Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposal Of Live Rounds.

Options
  • 25-10-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Lads, a mate of mine and myself were clearing out his recently deceased fathers shed when we came across about 10 live .220 swift rounds.
    I know they're swift as I owned one before many moons ago and his dad had upto a couple of years ago a swift also.
    I dont knwo how old these rounds are but the brass shells have green stains in patches on them, so I reckon they're years old.
    What would be the safest and most effective way of getting rid of these rounds ? Do I bring them to a firearms dealer to dispose of them perhaps ?
    Any info much appreciated ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

vixdname wrote: »
    Lads, a mate of mine and myself were clearing out his recently deceased fathers shed when we came across about 10 live .220 swift rounds.
    I know they're swift as I owned one before many moons ago and his dad had upto a couple of years ago a swift also.
    I dont knwo how old these rounds are but the brass shells have green stains in patches on them, so I reckon they're years old.
    What would be the safest and most effective way of getting rid of these rounds ? Do I bring them to a firearms dealer to dispose of them perhaps ?

You could do that or if you are near a Military Barracks I am sure the armourer there would oblige you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

vixdname wrote: »

Easiest way is to give them to a RFD, the Army would make a big song and dance over it.
    RFD's get lots of loose ammo when fella's trade in rifles.
    BTW, just because there is green spots on them does not make it old, if brass gets damp it will go green sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭buckasssailor

Put them in a bucket of oil for a day or 2 and that should de-activate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

You could do that or if you are near a Military Barracks I am sure the armourer there would oblige you

All that there gonna do is pull the heads off them and empty the powder....... you can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Put them in a bucket of oil for a day or 2 and that should de-activate them.

Brake or tranny fluid will do it too,and maybe abit quicker.Or if you have a drill press handy and a small drill bit.Dtill thru the case in the middle of it thru both walls.Safe to do as the metal is brass ,and the drillbit wont generate enough heat to fire the powder.Dunk then in oil water or whatever for 24 hours.Totally dead ammo.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

you could give em to someone who has a 220 swift - who may have a way of disposing of them for you - otherwise give em to an RFD.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

As usual lads ye came up trumps with the answers - much aoppreciated !

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Brake or tranny fluid will do it too,and maybe abit quicker.Or if you have a drill press handy and a small drill bit.Dtill thru the case in the middle of it thru both walls.Safe to do as the metal is brass ,and the drillbit wont generate enough heat to fire the powder.Dunk then in oil water or whatever for 24 hours.Totally dead ammo.

But whats beyond the brass? The brass is there to stop sparks igniting the ammunition (among other issues), but thats a bit moot it you drill through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not really Victor.I'm talking about drilling thru the brass case ,not the primer area.:eek:Brass is a mallable metal[ it expands when the powder is igniting in it to fill into the barrel chamber before pushing the bullet down the barrel] Nor does it resist a tool steel drill bit much to create enough heat to ignite the powder.If you want to be belt and braces sure ,some oil introduced on the drill bit as you are drilling will keep it cool.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭james4510

hi just out of interest whats the best thing to o with spent shotgun cartridges?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

james4510 wrote: »
    hi just out of interest whats the best thing to o with spent shotgun cartridges?????

Open the crimp on top pour out the pellets and powder pour in drop of oil to kill the primer throw in bin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

james4510 wrote: »
    hi just out of interest whats the best thing to do with spent shotgun cartridges?????

Try find a local clay range, gun club or target range. Ask could they take them off your hands. I assume you haven't a skip load?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement