Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

to tip or not to tip?

• 25-10-2010 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

basically the pizza guy was 2 hours late, rang the store and they said 'oh, he rang you but you never answered so he left.'
    (In fairness - my phone was on silent.)
    suggested that, as my door is 2 feet from the pavement where he parks the motorbike, he might have rung the doorbell. store said 'eh well he didn't'. didn't realise mobiles had taken over the world of delivery junk food to the exclusion of the good oul doorbell!!
    got my pizza 2 hours 20 mins later and didn't tip him. I ALWAYS do as I think delivery is a pretty horrible job given the hours and all.
    Now feel bad.
    Why do I feel bad?! he was obviously pretty lazy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Think that's bad... try getting a delivery of paper to your storeroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

2 hours??

Would've told them to fcuk off and stick their pizza personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

You should have told him you didn't want it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

alwaysadub wrote: »
    2 hours??

Would've told them to fcuk off and stick their pizza personally.

I was STARVING!!!!
    But yeah... you're right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

i only tip for good service. i dont tip because i feel someone has a sh!t job. Not my fault they're delivering pizzas. If he went beyond his job to satisfy my needs then he gets tipped, if he doesnt, then he gets a :D.

was the pizza cold when you got it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

In two hours, you could have gone to the supermarket, bought the ingredients, hand made the dough, allowed it an hour to rise for an hour, cooked it & have it eaten.

winston82 wrote: »
    was the pizza cold when you got it?

Nah... they made me a new one.
    But I do feel bad - getting sick of tipping culture... he had the hand out alright...prob my own fault for feeling bad eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

etymon wrote: »
    basically the pizza guy was 2 hours late, rang the store and they said 'oh, he rang you but you never answered so he left.'
    (In fairness - my phone was on silent.)
    suggested that, as my door is 2 feet from the pavement where he parks the motorbike, he might have rung the doorbell. store said 'eh well he didn't'. didn't realise mobiles had taken over the world of delivery junk food to the exclusion of the good oul doorbell!!
    got my pizza 2 hours 20 mins later and didn't tip him. I ALWAYS do as I think delivery is a pretty horrible job given the hours and all.
    Now feel bad.

Shoddy service shouldn't be rewarded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

is it not easier and quicker to keep the freezer stocked with frozen ones ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I always tip:

Try a thread search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Nah... they made me a new one.
    But I do feel bad - getting sick of tipping culture... he had the hand out alright...prob my own fault for feeling bad eh

to be fair, they should have rang the doorbell. That would pi$$ me off. Really bad service on their part. You were right not to tip. In fact, you should've got it for free imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You ordered the pizza, Had the phone on silent.... Hummm

The pizza guy made 2 deliveries and got one payment....Hummm

See how it reads....

I would say miserable fooker although i think thats insulting to you.

Just give him an extra tip next time and say you were a bit off form for the late delivery....

Make sure you dont order spinach...If there is anything that looks like spinach you will know what he has done. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

they should have given you free pizzas. And they should have taken cost out of his pay. What does delivery mean. You didn't ring for collection.

is your doorbell working. Or his knuckles!

dr ro wrote: »
    is your doorbell working. Or his knuckles!
    yes (to an annoyingly high level) and no
    taxis do it too, always ring the mobile, never come to the door...now I know it applies to pizza delivery too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Who the **** rings a mobile instead of a doorbell :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Just give him an extra tip next time and say you were a bit off form for the late delivery....

What??

He ordered a pizza to be delivered to his house.
    His house has a doorbell.
    Ring the doorbell.
    If there's no response from the doorbell, THEN call.
    Still no response?
    Leave.

Ridiculous.

And I don't know which pizza company it was, but if it was a global chain, then he should have got his pizza for free or some vouchers or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

taxis do it too, always ring the mobile
    I can vaguely understand that one, because it means they won't have to get out of the car. A delivery person would have to go to the door anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I used to do that job of a Chinese take away. I can see why the guy would call first, even tho I would never do that. Sometimes you can be left standing at the door for a few minutes before anybody even answers and in the rain its really unpleasant. Also some people give out to you for ringing the door bell/knocking too loudly because you wake up their children :eek:

Still no excuse, if he didn't get an answer he should have knocked at the door. You should have got your pizza for free and definately should not have tipped.

For the record we don't really have a tipping culture here. When I was doing that job maby 1 in 10 people tipped on a good night. And that was a few years ago before the recession hit.

• Advertisement

i always thought a delivery charge was included in the price anyway. So i wouldn't feel bad about not tipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I used to always tip for take aways. I spend a few nights in Dublin now looking after my mum, one of my old mates does a delievery job; so I pop out on a run with him once a week. Anyway point being after seeing the amount of people that don't tip, I only tip now when the delivery has been prompt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

2 hours late :eek: Hell with it I wouldn't have tipped either :mad:

I almost never tip except in restaurants :confused:
    I don't understand why people do it as a given for everything like taxi, delivery, haircut, and actually feel bad about not tipping bad service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You ordered pizza so you were paying for delivery.
    The delivery charge is in the price, and you get a "discount" if you collect.

So you tipping is paying twice.
    Realy OP, you should have got free pizza here.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't understand why people do it as a given for everything like taxi,

Don't forget when a fare is something like €9.20 and they take aaaaages to get change hoping for a tip :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Now feel bad.
    dont feel bad i'd say. from my experience all delivery guys are on social welfare so this job is quite a nice money maker for them and giving them tips is beyond what they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

ted1 wrote: »
    is it not easier and quicker to keep the freezer stocked with frozen ones ?

Easier? No
    Quicker? Marginally

Cheaper? Yup
    Tastier? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Fúck it. If the phone didn't work he could have tried the doorbell. 2hours late? Name and shame the place and then get your pizza somewhere else next time.

• Advertisement

Don't forget when a fare is something like €9.20 and they take aaaaages to get change hoping for a tip :rolleyes:

Usually they round it down a bit for me :)
    last one was 14.45 => 14.00

But yeah I wouldn't have any patience for that - sit there and get my change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

i only ever tip when it has been earned. if the service or food was not up to scratch then they get nothing.

This poor delivery guy must have hand injuries if they are incapable of knocking on the OP's door.

Our local off licence delivers and the driver calls me on the mobile and tells me to meet him at the car. He never leaves the car.
    I'm more of a fool for agreeing to do it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

I always tip and I always get good service. The guys that deliver from the local chinese and from Fabio's (nyom nyom nyom) know that if they get my food to my place piping hot and on time that they'll be rewarded with a nice tip.

2 hours is ridiculous. My order would've been cancelled long before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Um. So you ate the two and a half hour old pizza? I shudder to think what they put in it after you called.

Crunch crunch crunch.

Advertisement