Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Modding Thoughts...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Supposedly freeboot works different parts of the gpu harder,
    And since the gpu was not 100% it made it show e74
    I dont know if theres any truth in it but this is the second time I've heard of it and a gpu replacement fixed it the first time.
    Dont worry he knows what hes doing theres no need to worry about sending the 360 to him nobody has a 100% repair rate and if they do they are lying theres always 1 or 2 that will come back e74 more than others

Oh right maybe!
    If TV is getting it reballed again and it fixes it we will know for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yeah, I'm going to assume it's GPU issues: Strange error code 1322 before I eventually get settled on a 0110 (ram block, but really GPU :D). So yeah, off to the reballer :)

Thats not good i've a 360 that needs reballing and i was gonna go to him.

Sorry I just picked up on this. I'd still send the board to him - witnessmenow got a board done, no bad reports. When I have a board that needs to be done, I'll still send it down to him. The board I'm working on has previously been reflowed/heatgun'd , had the x-clamps removed and appears to have suffered some other stuff (e.g. the lacquer on the underside of the GPU at certain points is scorched like a short circuit would cause). I'd say it's a bit of a lost cause at the minute and the GPU is damaged but I'm not for a second suggesting it was caused by the reball :)

Just to clear all that up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

Out of curiosity who reballed it ?
    Get them to replace the gpu while there at it it might cost a little more €15-€20
    but it will save a headache or two.
    If it was "fixed" with a heat gun before or something similar I wouldn't be holding much hope for any long term fix.
    might be less hassle to pull the cpu and put it on a good board if thats the case

Yes the guy heat gunned the board, was told this after the repair was done.

Replacing the chip was not an option, the repair was done for under 50 euro.

But I am going to replace the gpu now, interested to see if the gpu is at fault! I might even give him a jagged console (Because I am a nice guy!)

You know you received a dud DS flash cart when you try it in a NDS, DSL and DSi along with doing the paper-trick-extreme (6 folds of paper).

Back to China with you, my cousin will not be pleased :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just put my Jasper on 13599 through the virtues of fbbuild. It really is foolproof :cool:

It does look like reams of text to learn it, but its very very easy & well worth learning.

Frontends be damned :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I don't suppose anyone knows anybody in Dublin city who'd do a decent job of modding a Sega Saturn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

EnterNow is your man for retro mods

He's retired though, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    He's retired though, no?

He's a moderator and very active here.
    Down the bottom of the main thread page it shows a list of the mods and PM him.

• Advertisement

I meant from console modding, as opposed to Boards. I vaguely remember him mentioning something in Arcade & Retro. Mind, if he wants to come out of retirement for an old friend (;)), that'd be cricket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I don't suppose anyone knows anybody in Dublin city who'd do a decent job of modding a Sega Saturn?

what kind of mod you looking for? I have few region free bios chips.

docentore wrote: »

That'd do. D'you install them too? 60Hz too, be nice.

That'd do. D'you install them too? 60Hz too, be nice.
    Can do both no probs. Pm me after weekend (going away) and we will sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Some people shouldn't be let near electronics
    I got a xbox in today for repair ...completely butchered ,bad x clamp fix, heat gunned, warped main board,buttered thermal paste, jtag wiring ready to fall off,Hot glue everywhere, the works :(
    Its so badly bowed the heat sinks aren't making proper contact with the chips.
    Supposedly it was repaired the first time by some computer repair shop in Limerick that's now closed down.
    Hopefully the chips are ok and I can get it going again.

On a completely unrelated note I have found out the hard way that rosin flux is really bad for your respiratory system and should be avoided :(
    Synthetic flux is the way to go from now on along with a kick ass respirator.

Note to future self, when the disc is labelled 7371 make sure it's not really 8955. I've now lost a potential jtag by updating with the 8955 system update.

3771053487_a9e99a96ec.jpg
    facepalm by kassch, on Flickr

justryan wrote: »
    Note to future self, when the disc is labelled 7371 make sure it it's not really 8955. I've now lost a potential jtag by updating with the 8955 system update.

3771053487_a9e99a96ec.jpg
    facepalm by kassch, on Flickr

ooops. that had to hurt

ooops. that had to hurt

Like a swift kick in the stones

Some people shouldn't be let near electronics
    I got a xbox in today for repair ...completely butchered ,bad x clamp fix, heat gunned, warped main board,buttered thermal paste, jtag wiring ready to fall off,Hot glue everywhere, the works :(
    Its so badly bowed the heat sinks aren't making proper contact with the chips.
    Supposedly it was repaired the first time by some computer repair shop in Limerick that's now closed down.
    Hopefully the chips are ok and I can get it going again.

On a completely unrelated note I have found out the hard way that rosin flux is really bad for your respiratory system and should be avoided :(
    Synthetic flux is the way to go from now on along with a kick ass respirator.

Finally got the heart to reflow this.
    Its now spitting out an e74 message when trying to boot normally.
    But it loads up xell normally :confused:
    Any ideas before I give this back to the owner

Xell runs on the CPU only, pushing output onto the (H)ANA chip without touching the GPU. I had one like this not too long ago myself, I reckon it's a busted GPU, should be fixable with a transplant

• Advertisement

Xell runs on the CPU only, pushing output onto the (H)ANA chip without touching the GPU. I had one like this not too long ago myself, I reckon it's a busted GPU, should be fixable with a transplant

Figured as much it was something to do with the GPU being dead because the GPU is physically warped from having an over tightened x clamp fix and an overdone heat gun fix.
    ...How to break it to the owner I got the feeling he loved that thing like a child :rolleyes:

Figured as much it was something to do with the GPU being dead because the GPU is physically warped from having an over tightened x clamp fix and an overdone heat gun fix.
    ...How to break it to the owner I got the feeling he loved that thing like a child :rolleyes:

Lets hope he doesn't treat his child like that 360...its the equivilent of being put on a rack.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Lets hope he doesn't treat his child like that 360...its the equivilent of being put on a rack.

Ahh in fairness to him he hadn't a clue on the topic of bga rework and gave it to someone who said they could fix properly the first time it got rrod.
    It just came down to a lack of knowledge on his part and possibly the first tech ????

No idea how it happened as I've done dozens of JTAGs, but somehow at the start of this month when I JTAGed one of my own consoles I managed to nuke a perfectly working keyvault, only noticed now when I went to flash the DVd drive and upgrade to the latest dashboard. Pain in the hole at the minute trying to fix it, patching with another KV gives me Rainbow/Xmas lights...

Its prob old news etc, I don't keep up to speed with burner tech/backup/firmware stuff as I've no need...but you have to take your hate off to that C4E chap. Jesus he's got some talent, I'm surprised MS don't take him on board & offer the chap a job.

He's created new drive firmware, that allows you to create 1:1 backups of XGD3 images. He's giving regular dvd+r dl's an extra GB of space?

http://team-xecuter.com/c4e%E2%80%99s-ixtreme-burner-max-in-association-with-team-jungle-team-xecuter/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=c4e%25e2%2580%2599s-ixtreme-burner-max-in-association-with-team-jungle-team-xecuter

Yeah, he's just announced the models too. LiteOn iHASx24B. The #fw chan is full of people wondering if they have the right model :D

Does anybody have experience with my current predicament - No original nand or KV/Config, but plenty of spares. I just can't seem to get the DVd drive working on the console :(

Yeah, he's just announced the models too. LiteOn iHASx24B. The #fw chan is full of people wondering if they have the right model :D

Does anybody have experience with my current predicament - No original nand or KV/Config, but plenty of spares. I just can't seem to get the DVd drive working on the console :(

Maybe the DVD drive is bricked? A good indicator is that it doesn't eject/clos. With the donor KV/Config are you using the drive meant for that console or is it spoofed?

Nah, the DVD drive is perfectly working, I just replaced the PCB on it and tested it in another console :)

All I have is the CPU Key for the non-working Jasper. I have nothing else, no config/kv and no original nand. I don't care about taking donor KVs because I never take my JTAGs online.

I just want to be able to use the DVD drive in the console, I want Xell to report CPU and DVD key and I want the drive when flashed with said DVD key to be able to play originals. So far I can get Xell to report CPU & DVD Key, but then freeBOOT won't work (it's either blank screen or Xmas Lights).

Nah, the DVD drive is perfectly working, I just replaced the PCB on it and tested it in another console :)

All I have is the CPU Key for the non-working Jasper. I have nothing else, no config/kv and no original nand. I don't care about taking donor KVs because I never take my JTAGs online.

I just want to be able to use the DVD drive in the console, I want Xell to report CPU and DVD key and I want the drive when flashed with said DVD key to be able to play originals. So far I can get Xell to report CPU & DVD Key, but then freeBOOT won't work (it's either blank screen or Xmas Lights).

That is quite the predicament :(

• Advertisement

I know, which is why I'd appreciate any pointers or tips. I'm at the end of my patience with it.

Advertisement