Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I leave my dog out

Options
  • 25-10-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Hi,

I've a 6 month old lab pup, he has been sleeping outside in his kennell for the past few months (wooden kennell with fleese blanket). but with tempatures dropping lately I was feeling guilty and worried about leaving him out in the cold. So the question is should I be leaving him out in the cold and when is it too cold.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

In my opinion I would bring him in I was letting my pup outside this morning and one of his water bowls was frozen :eek: I always bring him in at night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

ABEasy wrote: »
    Hi,

I've a 6 month old lab pup, he has been sleeping outside in his kennell for the past few months (wooden kennell with fleese blanket). but with tempatures dropping lately I was feeling guilty and worried about leaving him out in the cold. So the question is should I be leaving him out in the cold and when is it too cold.

Thanks

Imo no its too cold.

Whats stopping you from having the pup inside?

We keep our pup in a crate in our downstairs bathroom. Never had any problems related to her being in there and I always know shes comfortable and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

This exact topic was covered in another tread last week

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Imo no its too cold.

Whats stopping you from having the pup inside?

We keep our pup in a crate in our downstairs bathroom. Never had any problems related to her being in there and I always know shes comfortable and safe.

I'm afraid he'll eat our furniture and make a huge mess every night. I was intending to bring him in when it gets really cold (like last years cold snap) but would prefer to keep him as an outdoor dog while its not freezing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

This exact topic was covered in another tread last week

Thanks Liquor, checked a few pages of treads and couldn't find it, you don't remember the name of the thread by any chance. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

get a crate! way too cold for a puppy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I'm afraid he'll eat our furniture and make a huge mess every night. I was intending to bring him in when it gets really cold (like last years cold snap) but would prefer to keep him as an outdoor dog while its not freezing out.

He needs to be in not just because of the cold but so that you can train him. My pup sleeps in my hall & it has less temptation. Leaving him outside on his own will more that likely make the chewing worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i have my 7month old red setter sleeping out side in a house, and she has no bother, built a block kennel for her and made a timber box inside in it, she has no bother going in at night, and i have no bother in training her

as ye can see she is happy out

2mwbf2u.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why can't you crate train him if you're worried about the 'mess'?

I have a year-old Shih Tzu who's trained to go into his crate at night. No trouble at all. I lined one side with newspaper so he could go on that if he was caught short. The other had his vet bed to sleep on. He soon got the hang of it, and Shih Tzu are supposed to be hard to potty train!

Put the puppy outside to do his business before he goes to bed. With mine, I simply tell him to 'do his wees' and off he goes! I tell him to 'go beddy byes' and he goes into his bed. If he's very tired and wants to go off early, he'll go in by himself.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

He wont make a mess or eat any furniture with a crate. Honestly its a great investment.

• Advertisement

A thought entered my head during last Winter's cold. We assume that a dog is warm in it's kennel/shed but how do we know ?. Yes we can go out at 4am & check it's ears but how do we know if the dog feels cold. It's easy with my Greyhound as she shivers at anything below about 14c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Why do people feel that they have to leave a dog outside just because they've read that it suits that breed? I'm not humanising the dog but if its better for the dog and better for the owner why not leave the dog inside? I know it can take a bit of training but I'd much prefer to have my dog (he is mans best friend!) in the house. Would you ask your best mate to sleep out in the garden?

The whole in/out argument has occupied many threads here. I personally believe that I would miss out on so much if my dogs were outside & the pup curled up on my lap agrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I have a german shepard and she is inside, I feel really safe knowing she is downstairs at the patio door. she did chew the furniture but she is a 1yr old now and has stopped. she is so cute we dont care :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

leave a bone for him to chew and some toys, I have read the only chew things when the are lonely and bored. I always leave a big bone inside for my dog when im gone. If you have a utility put him in there and close the door.

we have 3 dogs at home, an airedale (my mothers) sleeps in the kitchen. a rescue jack russel that sleeps in the shed ( loves it in there) and my red setter who sleeps in a kennel and has her own run, its what suits our house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

He wont make a mess or eat any furniture with a crate. Honestly its a great investment.

Argos do some very good ones with trays you can take out and wash. That's where we got ours. I've attached a link for you.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500002451&langId=-1&searchTerms=dog+crates

Our dogs are part of or should be part of our families so why leave them out :(I could not get into my warm bed at night knowing my dog is outside in the cold,frost,snow,rain,storms etc.

boxerly wrote: »
    Our dogs are part of or should be part of our families so why leave them out :(I could not get into my warm bed at night knowing my dog is outside in the cold,frost,snow,rain,storms etc.

what difference does it make where the dog sleeps, we wouldn't keep dogs if we didnt care about them, i dont think it makes a difference keeping a dog outside once they are in a well built kennel, its not like the dogs are lying out in the rain, any caring owner will provide a warm kennel

jap gt wrote: »
    what difference does it make where the dog sleeps, we wouldn't keep dogs if we didnt care about them, i dont think it makes a difference keeping a dog outside once they are in a well built kennel, its not like the dogs are lying out in the rain, any caring owner will provide a warm kennel

I foster dogs and have had so many dogs who were got as cute pups slept outside blah blah blah,Spent a little more time out each day to eventually being left out and forgotten about.I just cant see why your dog HAS to sleep out?I really cant :)My dogs are part of my family and are all house dogs.theyve all done their fair share of wrecking things but hey so have my kids.If your dog could talk and you asked them would they prefer to be in or out the back what do ye reckon the answer would be?Im not havin a go like I said Ive seen so many poor dogs sleeping out to eventually staying out and then ending up on the street,in the pounds or dead:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 nikobyrne

so im guessing it would be wrong for me to put my husky out :confused:

He has a lab puppy,short hair:)My post is my opinion,I wouldnt have a dog who I couldnt have in the house.Ive minded a few huskies and they are not for me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Dog kennels are not warm, they are not insulated so they dont have any way of keeping the heat in, only really stops them from getting wet if its raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 nikobyrne

huskys are not for you? em ok i have a king charles too and i think they are both brill, huskys are very intelligent, i know they are hard to train because they are so stubborn but its worth it in the end as they are so loyal and great fun

boxerly wrote: »
    I foster dogs and have had so many dogs who were got as cute pups slept outside blah blah blah,Spent a little more time out each day to eventually being left out and forgotten about.I just cant see why your dog HAS to sleep out?I really cant :)My dogs are part of my family and are all house dogs.theyve all done their fair share of wrecking things but hey so have my kids.If your dog could talk and you asked them would they prefer to be in or out the back what do ye reckon the answer would be?Im not havin a go like I said Ive seen so many poor dogs sleeping out to eventually staying out and then ending up on the street,in the pounds or dead:(

well the airedale is my mothers dog so its up to her what she wants to do, the jacker was given to use with two broken legs so we kept her in a shed in a crate, she was only menat to be with us a few weeks, that was 3 years ago. and my setter is a gun dog and believe me is far from being forgotten about, she loves going into her kennel every evening and i dont have to worry about here dirtying the house after her walks through the fields, im not having ago either, but keeping a dog inside doesnt suit everyone

andreac wrote: »
    Dog kennels are not warm, they are not insulated so they dont have any way of keeping the heat in, only really stops them from getting wet if its raining.

the timber ones arent a bit warm, il be first to admit a dog would hate sleeping in one, a concrete lined with inch ply is very warm

nikobyrne wrote: »
    huskys are not for you? em ok i have a king charles too and i think they are both brill, huskys are very intelligent, i know they are hard to train because they are so stubborn but its worth it in the end as they are so loyal and great fun

Why are ye taking that personal?alot of people dont like boxers or like them but wouldnt have one.I NEVER said there was anything wrong with them like ye said they are beautiful and VERY VERY smart,just not for me:).This thread is not about breeds:)Everyone has their favourites:)

jap gt wrote: »
    well the airedale is my mothers dog so its up to her what she wants to do, the jacker was given to use with two broken legs so we kept her in a shed in a crate, she was only menat to be with us a few weeks, that was 3 years ago. and my setter is a gun dog and believe me is far from being forgotten about, she loves going into her kennel every evening and i dont have to worry about here dirtying the house after her walks through the fields, im not having ago either, but keeping a dog inside doesnt suit everyone

ye should see my kitchen after 2 mucky boxers and a bichon:)My poor mop never gets a break haha

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

put a heat lamp in shed, dogs should never sleep inside

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

So how do you insulate a wooden kennel if you already have one?

Advertisement