
    What games do you play online? It could be relevant for the graphics card but for most high end games that budget wouldnt get a machine with good enough graphics.

The sims lol and im no teenager time to grow up maybe but i do record and watch videos on Youtube as well im not sure what that requires. Just having a look on sony website now dunno if they will have anything for that price but worth a look no prices on there website:)

http://www.sony.ie/product/vn-e-series/vpceb3j0e-wi

The sims lol and im no teenager time to grow up maybe but i do record and watch videos on Youtube as well im not sure what that requires. Just having a look on sony website now dunno if they will have anything for that price but worth a look no prices on there website:)

http://www.sony.ie/product/vn-e-series/vpceb3j0e-wi

You dont need a crazy graphics card for that.

Personally, I avoid Sony products. I believe you are paying a significant premium (with very little to back it up) for the name. Thats probably just me though, others would possibly disagree.
    That is a decent specced machine by the way but I suspect it would be out of your price range.
    Personally, I would go for something like this:
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE2004921#spec

You dont need a crazy graphics card for that.

Personally, I avoid Sony products. I believe you are paying a significant premium (with very little to back it up) for the name. Thats probably just me though, others would possibly disagree.
    That is a decent specced machine by the way but I suspect it would be out of your price range.
    Personally, I would go for something like this:
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE2004921#spec

Thats Ironic Hp were the ones i was trying to stay away from when my Graphics card went i had read terrible things about Hp online. Thanks for all the help guess i will just have to shop around see what i can get for my money :)

Thats Ironic Hp were the ones i was trying to stay away from when my Graphics card went i had read terrible things about Hp online. Thanks for all the help guess i will just have to shop around see what i can get for my money :)

You will hear bad stories about EVERY brand of laptop - also a lot of the statistical surveys are just that, statistics, and statistics are anything but reflective of "real life".
    The brand you get is up to you in the end. I've had experience with a number of different models and seen wildly similiar failure rates (outside of accidental damage)

I do guarantee you one thing, that sony machin is going to be well outside the top end of your budget.

You will hear bad stories about EVERY brand of laptop - also a lot of the statistical surveys are just that, statistics, and statistics are anything but reflective of "real life".
    The brand you get is up to you in the end. I've had experience with a number of different models and seen wildly similiar failure rates (outside of accidental damage)

I do guarantee you one thing, that sony machin is going to be well outside the top end of your budget.

I thought as much Sony are pricey. Thanks i will look into that HP Laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Advertisement