Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Modding Thoughts...

• 25-10-2010 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

So, here's my current random modding thought - "F*ck you CK3, you just blew the arse out of a brand new Jasper's DVD drive".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So, here's my current random modding thought - "F*ck you CK3, you just blew the arse out of a brand new Jasper's DVD drive".

On no! :( Is that one Jasper down from your list? Remember I asked first :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yup, one Jasper down. It's all right, I've still got your one and witnessmenow's one in their boxes - I won't be flashing those because you guys can do it yourselves.

I don't understand what happened, I'm fairly certain the CK3 is faulty. I didn't plug the power cable in upside down, because I did that once and know the smell and what gets burned on the DVD drive. Besides, the power cable is green on one side, red on the other and has a circuit protection to stop that sort of thing. The DVD PCB is fine. There is nothing wrong that I can see with the CK3 either, no smell/burned parts or anything. My probe v2 is also messed up because the LEDs to indicate MRA or Probe v1 mode aren't working when they were before. Popped the DVD drive back into the console, and it's dead.

It's a total FAIL and I'm not a happy camper :mad:

Time to RMA it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Sure could be worse, you can get the DVD key off the jtag!

Thats a good point TV, so worst case is just a new drive right? Or are you battling your ethics there whether to exchange it as faulty? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I don't read fw of Jtagged xbox's anymore, just pop in the DVD key to JF and thats it. No probes, half way open trays, unlock cd and all that sh*te.

BTW I personnaly think Xecuter as company is a joke. They made fantastic things for original Xbox, but man, what they do now. Only good thing is the Nand-X.

• Advertisement

docentore wrote: »
    I don't read fw of Jtagged xbox's anymore, just pop in the DVD key to JF and thats it. No probes, half way open trays, unlock cd and all that sh*te.

BTW I personnaly think Xecuter as company is a joke. They made fantastic things for original Xbox, but man, what they do now. Only good thing is the Nand-X.

I've actually always wondered if the dvd drive firmware was of any relevance at all on a jtagged console...from your post it would seem to matter? I thought the patched Kernel wouldn't be fussy about what info the drive sent back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

EnterNow wrote: »
    I've actually always wondered if the dvd drive firmware was of any relevance at all on a jtagged console...from your post it would seem to matter? I thought the patched Kernel wouldn't be fussy about what info the drive sent back...

but it is to dvd drive to differentiate between original disc and the b... one.

Yup, it's the DVD drive that passes information on legitimate or backup to the NXE dashboard. So without the DVD drive being flashed you can't play those backups. You can use the other tools to acheive what you want but I've a back collection here that'd be a pain without a DVD drive being able to read 'em.

@witnessmenow: I know dude, I am thankful for that. But still, extremely unhappy. I only got the hardware for doing liteOn drives so I thought what better one to practise even more probing on, I mean so what if I get the wrong key, I know the right one anyways so I can perfect my method. I sure as hell didn't think I'd have to be shelling out for a new DVD drive because of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You can have the drive out of mine if you want it! I'll prob never use it anyways!

Thanks, but there's hope for your Jasper yet :D *crosses fingers, prays to the voltage gods there was no real damage done* :P

• Advertisement

"This thread is thread of the day" ... Random modding thoughts ftw!

"This thread is thread of the day" ... Random modding thoughts ftw!

I was about to create a 'General Modding Discussion' thread before this popped up, I intent to keep it rolling with general queries/conversation/off topic-ness :) Good one dude!

Yeah, I never wanted it to be a TV-centric thread. Anything and everything, just post away :D

When you blacken any PCB, stop soldering. It isn't working, and you're damaging the PCB. Lower your temp, let it cool down for a while, come back with a fresh head or let somebody with more experience handle it.

If this Xenon powers on again I'll be surprised :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Seems like the spot to put it..

Would a Jtag-able 360, with all the wiring in place, and backups of the Nand + CPU key, that has not got XBR/Freeboot installed be allowed on Adverts or other sites like Fleabay where restrictions are tight.. It can be compared to 3.41 PS3's which are fine without a JB device on the same places.

It's then upto buyer to go about removing the "security" ridden stock kernel and so forth..

Oppinions?

It's one for the Adverts.ie Helpdesk if you ask me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Quite true, just have to figure out how to word it or just pop one up as a tester.. Bills to pay and all that, was fun having a few in like every room!

Bad Blocks might not be bad blocks, they could be indicators that Microsoft's flash failed.

I just encounted a Jasper with a bad block at 0x01D that was re-mapped to 0x3FF as expected in the 16MB dump. However when flashing Xellous I didn't get a failure to write block 0x01D and the remap procedure (extracting 0x01D, flashing it to 0x3FF, erasing 0x01D) resulted in the CPU not being initialised which manifested itself as a cold CPU with no audio/video output. Flashing 0x01D back to 0x01D fixed the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

TV how are you getting on with your jasper?

I've not touched my own one, been busy with other Jaspers. Bsides, I need a new DVD drive for my one (see first post :p)

• Advertisement

CK3.co.uk - their lack of communication on my RMA is worrying. They better not try do a runner with my €50 :mad:

Sorted :)

I have discovered my crappy digital camera has a macro mode and it takes very decent pictures of PCBs - win!

CK3 arrived today, excellent :D

Also: SMC_IO is no more, replaced by SMC Utility which is even handier for fixing stuff. I must rebuild freeBOOT now with my modified SMC, I hate that the console endlessly reboots if I have a play & charge kit plugged in :(

Just went and spray painted my jtagged jasper, I had to settle for metallic gray as they didn't have any reflective chrome, will post pics once the mod is complete...

Not so much a modding thought, but something to throw up nonetheless. Amiga 1200 capacitor replacement, it fixed colour/hue & sound issues. Another one of o1s1n's retro collectables, kinda nervous one to work on due to them being expensive & harder to come by these days. It's not a mod as such, more of a repair, so I posted it in the A&R forums repair sticky - Link

As in my previous thread here is my Random Mod a Jasper JTAG with metallic gray finish. Thats a 500GB Maxtor external sitting on top, it also has a 2.5" 500GB HD in the HD enclosure, this is my first attempt at a cosmetic mod, not bad in my opinion

Xbox_2.JPG
    Xbox_1.JPGXbox_2.jpg

Looks really good ryan, fair dues man. Have you covered it with a clear lacquer to protect it, and stop it rubbing off over time etc? Great colour choice :cool:

Would love to know how you managed the power button's painting without ruining the power sign

Cheers man, I am going to finish it off with a layer of lacquer the ROL was particularly tricky as I only had masking tape to cover the LEDs, in hindsight I probably should have just left it white as the edges are a bit rough from lifting the tape, the HD enclosure was handy I just masked the silver bezel and around the edges.

• Advertisement

Would love to know how you managed the power button's painting without ruining the power sign

An old model builders trick, finite masking work & a pick/needle maybe?...come on Ryan, spill the beans here :D And go the whole hog and set those green green led's to permanent red :cool:

Advertisement