Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Modding Thoughts...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Got my Jasper back off TV the other day, along with a usb pic tool so I'll never be left in the lurch again due to lpt :mad:

*Shakes fist at lpt

I was able to get matching dumps by reading the nand via lpt, but writing it kept causing problems. Of course the fact my old laptop (parallel port laptop) died mid way through the process & left me goosed. TV was able to use my initial 2Mb nand dumps to get Xell going via his Nand-X, & that was that.

I used BP's tool to generate freeBOOT 12611 this morning from the new 64Mb dumps, & voila - back in business.

Lesson learned re lpt, leave it with the dinosaurs, where it belongs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

c0z's Dashlaunch v2.20 v2.21 is out for the 12625 kernel - works like a charm, savage stuff to autoload FSD. It's also got a LIVE blocker that routes LIVE traffic to loopback (the console itself) - definitely a worthy addition :)

fbBuild v0.2 is out and it's got a good few additions to it but it's a bit tricky to get working. It can now generate 3 kernels (9199, 12611 and 12625) and each one has their own folder. The chosen folder can be done by using a command line switch (e.g. -f 9199). The problem is that it seems to be distributed without the core kernel files now (e.g. bootanim.xex, etc) so I'm not sure where you're supposed to get them from. I tried taking them from my original nand but I was missing a few so I gave up and downloaded a version from SevenSins that has all the kernel files for the 3 dashboards in it already :P

Once again, follow instructions on Page 3 of the JTAG thread until BestPig comes with an update ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Just repaired a YLOD and switched it on to discover 3.50 firmware happy days!!!

Is the bestpig toolbox out yet for 12625?

EnterNow wrote: »

Not yet no, Coolshrimp worked great for my Jasper though :D

• Advertisement

Do it yourself, it's a piece of p*ss and the instructions are on the JTAG thread too ;)

:o - New LiteOn drive out for the slim drives :D

Well coolshrimps tool strikes again, red light & no xell even. Seriously wonder why I bother half the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Well coolshrimps tool strikes again, red light & no xell even. Seriously wonder why I bother half the time.
    Same :mad:
    Worked well for me the first time I jtagged a 360 but I could never get the freeboot generator to work properly for me any other time.
    Flash it back to stock I suppose to rule out a hardware fault

Same :mad:
    Worked well for me the first time I jtagged a 360 but I could never get the freeboot generator to work properly for me any other time.
    Flash it back to stock I suppose to rule out a hardware fault

About to wire up the usb tool now & await the next plethora of problems. Not how I was planning to spend my Saturday morning

I warn you guys, nobody listens :p

1. Download this file which is fbbuild v0.20 with the dashboard files already loaded (can generate 12625, 12611 and 9199 dashboards). Extract to a folder e.g. C:\fbbuild

2. Download the SMC files I uploaded here. Extract the SMC file for your console model to C:\fbbuild\mydata and rename it to smc.bin

3. Open 360 Flash tool (v0.97 minimum) and click Settings->Options and tick the box that says "Extract ibuild compatible files". Then open your nand dump (original, current, any dump will do) and click extract on the bottom. Tick the box for 'config blocks' and 'Keyvault' and click OK. Choose a folder for these files. When extraction is done, go to that folder and there'll be a folder called freeBOOT, click iit, then into data and you will find two files - kv.bin and smc_config.bin. Copy these two files to C:\fbBuild\mydata

4. Edit C:\fbbuild\mydata\cpukey.txt to have your CPU key on the first line, not the dummy key of the console.

5. Ensure that C:\fbbuild\1blkey.txt has the right 1blkey (same for all consoles) of DD88AD0C9ED669E7B56794FB68563EFA

6. Open command prompt, go to c:\fbbuild and type the following:
    fbbuild -d mydata -f 12625 -c jasper512 C:\updflash.bin

-d is the folder where your console data is
    -f is the folder where the kernel data is, if not specified it will use folder called 'data' in fbbuild folder
    -c is the model - falcon, opus, zephyr, falcon256, falcon512 etc

If you want more info on the build use -v or for a full list of options type fbbuild with no arguments.

It will generate C:\updflash.bin, copy to USB stick, update with Xellous or Flash360. This method has never failed me, I have built updflash.bin files for guys and given them the link over the net, no trouble at all once I have their model, CPUkey, kv and smc_config. Coolshrimp, EZ JTAG tool and everything not Bestpig is ropey as hell, I refuse to use them. They are just a UI around this tool, DIY is best ;)

• Advertisement

Well 90 mins in & I have the usb pic tool soldered up, nandpro working with Win7 x64 & thats about it. The pic tool doesn't seem to be getting picked up at all, let alone asking for drivers. Am I missing something?

Edit - Ok its showing as an unknown device now, TV do you have a link to any drivers for it?

If I'd known you'd run into problems with coolshrimp I wouldn't have recommended it was just talking from my own experience, should be easy enough to recover from :D

justryan wrote: »
    If I'd known you'd run into problems with coolshrimp I wouldn't have recommended it was just talking from my own experience, should be easy enough to recover from :D

Not your fault at all, I'd forgotten you mentioned it completely & stumbled across it myself this morning. Serious, serious pain in the ar$e now. Can't get the usb pic tool recognised, apparently the drivers are in the nandpro folder but Win 7 x64 won't install them ("Doesn't contain compatible driver...make sure its designed to work with 64 bit blah blah")

TV gave me a driver a while back I think we have the same USB reader and I'm Win7 x64 too, it's not libusb in the nandpro folder it's something else I'll have a look around for you

justryan wrote: »
    TV gave me a driver a while back I think we have the same USB reader and I'm Win7 x64 too, it's not libusb in the nandpro folder it's something else I'll have a look around for you

Godsend mate, losing the rag here at this stage :rolleyes:

PIC based programmer (18F2455 I think)

Edit - In device manager, its listed as an unknown device in usb controllers. Status is:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

When I connect my USB reader it shows as MemoryAccess, I've taken the drivers from my own system see if they work

Nope, still nothing. The device ir reporting an error, & a malfunction when I insert it into the pc so there must be a problem with the board. Strange as I got it from TV who said he's used it before...

I may have a completely different device so I reckon TV will know more about it

Ok I wiggled the pic chip a small bit on the board & it was picked up, & now has drivers installed. Bad connection somewhere.

Nandpro now reporting that it can't find the flash controller. I really hit the nail on the head when I said I was expecting a plethora of problems.

Usually what I do when that happens is unplug everything; PSU from Xbox, USB cable from reader & PC. Then plug PSU back into Xbox, plug the USB cable into a USB port and the other end into the reader (you should here the bing sound) then test with Nandpro.
    nandpro.exe usb: -r1 test.bin

Also check your soldering make sure you have a good ground, I solder to one of the spines from the HDMI/AV connector.

• Advertisement

Howdy EN, my apologies for not being on sooner.

You've got the same model as justryan has, the only difference being I had to remove the PIC chip myself and solder on the DIN holders. I tested the board before I gave it to you and it read fine from one of my jaspers. The USB drivers I used are here, they're the same ones I sent justryan so once it's picked up as MemoryAccess you're good to go unless there's a soldering problem.

3. Open 360 Flash tool (v0.97 minimum) and click Settings->Options and tick the box that says "Extract ibuild compatible files". Then open your nand dump (original, current, any dump will do) and click extract on the bottom. Tick the box for 'config blocks' and 'Keyvault' and click OK. Choose a folder for these files. When extraction is done, go to that folder and there'll be a folder called freeBOOT, click iit, then into data and you will find two files - kv.bin and smc_config.bin. Copy these two files to C:\fbBuild\mydata

I reflowed the soldering for the holder, seems to be working away now & I dumped the current wrecked nand that was on it to test it.

Following your earlier post, next problem for today is within the folder thats supposed to hold the two files, I only have one file, smc_config.bin. No KV file despite being checked (I can only check it as 'encrypted only' however), any ideas?

All sorted now I think, that'll be the last time I use anything other than bestpig's tool...utter rubbish & a whole day wasted. Thank god for that usb tool TV, money well spent.

Bestpig won't update his tool, I don't think he has any interest. It's been over a month since 12625 was out. And seriously, 6 steps is not that hard - your problem was with the fact you wrecked your nand to start with :D

The reason you could only get an encrypted keyvault was because you didn't have the CPU key right, correct?

Bestpig won't update his tool, I don't think he has any interest. It's been over a month since 12625 was out. And seriously, 6 steps is not that hard - your problem was with the fact you wrecked your nand to start with :D

The reason you could only get an encrypted keyvault was because you didn't have the CPU key right, correct?

Em not entirely, I had to input my cpu key into the programme & save it. Once that was done everything else went smoothly. I only wrecked my nand through lazyness, a mistake I will not repeat again - the fbbuild way is the way forward assuming BP is finished.

Seriously though, how could the coolshrimp tool have messed up my nand so much. It's not as if I don't understand any of the switches/variables & everything was double checked to prevent happening what actually hapened. I'm glad its over just, from the minute I got no Xell I knew my day was written off :mad:

Em not entirely, I had to input my cpu key into the programme & save it. Once that was done everything else went smoothly. I only wrecked my nand through lazyness, a mistake I will not repeat again - the fbbuild way is the way forward assuming BP is finished.

Seriously though, how could the coolshrimp tool have messed up my nand so much. It's not as if I don't understand any of the switches/variables & everything was double checked to prevent happening what actually hapened. I'm glad its over just, from the minute I got no Xell I knew my day was written off :mad:

No idea how it manages to mess things up, I think it's when it goes writing the KV it messes up and that will prevent Xell/freeBOOT from running. I don't know how that tool works, I just know that when I tried to use it on 3 separate times it wrecked things and I had to go soldering, so now I avoid it like the plague :/

And yeah, you need a decrypted KV for all the methods which is why you have to supply your CPU key. So in order to decrypt the KV you have to save your CPU key in 360 Flash tool. That tool is epic by the way, I love it :D

New dash coming...

New dash coming...

The spring update? Fbbuild here we go again :)

The spring update? Fbbuild here we go again :)

Spring update released on a rollout between May 19th and May 30th. I'd say fbBuild will be along shortly after once they figure out the patch offsets :)

• Advertisement

What surprises are in the dashboard update?

Advertisement