Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Modding Thoughts...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Behold doubters :D

28gxtab.jpg

And to prove it's my jtag, FSD running & nothing else powered on

34qteko.jpg

I've kept the case completely stock, so that means no cutting holes to route the drive cables through. No big deal, I havn't needed the disc drive since jtagging it in the first place anyway.

Also, seeing as it has an internal hdd, I had to cover the connector pins where the standard hdd normally connects on. I this this with a thin strip of insulating tape, because otherwise it wouldn't boot with two hdd's running off the internal sata header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

EnterNow wrote: »

28gxtab.jpg

34qteko.jpg

I've kept the case completely stock, so that means no cutting holes to route the drive cables through. No big deal, I havn't needed the disc drive since jtagging it in the first place anyway.

Also, seeing as it has an internal hdd, I had to cover the connector pins where the standard hdd normally connects on. I this this with a thin strip of insulating tape, because otherwise it wouldn't boot with two hdd's running off the internal sata header.

Nice,

You know what would really make that look even better would be to change the ring of light LED's to orange

Ah I'm happy enough with it as is Jimbob :)

I gave the innards a good clean out while I had the shell off. Running the fans high, tends to make them powerful & they draw a lot of dust in. The additional small fans I have inside were also pretty dusty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I've this. What concerns me is it this, the clone has better soldering, original has all the connector crooked etc.

EDIT: just noticed some knock-offs on Dealextreme

• Advertisement

docentore wrote: »
    I've this. What concerns me is it this, the clone has better soldering, original has all the connector crooked etc.

EDIT: just noticed some knock-offs on Dealextreme

I was thinking the same based on the pics :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

im all 4 the clone,s if they work and are cheaper i see some unlocked pcb clone,s are knocking around too

massy086 wrote: »
    im all 4 the clone,s if they work and are cheaper i see some unlocked pcb clone,s are knocking around too

Thing about clones is you've no warranty and build quality can be questionable.
    The clones are being sold for the same price as the official coolrunners.
    may as well buy the genuine product at least you know its going to work as advertised and remain working, clones can just die for no reason as there made from the cheapest possible components.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Thing about clones is you've no warranty and build quality can be questionable.
    The clones are being sold for the same price as the official coolrunners.
    may as well buy the genuine product at least you know its going to work as advertised and remain working, clones can just die for no reason as there made from the cheapest possible components.

I would argue with one or two points there:
    1. build quality - cover the sign on the picture above and tell me which has better build quality.
    2. price - go onto dealextreme.com and compare prices of the genuine and "designer" (clone) one.
    3. original can die without reason as well.

I agree that you won't get any warranty or support, but that's the price of getting knock-offs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Do the clones have the holographic TX sticker included in the box? Might be a solid way to spot a fake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i agree with docentore fully my only one qam is buying the clone,s is taking money from tx and you can be sure the clone company's wont be developing new products on there own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yes i agree that the clone Coolrunner has better soldering connections and components are straight. But the clone PCB's are meant to have alot of faults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

28gxtab.jpg

34qteko.jpg

Nice den you have for yourself. Alot of consoles there. Old and new.

docentore wrote: »
    I would argue with one or two points there:
    1. build quality - cover the sign on the picture above and tell me which has better build quality.
    2. price - go onto dealextreme.com and compare prices of the genuine and "designer" (clone) one.
    3. original can die without reason as well.

I agree that you won't get any warranty or support, but that's the price of getting knock-offs

If they work without problems then there's no problem
    but as always with clones-buyer beware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The original board has "hand-soldered" wrote all over it. It isn't a production board, none of my Coolrunners have looked so shoddy, let the component labels do the talking :)

Been out of the loop for some time with work etc.

Got me a x360usb and decided to give flashing on my mac a go :D

photo31122011002759.jpg

I dont miss having a battered Pentium 4 machine on its side doing the flashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Just installed a Coolrunner rev b on a Slim timings seem much quicker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Hacked the bollocks out of my psp.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Did 4 kamikaze hacks tonight, that beep when it unlocks would scare the ****e out of you thought.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Did 4 kamikaze hacks tonight, that beep when it unlocks would scare the ****e out of you thought.

How are you doing it as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement

cisk wrote: »
    How are you doing it as a matter of interest?

I have a normal scribber with a 1mm carbite top on it and slowly does it.

Thanks, i have a Winbond slim, going to get a scribber and do it.

Did you bother with the 100ohm resistor?

Thanks, i have a Winbond slim, going to get a scribber and do it.

Did you bother with the 100ohm resistor?

No I just use the scribber nothing else, take your time and mark the coordinates correctly and turn slowly stoping every couple of secs, the plastic is very soft, if you reach hard plastic without unlocking, stop straight away anymore and your pcb is useless.

Cheers, all i can say is thank god you dump the firmware before doing this :pac:

Cheers, all i can say is thank god you dump the firmware before doing this :pac:

Just remember to have your volume up full blast to hear it unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Koded_AR_Rose

anyone tryed modding a ps3 phats power button board? .... i beleive it works on detecting local area resistance or capacitance that your finger exerts when pressing ... any ideas on how to do this artificially as i am modding ps3 to fit in pc case? any help greatly appreciated!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

General query, didn't think it was worth it's own thread.

Are there any ps3 slims that come with 3.55 or below out of the box?

I've a 60gb but it's on the latest fw and judging by the noises it's making and the semi frequent complete freezing of the console, I'm guessing it's going to die soon...

General query, didn't think it was worth it's own thread.

Are there any ps3 slims that come with 3.55 or below out of the box?

I've a 60gb but it's on the latest fw and judging by the noises it's making and the semi frequent complete freezing of the console, I'm guessing it's going to die soon...

A retail 3.55 nowadays? No idea, I'd imagine they'd be tricky to find. Maybe stick to the older, smaller shops that don't push a lot of stock. Also afaik there's no way to tell by the box exterior what fw the console is on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Cheers for the answer!

I also presume it would only be the 120/250gb ones also, as opposed to the 160/320gb range?

• Advertisement

Cheers for the answer!

I also presume it would only be the 120/250gb ones also, as opposed to the 160/320gb range?

I honestly couldn't tell you, I've no idea what bundles were out at the time of the 3.55 chageover. Are they hard to come by second hand as a matter of interest [on 3.55]?

Advertisement