Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog run cable

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Haven't used one myself but I'm sure I read a post here ages ago where somebody was using one and the dog used to get tangled up in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

tk123 wrote: »
    Haven't used one myself but I'm sure I read a post here ages ago where somebody was using one and the dog used to get tangled up in it?

Thanks TK. Thats what I was worried about, need to weigh up that, fencing about a acre or doing a run (on a busy road and don't want him going out on the road).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Is that like a zip line that you hook the dogs onto with a long lead? If so then I have one of my dogs on something like that. She can escape over any height wall so this way she can still enjoy the garden. I have cable strung the lenght of the garage up about 7 feet and my dog is on a 15ft long lead that moves up and down the cable. She can basically go 45 feet long and up to 15ft wide because of the lenght of the garage and lead. I do have to make sure there's nothing in the way that she can catch the lead on but it's been a life saver for me. I would suggest putting it up height to prevent it catching on everything, and not between 2 poles because the dog will only do a maypole job on it and be stuck. We tried every different combination and we've found the garage job works the best.

like this...
    19237_279946453106_560703106_3584523_2906182_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

The picture is tiny so it's hard to get an idea of what it is. Is it supposed to be attached to a point, a line of the ground or a line up high between 2 points? If it were attached to a single point or a cable on the ground as with any method of tieing a dog it will probably become tangled at some point, but if you were to attach it to a cable up high (maybe between two buildings) it would give the dog more room to move around and it wouldn't become tangled as easily. Im not great at explaining things but this might explain better: http://www.petklace.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/xl_dog_trolly_02.jpg

Obviously the best and safest option would be to fence the area in though, tieing a dog up outside still means that other people and dogs still have access to him, he could chew through the cable if determined enough or could pull the point where the cable's tied off the wall/ground. Wherever you place it also be careful that there is nothing that he can hang himself off, my cousin's dog tried to jump a fence while tied and hanged himself.

Edit: You got there first TooManyDogs, great minds think allike and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Why do you need to fence so much land ?. My three dogs have no garden access & they get all the exercise they need from two walks per day. I can go out knowing that they are warm, dry & most of all safe in the house. I can relax knowing that they are not escaping, being injured or stolen. It makes life much easier.

• Advertisement

Zapperzy wrote: »

But your picture is so much better than the crap one I found!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I use a long cable lead for my dog - his last owner couldnt cope as he kept escaping. So far he has ended up in a shelter and a few months ago in the pound. He is fine on the cable once there are no obstacles it can get tangled round and at least he can't come to harm as he can't run off. The cable is attached to the shed at about waist high and he never gets tangled up. They do them in various strengths - I bought 2 off ebay. He has a lot of freedom as it is quite long. But mostly he lives indoors so wouldn't spend a lot of time tied on the cable.:o

Is that like a zip line that you hook the dogs onto with a long lead? If so then I have one of my dogs on something like that. She can escape over any height wall so this way she can still enjoy the garden. I have cable strung the lenght of the garage up about 7 feet and my dog is on a 15ft long lead that moves up and down the cable. She can basically go 45 feet long and up to 15ft wide because of the lenght of the garage and lead. I do have to make sure there's nothing in the way that she can catch the lead on but it's been a life saver for me. I would suggest putting it up height to prevent it catching on everything, and not between 2 poles because the dog will only do a maypole job on it and be stuck. We tried every different combination and we've found the garage job works the best.

like this...
    19237_279946453106_560703106_3584523_2906182_n.jpg

Thats the one, how do you/your dog find it? I was wondering how to put it up without running it between 2 poles (dog would get wrapped up on the poles)

Zapperzy wrote: »
    The picture is tiny so it's hard to get an idea of what it is. Is it supposed to be attached to a point, a line on the ground or a line up high between 2 points? If it were attached to a single point or a cable on the ground as with any method of tieing a dog it will probably become tangled at some point, but if you were to attach it to a cable up high (maybe between two buildings) it would give the dog more room to move around and it wouldn't become tangled as easily. Im not great at explaining things but this might explain better: http://www.petklace.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/xl_dog_trolly_02.jpg

Obviously the best and safest option would be to fence the area in though, tieing a dog up outside still means that other people and dogs still have access to him, he could chew through the cable if determined enough or could pull the point where the cable's tied off the wall/ground. Wherever you place it also be careful that there is nothing that he can hang himself off, my cousin's dog tried to jump a fence while tied and hanged himself.

Zapper thanks, it never occured to me to run a line on the ground rather than up high. Fencing would be a fairly big job and I reckon he'd find a way out anyway if he tried. Think the cable is plastic coated wire so shouldn't bite through it.

I really wouldn't advise tying a cable between 2 poles, your dog will just get wrapped around the pole and then be stuck for the day. I've tried every combination of poles and it's always ended in disaster. If you have a washing line between 2 walls then that'd be ideal. I have a plastic coated wire cable so it's really strong. I have a 15ft line with a swivel hook on the clip for my dog so she can't get it twisted around, it's also plastic coated wire so she can't chew through it, she's a real escape artist. She knows to the cm where she can go so never hurts herself, can't get anywhere near any walls for risk of hanging. My dogs love to sunbathe and I'd hate to coop her up in the house in the good weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Also worth mentioning it's best to attach the cable to a harness rather than a collar. If it's a long cable and he decides to run the full length of it at full pelt it's not good for their necks to come to a sudden halt at the end. That it provided the dog doesn't chew the harness off and it fits correctly.

Forgot to mention have you thought about building a dog enclosure? You can buy them off this crowd http://cilldara.ie/ or you can build your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Wouldn't use one, a dog run would be safer if the area is too large and expensive to fully fence in cilldara or hayses modular have secure dog runs and you can extend then over time very easily and they are instant all you need is a level bit of ground.

Advertisement