Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Modding Thoughts...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I was to get the hot air station in new year and I was talking about it all the time.
    Guess what santi brought me? this..

I know, it is small, hopefully it will do the job, it should. I think my wife googled what hot air station is and she got afraid the size of it and decided to take initiative on this ;)

I didn't have to test it properly yet, but had it connected for few minutes and seems to do the job.

Yeah, i have 3 RRODs that "should" be Jtagable that i couldnt revive with a reflow. Would be willing to donate to the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Ah nice Doc, since you can adjust the airflow too, ya should be grand I'd imagine.

If everyone's splitting, what kinda setup/budget are ye looking at? Just out of curiousity more than anything else.

If anyone knows the bike shop Rothar (.ie), we could start something similar for console repairs! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

justryan wrote: »
    Jimbobjoeyman you got any pics of your current setup?

Ya sure,place is a bit messy thogh :p ,the griddle isn't the most professional looking thing in the world but it certainly does a great job :D
    Photo0235.jpg
    sorry about the massive picture :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Nice setup do you have thermocouples to get readings of temps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Nice one JBJM, looks just how I wanna build mine, good to hear you're happy with the griddle!

I'm looking at one slightly flatter, and I'm gonna have holes for PS3 mount points and 360 ones too, then swap bolts out when doing different batches of console. If the heating element is in the way I might build a jig for holding them over the griddle (and one jig for each then). But I don't want it to disrupt the flow of heat (so it's as even as possible) if I can avoid it.

Might get that thermocouple JBJM linked to earlier aswell to verify the heat, after that point he made about how it's measured on the rework machine (great thinking, never occured to me!).

Wez wrote: »
    Nice one JBJM, looks just how I wanna build mine, good to hear you're happy with the griddle!

I'm looking at one slightly flatter, and I'm gonna have holes for PS3 mount points and 360 ones too, then swap bolts out when doing different batches of console. If the heating element is in the way I might build a jig for holding them over the griddle (and one jig for each then). But I don't want it to disrupt the flow of heat (so it's as even as possible) if I can avoid it.

Might get that thermocouple JBJM linked to earlier aswell to verify the heat, after that point he made about how it's measured on the rework machine (great thinking, never occured to me!).
    this is the griddle I had in mind before I found the other one up in the attic
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4236382/Trail/searchtext%3EGRIDDLE.htm
    It looks to have a nice large surface area,
    An xbox 360 board just fits perfectly into my griddle I doubt a ps3 one would though,there a good bit bigger so I might be getting this if I get into ps3's.

How far should the board be raised from the preheater to avoid frying components?

roughly about 2 cm

whoever has any spare rrod mobos I will be happy to take them for training purposes ;)

• Advertisement

docentore wrote: »
    whoever has any spare rrod mobos I will be happy to take them for training purposes ;)
    Ya if anyone around Limerick has I few I'd be happy to take a few aswell.
    I can reflow but I want to learn to reball aswell and Im out of dead boards to practice chip lifts

random Modding thought:
    happy new year everyone, lot of successful jtag hunts, no cold joints, plenty of successful reflows, no bricked consoles, many found exploits!

Yo Doc, iv got 3 in my shed that should be jtagable, but i couldnt revive. Your welcome to have em.

cisk wrote: »
    Yo Doc, iv got 3 in my shed that should be jtagable, but i couldnt revive. Your welcome to have em.

good man. I'll drop in during the week to pick them up.

good man. I'll drop in during the week to pick them up.

Cools, im in Raheny nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

cisk wrote: »
    Cools, im in Raheny nowadays.

Swish :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Posting here since I don't know if I should make a new thread for this but if I sent someone a ps2 memory card and a S.A.E to send it back would someone be kind enough to install freemcboot on it for me?

Here it is my first attempt at a case mod, not quite finished yet but I will post more pictures as it develops.

I plan to put some acrylic in the window, remove the casing of the DVD drive so the disc can be seen spinning (not forgetting the magnet), adding some blue cold cathode LEDs and mounting a stock fan (cut in half) over the extended GPU cooler for added cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Very nicely cut, great job so far! Would be interested in a few more pictures :)

Will do, just scouring the web to find a cheap fan grill so somebody doesn't cut off their fingers :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

If any of you guys want help with reflowing or reballing I have been doing this for years, I am here to help. The Achi machine mentioned is crap!!!

I started with a Aoyue hot air set up and pre heater, to be honest reballing cost's money and a lot of headache's. I know a guy in Ireland who reballed two 360 gpu's only for them to fail again in a week (he no longer bothers). I have two machines, Achi IR pro sc which I had to modify to work the as temps were way off and not constant. And a Shuttle star 380II which is pretty good.

As for profiles there a must be one, spend good money on Omega thermocouples there fantastic I also have a Fluke 52II and 54II thermometers. The right temp at the right time are key to the whole thing!!

My own little challenge this week will be to reball some 60gb ps3's.

Bottom line is you guys will have to invest a fair few euros, and many many hours of your time. I would be more than willing to reball anything for you guys, I may even be able to source some cheap Jasper gpu's.

Nice to see you sharing some trade secrets what machine do you recommend for a starter?

Whats the budget, and what are you planning to do with it?? To be honest I can repair 98% of 360's with just a re-flow!

You guys should walk before you run! I would start were I did Aoyue 968 and as said above a pre-heater is a must!

So many people invest lots of money into machine's when they don't have a clue, remember these things never work the as advertised!! Save your self the headache, a little Aoyue set would be a good place to start ;)

Around €1,000 or a little more, 968 is hot air what were your returns like with a hot air setup compared to your current infrared machine?

Spend as little as you can, but get some thing that works!

You could spend 400euro or 4,000euro it does not matter. You will get return's the equipment only plays a small small part.

Hot air is the way to go, you may ask why. Because you can control the temperatures way easier, less dead boards.

On the subject of returns offer shorter warranties 30 days to start, and as you get better at utilising your equipment increase it.

Get the Aoyue 968 and pre-heater and I will help you as much as I can! I have to say my original set up was the best and I still have it (I used it for over a year), and will have it shipped over from Canada.

The next thing is flux this is more important than the machine in some respects!! There will be more talk on this later.

Spend as little as you can, but get some thing that works!

You could spend 400euro or 4,000euro it does not matter. You will get return's the equipment only plays a small small part.

Hot air is the way to go, you may ask why. Because you can control the temperatures way easier, less dead boards.

On the subject of returns offer shorter warranties 30 days to start, and as you get better at utilising your equipment increase it.

Get the Aoyue 968 and pre-heater and I will help you as much as I can! I have to say my original set up was the best and I still have it (I used it for over a year), and will have it shipped over from Canada.

The next thing is flux this is more important than the machine in some respects!! There will be more talk on this later.
    what flux do you reccomend I've been messing around with different fluxes lately.
    Stay well away from that chep ebay crap,used it on two board nuked both of them went from 0102 to 0020 both times :mad:

Yeah any flux from china is counter fit Amtech is a very good example they mix old, out of date flux gel with vaseline. I could send you 10ml tube of Mg Chemicals no clean gel flux, I have lots. PM me, if you pay the postage I will send you one.

If any of you guys want help with reflowing or reballing I have been doing this for years, I am here to help. The Achi machine mentioned is crap!!!

I started with a Aoyue hot air set up and pre heater, to be honest reballing cost's money and a lot of headache's. I know a guy in Ireland who reballed two 360 gpu's only for them to fail again in a week (he no longer bothers). I have two machines, Achi IR pro sc which I had to modify to work the as temps were way off and not constant. And a Shuttle star 380II which is pretty good.

As for profiles there a must be one, spend good money on Omega thermocouples there fantastic I also have a Fluke 52II and 54II thermometers. The right temp at the right time are key to the whole thing!!

My own little challenge this week will be to reball some 60gb ps3's.

Bottom line is you guys will have to invest a fair few euros, and many many hours of your time. I would be more than willing to reball anything for you guys, I may even be able to source some cheap Jasper gpu's.

Nice one for sharing the knowledge. If you don't mind sending me one of your flux tubes I would apreciate. I will cover postage etc.

BTW Jasper's GPU are compatible with Jasper mobo only, cpu is the same as in Falcon, but connection to SB are different.

Sorry yes for sure I know about the cpu's, I have about 32 90nm Xexon GPU's here at the min.

Send me a PM about the flux ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

So I was out in my garage and I spotted something I'd forgotten about. It was a xbox 360 with e74 with a hdmi port. Im pretty sure i got it off BrendanD a good while back. I always assumed it was Jtaggable and I even stole the DVD drive off it.

So i fixed it at the weekend, turned it on to get the dash board version... too high! :(

I have no idea what i did with its dvd drive! I have a few lying about that it could be, but even then i think they all have faulty lasers! so to test i need to either dump them all and flash to a good drive or fix the lasers.

Im beginning to wonder is it worth it!

Advertisement