Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Modding Thoughts...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

justryan wrote: »
    Cheers man, I am going to finish it off with a layer of lacquer the ROL was particularly tricky as I only had masking tape to cover the LEDs, in hindsight I probably should have just left it white as the edges are a bit rough from lifting the tape, the HD enclosure was handy I just masked the silver bezel and around the edges.

I was thinking it was an intricate masking job ..some patience :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Would love to know how you managed the power button's painting without ruining the power sign

For the power sign, I just cut a circular piece of masking tape and covered it up

Freestyle Dash v2.0 (RC1) is out

ABGX v1.0.5 is out

The X360USB is looking promising, it can dump the key from both types of Slim drives (including 0225).

FSD 2.0 RC1.2 is out

LT+ v1.1 is out

Flashing drives without them being a JTAG is risky business, I get nervous :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I learnt something new today

LO83 method for getting keys only works on drives with stock firmware,

There is a separate button called "Get dummy from Ixtreme" which should work instead (im not sure if it works for all types of drives)

Then I also learnt that LT firmware doesnt support this feature.

Basically if you have a drive with LT firmware on it and you dont know the key, you need to the 8350c v2 method to get the key (probe 2 or lite-on switch)

I did have the drives original dump backed up though so i didnt need to go through that pain.

• Advertisement

I learnt something new today

LO83 method for getting keys only works on drives with stock firmware,

There is a separate button called "Get dummy from Ixtreme" which should work instead (im not sure if it works for all types of drives)

Then I also learnt that LT firmware doesnt support this feature.

Basically if you have a drive with LT firmware on it and you dont know the key, you need to the 8350c v2 method to get the key (probe 2 or lite-on switch)

I did have the drives original dump backed up though so i didnt need to go through that pain.

*adds to notes and complains about what a pain the ass it'd be to have to do one of those LT drives where the key is unknown*

Did you know all the keys jungleflasher dumps are stored in the registry? You can export these and import onto other computers :)

Not only are all the keys stored, but the barcodes too :D

As for exporting them, care to link me? :)

In Windows launch regedit.exe

Browse for HKEY_CURRENT_USER and look for JF_KeyDB, then just highlight it and go File > Export save the .reg file, then on the machine your migrating it to just do File > Import and open the .reg file

That should do it, although I haven't tested it yet :D

Jasper JTAG, RROD 0022 out of the box, noooooooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Jasper JTAG, RROD 0022 out of the box, noooooooo

as famous film character used to say "sh!t happens". I managed to kill 3 of my recent jtagable in first day after modding. I think I have to be more careful.

what happened with yours? don't throw the board. someone might be able to fix it, or just move CPU to another board.

docentore wrote: »
    as famous film character used to say "sh!t happens". I managed to kill 3 of my recent jtagable in first day after modding. I think I have to be more careful.

what happened with yours? don't throw the board. someone might be able to fix it, or just move CPU to another board.

Dunno dude, it's witnessmenow's board too. It looks like somebody already went at it though because one of the nand-reading pin headers had solder blobs on it. And it's RROD 0022 on stock nand with no wires :/

I recently got a pro off someone who made a mess of it, he had the original NAND looking at it in hex editor it looked nothing like a NAND no copyright at the start, no cb at 8400 so I doubt the kv and config were intact what a waste :(

Yeah, this one's all kosher though. Taking a nand dump shows a valid dump in Hex & 360 Flash Tool. Still disappointed though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah, this one's all kosher though. Taking a nand dump shows a valid dump in Hex & 360 Flash Tool. Still disappointed though

What could have happened there tv? Was it one of the extra-vision ones we got? I thought RROD was a thing of the past with Japsers :(

EnterNow wrote: »
    What could have happened there tv? Was it one of the extra-vision ones we got? I thought RROD was a thing of the past with Japsers :(

0022 is a gpu problem (bad connections or decked chip). jtag exploit uses gpu jtag pins. if the wiring is done in incorrect way can cause
    our old good friend RROD.

I used 10ohm resistors once instead of 10k and what did I got? yes 0022.

now, there is a hope. I'm going to get hot air station soon and try to fix mine ones, if successful I can help fellow boardsies ;)

Well it most definitely wasn't the wiring with this one. I only soldered the JTAG wires once and they were still multimetering just fine today and matching up to the soldering diagrams. It was very strange in that when me and wmn opened the console there was soldering marks on the nand reader pin headers and the memory unit connector leg (which can be used for ground connections) had solder on it even though I use the HDD leg myself.

It's almost like somebody went at it, made a balls of it and then put it back together for a return. My only regret is not making sure it powered on before dumping the nand/installing the JTAG, I suspect the answer would be it wouldn't.

docentore, keep us informed about the hot air reflow station - I'm going to consider it in the new year myself. It couldn't hurt to be able to reball 360s with lead or to know somebody who could :D

Yeah if anyone has any donor Jaspers let me know! :) I now have two Jaspers with nand dumps and exploitable CPUs, but dodgy GPUS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Yeh I'm getting a new hot air station and reballing kit, just waiting on shipping. Got a suction tool instead of another soldering iron with it, so should make removing the GPU a little easier.

Was gonna go with IRDA but it's very costly and needs a lot of setting up (profiles etc).

I know all too well about brand new RROD jtaggables, nothing but heart ache, especially when it wasn't something obvious/stupid (or even someone elses fault).

What tells me it's not necessarily the end for it..

http://forums.xbox-experts.com/download/file.php?id=1107&mode=view

Wez wrote: »
    Yeh I'm getting a new hot air station and reballing kit, just waiting on shipping. Got a suction tool instead of another soldering iron with it, so should make removing the GPU a little easier.

Was gonna go with IRDA but it's very costly and needs a lot of setting up (profiles etc).

I know all too well about brand new RROD jtaggables, nothing but heart ache, especially when it wasn't something obvious/stupid (or even someone elses fault).

What tells me it's not necessarily the end for it..

http://forums.xbox-experts.com/download/file.php?id=1107&mode=view

can you post some details on what are you getting like model no, price maybe link? share some experience when you get it

• Advertisement

+1 on the rework/reball train, I will definitely invest in equipment in the new year when this weather passes :D

Gladly!

This is the place I got it from, located in Germany and postage is included. I needed to add another nozzle into the package this one, for the 360 GPU. I'll get one for the PS3 once I've done a few 360's as practise.

I'm also getting the usual bundle for reballing, with Xbox, PS3 and Wii stencils included.

Should be interesting it try it out, can't imagine it's half as easy as video tutorials make it look though!

I should add, I've another few bits and bobs I'm gonna be building / buying seperately, like a pre-heater and jig. I can update with these as I get them if you'd like. Just that I've read, having a preheater that's too small can warp a board while reflowing / reballing so I wanna get a good deal on one plenty big.

If I was gonna go the IRDA route, I imagine the ACHI IR6000 is what I'd go for (once budget permits) since people using it seem to find it great.

Have you ordered a preheater and a rig for holding the nozzle over the motherboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Gladly!

This is the place I got it from, located in Germany and postage is included. I needed to add another nozzle into the package this one, for the 360 GPU. I'll get one for the PS3 once I've done a few 360's as practise.

I'm also getting the usual bundle for reballing, with Xbox, PS3 and Wii stencils included.

Should be interesting it try it out, can't imagine it's half as easy as video tutorials make it look though!

Fantastic stuff Wez, do indeed let us know how you get on. It would be a great asset for us to have someone who can handle this kind of thing, and comforting to know that all is not lost if an RROD is encountered.

Haven't sorted a preheater yet, although I'm gonna explore every option because they seem fairly expensive considering people have had great results with griddles (and they've plenty of surface area too) although I don't want anything hindering the quality of the reflow so I'll double check everything.

Found this handy video, so those thinking of getting a similar machine without a vacuum tool, check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmCVSmbuMrc

Although as someone said, where to ya get the rubber funnel..

Guys, Im just trowing the idea out here, feel free to ignore.

There is at least 2 well known members of the CM community and 1 fairly new member, but seems to be a good guy too, all in dublin all looking for the same equipment. Its something that would probably only get used by each person a couple of times a month (maybe im underestimating this? Correct me if im wrong). I wonder would it be possible to explore the possibilities of forming a type of co-op between ye? Instead of 2-3 of you buying a the cheapest one possible if you pooled a bit of money together you could buy the one that suits best and probably still be saving money. There is a high level of trust required in something like this though.

Also for anyone interested in purchasing one, I'd be interested in sharing some of the initial cost of it, if after a bit of practise on some older boards (:)), you could help me out with my jaspers. I'd possibly even have a couple of boards to be used as cadavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Haven't sorted a preheater yet, although I'm gonna explore every option because they seem fairly expensive considering people have had great results with griddles (and they've plenty of surface area too) although I don't want anything hindering the quality of the reflow so I'll double check everything.

Found this handy video, so those thinking of getting a similar machine without a vacuum tool, check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmCVSmbuMrc

Although as someone said, where to ya get the rubber funnel..

I've gotten into reflowing lately aswell.
    was going to get a preheater even though they are fairly expensive,all they are there for is to heat the bottom of the board so it dosent warp,
    But I found a griddle in the attic no point in spending extra money on something I dont need,modded it so I could mount a 360 board onto it,works an absolute treat :D .
    As long as it can bring the entire board over 115 degrees and the board is well clamped down to the griddle you won't have any problems with flexing.
    make sure the nozzle you use is netted so the air comes out of the reflow station in a more even manner I got my one on ownta.com thier site is down at the moment the nozzle cost me 25 euro I think.
    You would also want to get a set of these aswell http://cgi.ebay.ie/Digital-Thermometer-2-K-Type-Thermocouples-Sensor-/170576005151?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item27b71f481f because the temp displayed on the rework station is the temp of the heating element and not the actual temp of the air coming out of the rework station.
    Last thing is your either going to have to build or buy some kind of stand for the handle of the rework station where the air comes of.
    And you will need a few knackered boards to practice on because you WILL make **** out of a few gpu's establishing a profile

I've gotten into reflowing lately aswell.
    was going to get a preheater even though they are fairly expensive,all they are there for is to heat the bottom of the board so it dosent warp,
    But I found a griddle in the attic no point in spending extra money on something I dont need,modded it so I could mount a 360 board onto it,works an absolute treat :D .
    As long as it can bring the entire board over 115 degrees and the board is well clamped down to the griddle you won't have any problems with flexing.
    make sure the nozzle you use is netted so the air comes out of the reflow station in a more even manner I got my one on ownta.com thier site is down at the moment the nozzle cost me 25 euro I think.
    You would also want to get a set of these aswell http://cgi.ebay.ie/Digital-Thermometer-2-K-Type-Thermocouples-Sensor-/170576005151?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item27b71f481f because the temp displayed on the rework station is the temp of the heating element and not the actual temp of the air coming out of the rework station.
    Last thing is your either going to have to build or buy some kind of stand for the handle of the rework station where the air comes of.
    And you will need a few knackered boards to practice on because you WILL make **** out of a few gpu's establishing a profile

Jimbobjoeyman you got any pics of your current setup?

Guys, Im just trowing the idea out here, feel free to ignore.

There is at least 2 well known members of the CM community and 1 fairly new member, but seems to be a good guy too, all in dublin all looking for the same equipment. Its something that would probably only get used by each person a couple of times a month (maybe im underestimating this? Correct me if im wrong). I wonder would it be possible to explore the possibilities of forming a type of co-op between ye? Instead of 2-3 of you buying a the cheapest one possible if you pooled a bit of money together you could buy the one that suits best and probably still be saving money. There is a high level of trust required in something like this though.

Also for anyone interested in purchasing one, I'd be interested in sharing some of the initial cost of it, if after a bit of practise on some older boards (:)), you could help me out with my jaspers. I'd possibly even have a couple of boards to be used as cadavers.

I'm willing to front some cash for this but the trust thing would be an issue - after all you don't want to pool €200 of your own money and have somebody make off with the kit :P

• Advertisement

I would be willing to donate some motherboards I have got a pile of RROD

Advertisement