Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrick on Shannon

Options
  • 25-10-2010 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

I am a regular enough visitor to Carrick. I have noticed the apartments on the Sligo side of the bridge are gone awfully scruffy looking. They look unlived in.

Are these the ones that were flooded last year. Maybe they are unoccupied but they really make the town scruffy looking and it is a beautiful place. Someone told me that the supermarket was being demolished because of the flood. Does anyone have any more information on that.

Looking forward to my next trip up to Moon River...:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

More housing built in Carrick than it could sustain jobs wise. If they sold them cheap enough, I'm sure they'd sell, but an inertia of greed and legal wranglings have meant many houses and appartments are unsaleable. Don't know the specifics of those particular appartments, but to be honest they never should've been built there. It was a swamp and had to be pile driven for months before they started. They should've realised it'd flood at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I agree with you there. AFAIK the supervalu and tesco are also built on similar ground. Brown envelope again I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I agree with you there. AFAIK the supervalu and tesco are also built on similar ground. Brown envelope again I suppose.

Supervalu was built on similar ground by the same developers/owners.
    Tesco was built on solid ground that never flooded in the 30 years that I have been around Carrick on Shannon. Where woodies is built always flooded. But it was built on stilts so even if the water does rise up underneath it, it won't flood the building overhead. Smarter planning, but I still think that there were loads of other sites around carrick on shannon to build retail developments that didn't need pile driving or stilts to support the buildings.

reilig wrote: »
    Supervalu was built on similar ground by the same developers/owners.
    Tesco was built on solid ground that never flooded in the 30 years that I have been around Carrick on Shannon. Where woodies is built always flooded. But it was built on stilts so even if the water does rise up underneath it, it won't flood the building overhead. Smarter planning, but I still think that there were loads of other sites around carrick on shannon to build retail developments that didn't need pile driving or stilts to support the buildings.

The land that gets zoned depends less on it's location and suitability for building , than it does on who owns it and who stands to make a killing.

il gatto wrote: »
    The land that gets zoned depends less on it's location and suitability for building , than it does on who owns it and who stands to make a killing.

Funny that it was a standing county councillor that owned the land that tesco was built on so :D

• Advertisement

Funny that it was a standing county councillor that owned the land that tesco was built on so :D

Anyone know are these places around Supervalu being demolished..

Haven't heard that at all and if it were true I'm sure it would have been full blown on the front of the local paper. A friend who is a painter went in there to paint one of the apartments and he said that you never saw anything like it. The walls were black from condensation. The only heating in them is from storage heaters. God help anyone who was foolish enough to buy one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

no , they are been refurbished , insurance pays out first time flooding i suppose ,next time they flood they probably be knocked , 3 similar blocks in enniskillen had to be demolished owners were paid what they paid for them 5 years earlier i am sure many the owners in carrick on shannon be happy if that happened !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

danbohan wrote: »
    no , they are been refurbished , insurance pays out first time flooding i suppose ,next time they flood they probably be knocked , 3 similar blocks in enniskillen had to be demolished owners were paid what they paid for them 5 years earlier i am sure many the owners in carrick on shannon be happy if that happened !

It's a total disgrace that they were built there in the first place. That entire site wsas totally unsuitable for any development of any kind. Leitrim has been damaged by countless inappropriate housing developments and unfinished ghost estates.

How could anyone think that a county which has the population of an average Dublin suburb could absorb all that housebuiding? Roscommon is just as bad!

danbohan wrote: »

Thanks for that. I had thought of buying one of them a few years ago as I travel up there a lot.

• Advertisement

They are built in Roscommon. Planning was given by Roscommon CoCo. There were more unsustainable developments built in leitrim. Look at Lis Cara on the Leitrim road in Carrick on Shannon. The current best description for this development is a tenament. It was just apartment after apartment piled into the site. Its an unsocial and dangerous place. While it was fully finished, there was no thought given to shops, schools, etc.

The shannon flooded last year and it was a 200 year high. Bad planning didn't account for this - nor did they imagine that the 200 year high was coming so soon. There are a lot of other variables that control the height of the shannon. Did you ever wonder why the shannon never floods in its flood plaines (From Portumna to Limerick). The shannon was never meant to flood in its upper parts around carrick on shannon at all. Before any people ever lived in ireland, the shannon flooded in its flood plains every year. Then, smart people came along and built dams and put control gates onto it so that they can save the towns in the lower shannon region and flood the smaller towns and villages in the upper level. While bad planning is a disgrace, the fact that our flooding can be controlled by allowing the shannon's flood plains is the biggest crisis facing those of us that live on the banks of the shannon.
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    It's a total disgrace that they were built there in the first place. That entire site wsas totally unsuitable for any development of any kind. Leitrim has been damaged by countless inappropriate housing developments and unfinished ghost estates.

How could anyone think that a county which has the population of an average Dublin suburb could absorb all that housebuiding? Roscommon is just as bad!

They are built in Roscommon. Planning was given by Roscommon CoCo. There were more unsustainable developments built in leitrim. Look at Lis Cara on the Leitrim road in Carrick on Shannon. The current best description for this development is a tenament. It was just apartment after apartment piled into the site. Its an unsocial and dangerous place. While it was fully finished, there was no thought given to shops, schools, etc.

The shannon flooded last year and it was a 200 year high. Bad planning didn't account for this - nor did they imagine that the 200 year high was coming so soon. There are a lot of other variables that control the height of the shannon. Did you ever wonder why the shannon never floods in its flood plaines (From Portumna to Limerick). The shannon was never meant to flood in its upper parts around carrick on shannon at all. Before any people ever lived in ireland, the shannon flooded in its flood plains every year. Then, smart people came along and built dams and put control gates onto it so that they can save the towns in the lower shannon region and flood the smaller towns and villages in the upper level. While bad planning is a disgrace, the fact that our flooding can be controlled by allowing the shannon's flood plains is the biggest crisis facing those of us that live on the banks of the shannon.

It's not that they built on a river bank and freakish weather caused the river to burst it's banks for the first time in living memory though. It was a marsh. It was wet, it flooded fairly often although not in the manner of last year and I'm sure that the work downriver assisted that, but it was always a risk due to the nature of the land in question.
    The Shannon south of Lough Allen is already slow and meandering and flooding is more than possible and the reeded areas north and south of Carrick indicate how little these areas are above the water table. There was plenty of safer land to build on but for whatever reason (see above) it was overlooked for low lying land at risk of flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Iloveturf.com

Does anyone know who was the contractor who built Woodies in Carrick? I'm doing my dissertation on planning on flood plains and I've decided to do a case study on Carrick-on-Shannon, the stilts design is of great interest to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

John Sisk& Son, Wilton Works,Naas Road

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Tesco were refused PP for a petrol station in Carrick in the basis that the underground storage tanks would potentially be under water in the winter floods.

While the Tesco store is not on a site that floods, virtually everywhere around it is.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Tesco were refused PP for a petrol station in Carrick in the basis that the underground storage tanks would potentially be under water in the winter floods.

Along with objections from every other petrol startin on carrick.

Where they had proposed to build it never floods - not even last year when we had the worst flooding ever. Although 1 or 2 of the other petrol stations around the town did flood at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grey_Goose

n97 mini wrote: »

While the Tesco store is not on a site that floods, virtually everywhere around it is.

I haven't viewed the PP Application here but I would suspect the fact that the proposed site could be on the edge of the flood plain. This application can be viewed on the Leitrim County Council web site. www.leitrimcoco.ie
    The Planning File ref in this case if you are interested is 071000.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Along with objections from every other petrol startin on carrick.
    While it is true that they all objected I don't think it was grounds for refusal (afaik).

Ironically there is a Tesco petrol station near me and it is currently more expensive than the petrol stations in Carrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 turnraintocash

We are currently looking for a house to rent in carrick but there are no good quality houses available, they are all cheap apartments unfortunately.. and who ever came up with the name "Central Park"? ... s.a.d

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Roaming

is lake view a good place to buy a house or is it possible there would be flooding there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grey_Goose

Roaming wrote: »
    is lake view a good place to buy a house or is it possible there would be flooding there?

Hello Roaming

I will be in the Keshcarrigan area this week, will have a look and give my opinion later. Do you have any more specific detail. Is lake view the name of the housing estate?

Thanks for that. I am not actually sure if Lake view is name of estate but probably is. Where is the nicest place to live in Leitrim do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Roaming wrote: »

it has not flooded , yet anyway . where it was built was quite wet marshy and it does look a bit desolute but then so does a lot of the developments in kesh and other places

try looking at places like leitrim village , dromad

You Leitrim people are so helpful and friendly . After reading the boards yesterday I just want to live there. Thank you for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 smythdricks

Anyone know the name of the apartments that were affected by the flooding the back faces onto the river, i was there once but cant remember the name, the pub and petrol station is across the road, i would really appreciate it is someone could help me out, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Anyone know the name of the apartments that were affected by the flooding the back faces onto the river, i was there once but cant remember the name, the pub and petrol station is across the road, i would really appreciate it is someone could help me out, Thanks

Inver Gael ;)

Thank you
    :)

Dont suppose anyone would know where or how i could rent to stay on a boat in carrick?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Dont suppose anyone would know where or how i could rent to stay on a boat in carrick?

I assume you have a boat and looking for a permanent secure mooring where you can live aboard.

Butler's marina behind Tesco has moorings available for rent, water and electricity at every berth, but you might find the electricity a bit on the expensive side as they add a markup to cover the cost involved in providing it.

I know that there is at least one liveaboard in the marina.

Inver Gael is another possibility, some of the berths may be up for letting.

Emerald star and Carrick Craft also have some of their berths let out to private boaters.

Be sure and check electricity prices, before you decide.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much, its just a bunch of girls for two nights looking for a good time, be sure to keep all in mind, thanks :)

Advertisement