Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless for house with thick walls

Options
  • 25-10-2010 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Two queries in one...

I need a wireless access point for an old very thick-walled house. Internal walls are solid too. Can anyone recommend one with a strong signal?

The house has a Tooway satellite modem providing internet access. Will the access point need to be configured to recognise this as the gateway can it use router DHCP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

just one thing i need to know, you have the modem connected via wireless router but you want to extend you wireless by using AP.

Yes its possible, any router have DD-WRT will be able to handle that. I have one myself is a buffalo router WHR-HP-G54DD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Hi, it's just the broadband modem there at present. A PC is connect via ethernet cable. I now want to use a laptop round the house. It's an old country house with thick stone walls and I've been reading that wireless access points and routers can have problems with old houses.

Thanks for the router recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

To be honest there isn't a whole lot you can do with wireless in that situation, any sort of angle through the walls will completely kill your signal, best you can do is have multiple APs networked throughout the house. If they all have the same SSID you should be able to roam between them without a bother. However even then I'm guessing you will still have some dead spots (unless you have a very high concentration of APs of course) but hopefully you can cover the most important areas. You will obviously need to network between the APs using either cat5 cabling (preferably) or powerline gear.

In reply to your second question, you should be able to use just about any router, just so long as its not specifically for DSL. It will have to be used in conjunction with the satellite modem you already have and connected to it via ethernet.

Advertisement