Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Modding Thoughts...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

So I was out in my garage and I spotted something I'd forgotten about. It was a xbox 360 with e74 with a hdmi port. Im pretty sure i got it off BrendanD a good while back. I always assumed it was Jtaggable and I even stole the DVD drive off it.

So i fixed it at the weekend, turned it on to get the dash board version... too high! :(

I have no idea what i did with its dvd drive! I have a few lying about that it could be, but even then i think they all have faulty lasers! so to test i need to either dump them all and flash to a good drive or fix the lasers.

Im beginning to wonder is it worth it!

thats bad luck I have to say. Which version of the mobo is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

not sure, falcon maybe? it has a 3 pin fan connector like jasper, and also has the same cpu heatsink as a jasper

not sure, falcon maybe? it has a 3 pin fan connector like jasper, and also has the same cpu heatsink as a jasper

does it have holes beside sata port like this:

dsc02846450.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

fbBuild v0.12 (Dashboard version 12625) has been released. You can download it from Megaupload, I only saw v0.11 on xbins.org when I went to download it and since then there was a bugfix.

It's only a matter of time before Bestpig updates his tool, but until then you can use these instructions on the JTAG thread to keep on the bleeding edge :P

Please note that you obviously have to use the dashboard from here and not 12611 ;).

I experienced an E71 after completing the post-install full dashboard update, but a 30 second SMC reset (pull the power cable for 30 seconds) sorted it out - I suspect the old dash files were cached :)

Also updated to FSD RC2.1 - it is EPIC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

What advantage does 12625 have over 12611?

• Advertisement

Only advantage I know of is it'll save having to update it later :P Mostly security patches in the new dashboard to stop pirates/hacked lobbies, no extra features or anything

On the downside, the supernice Dashlaunch (which patches the 30ms ping limit along with setting a default program to launch on bootup) is only for 12611 at the minute. So there's no jumping right into Freeboot for 12625 atm - I expect c0z will sort it out soon though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

fbBuild v0.12 (Dashboard version 12625) has been released. You can download it from Megaupload, I only saw v0.11 on xbins.org when I went to download it and since then there was a bugfix.

It's only a matter of time before Bestpig updates his tool, but until then you can use these instructions on the JTAG thread to keep on the bleeding edge :P

Please note that you obviously have to use the dashboard from here and not 12611 ;).

I experienced an E71 after completing the post-install full dashboard update, but a 30 second SMC reset (pull the power cable for 30 seconds) sorted it out - I suspect the old dash files were cached :)

Also updated to FSD RC2.1 - it is EPIC!

OOoh FSD 2.1? I'm sold!

Only advantage I know of is it'll save having to update it later :P Mostly security patches in the new dashboard to stop pirates/hacked lobbies, no extra features or anything

On the downside, the supernice Dashlaunch (which patches the 30ms ping limit along with setting a default program to launch on bootup) is only for 12611 at the minute. So there's no jumping right into Freeboot for 12625 atm - I expect c0z will sort it out soon though :)

I think 12625 re-enabled the boot-to-disc option at startup, I'm going to wait until Bestpig catch up, enter CPU key drag and drop patches and it's done :D

justryan wrote: »
    I think 12625 re-enabled the boot-to-disc option at startup, I'm going to wait until Bestpig catch up, enter CPU key drag and drop patches and it's done :D

Same here, I'm a fully fledged bestpig convert :D

Finally gonna get around to jtagging that Jasper next week TV, I'd clear out your inbox if I were you :D or put me on your ignore list :P

EnterNow wrote: »
    Same here, I'm a fully fledged bestpig convert :D

Finally gonna get around to jtagging that Jasper next week TV, I'd clear out your inbox if I were you :D or put me on your ignore list :P

You're already there :pac: :p

• Advertisement

You're already there :pac: :p

Lol wise thinking my friend! Ah no I'll use your guide but if I get stuck...expect serious pm'age :p:p

Sometimes the Microsoft factory makes them bad outta the production line. This board has a dodgy capacitor on a southbridge line with a solder spur running to another cap right beside it - RROD 0021 GPU Failure.

Thankfully whatever lines are running there aren't all that critical because it hasn't shorted the GPU and a little cleanup job and the console springs back to life.

Lucky, because it's EnterNow's JTAG :P

Boxxdr JTAG wiring is EPIC WIN! Professional, neat and hard to cock up unless you put in the transistor wrong to start with. Cheers wmn, will be updating JTAG thread with it soon, it's my method of choice now :)

Note to self - invest in more heatshrink

Boxxdr JTAG wiring is EPIC WIN! Professional, neat and hard to cock up unless you put in the transistor wrong to start with. Cheers wmn, will be updating JTAG thread with it soon, it's my method of choice now :)

Note to self - invest in more heatshrink

pm me if you need some heatshrink. I have few metres :D

Sometimes the Microsoft factory makes them bad outta the production line. This board has a dodgy capacitor on a southbridge line with a solder spur running to another cap right beside it - RROD 0021 GPU Failure.

Thankfully whatever lines are running there aren't all that critical because it hasn't shorted the GPU and a little cleanup job and the console springs back to life.

Lucky, because it's EnterNow's JTAG :P

Is that why I was getting 3 red lights?? B@stards, & me blaming myself :D

Are you an engineer or something TV, how the hell were you able to id that fault?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is that why I was getting 3 red lights?? B@stards, & me blaming myself :D

Are you an engineer or something TV, how the hell were you able to id that fault?

Maybe. I honestly don't know. There were several problems.

Firstly the LPT writing went wonky, it wrote a heap of 0xFF (blank) blocks to the memory. When I read it with the Nand-X and compared it to what I was about to write (Xellous with the KV injected) there were a load of difference when they should be the same.

Secondly the JTAG wiring wasn't in place, no modifications to the nand can run without those wires - you'll get an E79.

Thirdly, when I restored to stock because of the 0021 RROD I still got it. Cue complete panic attack and frantic looking around for what could be the problem with the GPU/Southbridge. I was only lucky I spotted the capacitor raised slightly and investigated it further to see it was joining two pairs of traces together. I'm not a engineer, I don't work with electronics and normally if I return a console to stock and it still RRODs I can't fix it.

Did any of you guys ever attempt this fan mod http://forums.cvxgameconsolerepair.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=972

I want to get the fan to 9v, 12v is just unbearable and I've found this alternative way

I've never modified the voltages to increase fan speed, nor do I do it with 360 Flash Tool, I use the prebuild FanSpeed_YY.xex (FanSpeed at YY%). I use fanspeed 60% most of the time but it does require running XeXMenu to run the xex.

I may start modding the SMC to do it since if you mod the SMC then you don't have to re-run the FanSpeed XEX after every kernel update. It just that the SMC config screen always looked so complicated

I'm trying this on a non-jtag do you reckon it would work given that the CPU key is not known and I'll be writing to the NAND?

Maybe. I honestly don't know. There were several problems.

Firstly the LPT writing went wonky, it wrote a heap of 0xFF (blank) blocks to the memory. When I read it with the Nand-X and compared it to what I was about to write (Xellous with the KV injected) there were a load of difference when they should be the same.

Secondly the JTAG wiring wasn't in place, no modifications to the nand can run without those wires - you'll get an E79.

Thirdly, when I restored to stock because of the 0021 RROD I still got it. Cue complete panic attack and frantic looking around for what could be the problem with the GPU/Southbridge. I was only lucky I spotted the capacitor raised slightly and investigated it further to see it was joining two pairs of traces together. I'm not a engineer, I don't work with electronics and normally if I return a console to stock and it still RRODs I can't fix it.

So basically the moral of the story is don't waste your time with LPT, jtag wiring needs to be in place for Xell (:o), & I was blessed you spotted the cap issue!

Ladies & gents, I present TV, hero of the console modding forum :D

Thanks again man, very very very much appreciated.

• Advertisement

I'm trying this on a non-jtag do you reckon it would work given that the CPU key is not known and I'll be writing to the NAND?

I reckon it wouldn't work and you have to go down the hardware route. As far as I know the nand contents are checksummed, and once you modify it the checksum doesn't match and you'll get an E79 RROD (just like installing Xellous without the JTAG wiring).

But what harm can you cause? Just remember to take dumps of what you're going to write beforehand.

Cheers it's a 16mb nand, do you know the command with nandpro to write back to the nand, would it be something like this?
    nandpro.exe usb: -w16 orig.bin 0

Cheers it's a 16mb nand, do you know the command with nandpro to write back to the nand, would it be something like this?
    nandpro.exe usb: -w16 orig.bin 0

nandpro.exe usb: -r16 orig.bin 0

-r to read, -w to write :)

Remember to get at least two matching dumps :)

Excellent thanks, I'll give it a go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

would it not just be easier to do this http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=637955
    9v should be good enough
    Seems alot easier than soldering in a nand flasher and messing with the nand and so on.
    Not as tidy but would be alot less hassle.

would it not just be easier to do this http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=637955
    9v should be good enough
    Seems alot easier than soldering in a nand flasher and messing with the nand and so on.
    Not as tidy but would be alot less hassle.

I did that on a Xenon, works perfectly.

I was thinking about throwing a potentiometer on there, mounting it on the chassis and drilling a hole in the case for it. 9v is too loud for a movie, 12v is just too loud. Variable fanspeed ftw!

what would be the best imo would be a switch that goes between 9v 12v and stock.
    The thing about a potentiometer is that someone could turn the potentiometer waaay down and then the xbox cooks itself.

what would be the best imo would be a switch that goes between 9v 12v and stock.
    The thing about a potentiometer is that someone could turn the potentiometer waaay down and then the xbox cooks itself.

Get a potentiometer with a different range, one where it's max resistance doesn't impede more than 6v ;)

• Advertisement

that would do the job :D

Advertisement