Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pokémon BW Players Thread SPOILERS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Dare I ask... what is GTS negotiation?

HAven't had time to hit the E4 with Christmas car-parks eating all my spare time but I'll close my eyes and give it a bash at lunch...

Winter set in over the weekend though, and I'm pissing away a lot of time trying to catch one of those angry chandeliers. I've accidentally critical-one-shotted two of the buggers already, and they're rarer than girls with covered knees in newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Seriously, they let you just waltz right into the post-game with whatever you had in N's Castle and let you just get demolished by 50+ wilds and Trainers with 65's?!?!
    I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that before.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that before.....

Yea, but the main issue is the lack of linearity with the difficulty level in that sense. It goes straight from the max Lv54 with Geechisu with nothing interim and just plonks you straight into National Dex 65's. At least the northern island in D/P/Pt was somewhat linear in level scaling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

If you're reading this, you'll end up single

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

For people that have played the game (waiting for the EU release in 2011 or 2030 or whatever, le sigh) I have a question:

What pokemon did you unexpectedly grow to love (or hate) through gameplay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Banjo wrote: »
    Dare I ask... what is GTS negotiation?

It's like a live trade with someone. You offer up 3 Pokémon to trade and they offer up 3. If both people are happy you pick one of theirs and they pick one of yours and so you trade :) There's no proper communication between players though, you can only use a smiley face, a sad face, a love heart and an exclamation mark to show your approval or disapproval of the other persons offerings. Definitely give it a try :) I've gotten a lot of previous gen Pokémon from it as I don't have Japanese games to trade over my ones to White.
    Yea, but the main issue is the lack of linearity with the difficulty level in that sense. It goes straight from the max Lv54 with Geechisu with nothing interim and just plonks you straight into National Dex 65's. At least the northern island in D/P/Pt was somewhat linear in level scaling.

Although the 'mon are much higher levels they don't seem to have great moves or stats as is the same with the trainers 'mon.
    The only trainer that should pose a bit of difficulty after the E4 is Cynthia
    Phantasos wrote: »
    For people that have played the game (waiting for the EU release in 2011 or 2030 or whatever, le sigh) I have a question:

Emm, I've not really gotten attached to anything this year. I found the crocodile to be a really great addition to my team and he really pulled his weight. Same with red-headed dragon and the doggie. Sorry I never bothered to learn the new names :o

Phantasos wrote: »

My favourite 5th Gen Pokemon became the gangsters:
    viewtopic.php?t%3D57289%26start%3D1625%26sid%3D6608a5947bf193a30e98d2e1c1011e55&t=1&usg=AFrqEzeEkuykVOISD2R9Mzl2OrlPBMcskg
    I've even got one trained up for VGC2011

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

i will bw waiting till it comes out in Europe but i have a question of the new pokemon is there any resemblance to real animals?
    why because its the one that i loved from the start are the ones that resemble real animals except ratata and zubat

seanand wrote: »
    i will bw waiting till it comes out in Europe but i have a question of the new pokemon is there any resemblance to real animals?
    why because its the one that i loved from the start are the ones that resemble real animals except ratata and zubat
    Should answer that question:
    &t=1&usg=AFrqEzeBf2E-5uy2NEAkur76pMe9jbIpsg

• Advertisement

ya but theres too many bird types like that ie pidgie hoothoot starie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Well there is a puppy looking one, mole, a kinda pissed off looking bass, there is a fair few that look like real animals.

good thanks

I found myself inexplicably unimpressed by the lightning-zebra who was my favourite leaked 'mon. I didn't manage to train one beyond a couple of levels before I just got sick of the effort.

On the other hand the ground/dark crocodile became a team stalwart without me really noticing. The final evo looks a bit ****e but I love him to bits. The Dark/fighting flasher-mon are pretty cool too, as is the red-headed dragon (which, due to lighting conditions and a lack of japanese I could have sworn was a ghost for the first 2 days I owned one) and if you evolve your snot-bear they're surprisingly effective maulers. The biggest surprise had to be the grass/bug leaf-a-piller, it's a slow burner as far as bug pokemon, takes a while to get the 3rd evo but it's worth the wait. Well *I* liked it anyway. Shame there aren't half as many wild water- and grass-based 'mon in this as in Gen IV really. After dustox and beautifly etc it was a nice change.

Banjo wrote: »
    The biggest surprise had to be the grass/bug leaf-a-piller, it's a slow burner as far as bug pokemon, takes a while to get the 3rd evo but it's worth the wait. Well *I* liked it anyway. Shame there aren't half as many wild water- and grass-based 'mon in this as in Gen IV really. After dustox and beautifly etc it was a nice change.

Hahakomori is decent?! Than again I suppose STAB Leaf Blade and X-Scissor at Level 39 with a base 103 Attack is nothing to be sniffed at, but still 6 weakeness, two of them double. Although on the flipside, 5 resistances, two of them double as well.

A question I've always wondered: Who has the longest cry? With the cry function in the BW Pokédex now showing time, who officially has the longest cry.

Some of the longer ones I've found in the Isshu Dex:
    Zekrom: 2.13s; Gigigiaru: 2.06s; Daikenki: 2.10s

• Advertisement

Hmmm, stats-wise, I'm really looking towards Gigigiaru for a good Pokémon to use given it's BST of 520. It's just a damn shame it's movepool is so shallow it's almost useless.
    • Nothing but Normal, Electric or Steel damaging moves (or Rock Smash)
    • No Physical Electric at all
    • Only Gear Change for physical Steel
    • 100 Phys.Atk. as opposed to 70 Sp.Atk., making the near entirety of it's movepool weak.

Lock-On/Zap Cannon is alright, but not for Level 66.

Has anyone here used one? How does it properly hold up given all these weaknesses?

Oh hey! I managed to find the password for the Tabunne C-Gear stuffs, it's ポケモンセンター (Pokémon Center). It unlocks a new C-Gear skin and starter Toys for your Dream World pad. It times out on the 11th Jan, so get your skates on!

In hindsight I should probably post this in the Dream World thread, but since our Dream Worlders are also players....eh meh?

Utterly shíte English translations inbound between now and March 6th!
    The official website for Pokémon Black and White has updated, revealing a boatload of names. The English name for Chillarmy will be Minccino, Gigaiath will be Gigalith, Hihidaruma will be Darmanitan, Meguroco will be Sandile, Mamepato will be Pidove, Shimama will be Blitzle, and Giaru will be Klink. Munna will stay as Munna, Professor Araragi will be known as Professor Juniper, and Hiun City will be Castelia City.

Also, Pigeon Breast is now Big Pecks (cue awful puns and misinterpretations), while Overconfident is Moxie.

EDIT @ 18:35 Brute Force is now Sheer Force.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I don't mind Gigalith, Sandile is kinda obvious I guess. Others are pretty meh to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭SamIAmNot

Is March 6th when its out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Balasubbie

I know by this time next year, alot of these names will have grown on me to the point of second nature reference, but I still can't help browse them and think of how much they read like a cast list of aliens from a 1970's Dr.Who serial. A bad one too, where aliens in shiny suits replaced plots with interesting bits.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I seen that somewhere but couldn't get anything official.

Up yours US! :D

(I mean no disrepect to Americans :o)

YES! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Yay! Only 8 more weeks of having to avoid spoilers before I get to play it properly. I'm so excited :D

Yeah, it can be hard to avoid all of those spoilers :( I'm not too familiar with the story thankfully :D

elekid wrote: »
    Yay! Only 8 more weeks of having to avoid spoilers before I get to play it properly. I'm so excited :D
    Denny M wrote: »
    Yeah, it can be hard to avoid all of those spoilers :( I'm not too familiar with the story thankfully :D

Say you two posting in the thread with big SPOILER! warnings all over the place :P

Say you two posting in the thread with big SPOILER! warnings all over the place :P

I skim so I don't ruin the entire story :P I don't know the typing of all the gyms, or the elite four for example. Besides, the release date is a very worthwhile spoiler :D

Ah ok well you'll still be nicely surprised come release day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I basically skipped to the end of the thread because I'd heard the news and figured that's what the last few posts would be about. I still don't know anything about the story, gyms or even most of the new Pokémon which is great. Plenty of "wtf is that thing!?" moments in store for me come March 4th :pac:

• Advertisement

Well I wouldn't want you to have too many surprises to deal with so to sum it up in a nutshell: in the end everyone dies, it turns out that Darkrai is your father and that Pikachu that followed you everywhere since Red is revealed to be Keyser Soze.

More shíte localization inbound D:

http://ie.ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143911p1.html

Possible full English names ahoy!

Think on my last count there is only 43 days left till the games come out! Feel free to corect me if i'm wrong :D

I'm going to annoy the Oxford Street Game in London for a midnight launch party. Is there going to be an Official Boards.ies Launch party in Dubland?

Well I wouldn't mind doing something on the day of the launch as long as i'm not otherwise busy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Possible full English names ahoy!

Emboar ftw!

Some more newly confirmed changes.
    Pokémon
    Deerling (was Shikijika)
    Basculin (was Basslao)
    Watchog (was Miruhog)
    Moves
    Acrobatics (was Acrobat)
    Hurricane (was Windstorm)
    Abilities
    Healer (was Healing Heart)
    Sap Sipper (was Herbivorous)

All I can say is, WHAT THE HELL WAS WRONG WITH HERBIVOROUS?!?!

All I can say is, WHAT THE HELL WAS WRONG WITH HERBIVOROUS?!?!

Too smart sounding I guess, Nintendo has no faith in us :(

• Advertisement

Nuts. Just found out I missed the last WiFi event on B&W - a mystery egg with one of 3 pokemon with matched nature / maxed IV. Son of a Grumpig!

Also, the current event - gives you one of those punky dark/fight flasher things - ends tomorrow.

Free Zoaroaroaroaroark next week if you still haven't found one....

Anyone traded over this weeks EU shiney legend to see if it activates the B&W event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I've been trying to remain spoilerless for the new games so haven't read this thread, but I can't believe it never occurred to me to ask until now: ARE THEY GOOD!?

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I've been trying to remain spoilerless for the new games so haven't read this thread, but I can't believe it never occurred to me to ask until now: ARE THEY GOOD!?

The games or the 'mons?

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I've been trying to remain spoilerless for the new games so haven't read this thread, but I can't believe it never occurred
    to me to ask until now: ARE THEY GOOD!?

The games: Oh god yes.

The 'mon: I personally amn't attached to any of them but maybe when they come out in English and I get to know their names.

So which is more fun? Triple or rotation battles?

SamIAmNot wrote: »
    So which is more fun? Triple or rotation battles?

I might get excommunicated for saying this but I'm not really a fan of either :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

how come atavan?

( I'm still waiting on the game to try'em but they look like they really give an edge and that you'll have to think of pokemon moves and how they'll 'pair up'.....but idk...
    I do think, I'll probably avoid them..as one of my favourite things about pkmn is not having to think & concentrate all that much >.< )

Personally I found rotation battles a little too chaotic. You can't plan since you don't know who you're going to be hitting with your moves. There's more luck than strategy involved since you're guessing what your opponent might do, whether they're going to anticipate that move and counter or anticipate that you anticipated that they'd do that, then you have to counter their false counter or brazen it out or... or just play one on one like God and Arceus always intended.

I have a question, when can you send over pokemon from the other games? Is it after main story or after you beat the league?

how come atavan?

Personally I didn't think they added muchh to the gameplay and they can get confusing. But that's just me! Wait and try them out come March :D
    SamIAmNot wrote: »
    I have a question, when can you send over pokemon from the other games? Is it after main story or after you beat the league?

After the main story, but to be more specifiic:
    when you're free to roam the other half of the island.

Haven't played White since before christmas. Must play it for a while before the release over here!

Good question. Since beating the league and clearing the story are practically the same thing (hey, it does say "spoilers" in the thread title! But just in case
    it's hard to tell what with it only being in hiragana but I don't think you get entered into the hall of fame until after you beat the big-bad 'cause there's no champion so to speak. I was sleep deprived when I faced off against him though so I may be misremembering
    ) I don't think it'll matter much in practice but I can't remember. Does anyone have japanese 4th gen carts to upload from? I never tried to use the system 'cause it's region locked and I only have EU 4th gen carts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement