Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top five irish newspapers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Whats your definition of "****"...

Is it that they do not suit your ideology or is that their form of dissemination of news is sub-standard? I asked because I will be highly surprised why they are still in business if it was due to the latter.

There's a lot of things that are shit & still sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Irish Daily Star
    I don't usually read the paper, but if I'm buying one it'll usually be the Irish Times, even though it's very hard to hold...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Irish Daily Star
    There's a lot of things that are shit & still sell.

Could it be "maybe" they are not **** afterall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ValJester wrote: »
    They're actually more expensive in several countries, so not really.I'll happily pay 2:50 for high quality writing.

So you don't spend any money on Irish papers then I take it?

I won't spend a penny on newsprint these days, old news is no news and the features material don't hack it for the prices being demanded. Online is just better, apart from mopping up spills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Irish Daily Star
    The Irish Times is probably the best of them. I buy it 2-3 times per week, primarily as a way of supporting their website,which is good. Some of their columnists are annoying, ( Yes Fintan I am talking about you) but there is 2-3 full pages of stuff worth reading in there, every day. Can't say that for any of the others.

My favourite newspaper of all time was the english Independent on Sunday (Not, Not, Not, the INM Sindo rag) but it went a bit adrift about 10years ago..
    I also subscribe to the Al-Jazeera feed on twitter, which is excellent.

- FoxT

It's a tabloid rag aimed at lower middle-class, conservative & right wing women. Whether I think it's shit or not is probably irrelevant to it's readership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The Irish Times
    Not strictly speaking. It has three editions - City Edition, City Final Edition and National Edition.

Any time I've read it (about 10 times ever) the "National Edition" has had feck-all national news.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Any time I've read it (about 10 times ever) the "National Edition" has had feck-all national news.

True. But it's still - technically - a national newspaper. A lot of people putting in planning applications with local councils often use it for that reason... as opposed to using local papers, simply because no-one outside Dublin really reads it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

FoxT wrote: »
    I also subscribe to the Al-Jazeera feed on twitter, which is excellent.

:confused: Really??? Is that not the middle east version of Fox i.e. full of bull**** ideology.

/must resist posting a durka durka link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Irish Daily Star
    Actually I find AJ quite neutral and they report rather than opine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Al-Jazeera is actully perfectly legit, the English language version is based in London and has quite a few familair faces working for it these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The Irish Times
    What's "Metro" ? Whatever about the Herald piggybacking on the Indo to be distributed nationwide, Metro certainly isn't a name that justifies inclusion in a national poll, is it ?

What's "Metro" ? Whatever about the Herald piggybacking on the Indo to be distributed nationwide, Metro certainly isn't a name that justifies inclusion in a national poll, is it ?

True. It's not even a national newspaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

None of the above
    voted all options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Irish Daily Star
    I prefer the Irish Times.

As far as I'm concerned, with the exception of the Examiner, the rest of them are just shit for cunts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Irish Daily Star

Nah, it is.

Irish Times, followed by the Examiner for their local sports coverage, always top notch.

The rest are much of a muchness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Tbh I find that newspapers are just page after page of death, rape, assault, jail sentences, financial woe, disaster, more death, fame whores and then the sport. The "News" isnt news, its just a pile of sh!te to depress you and p1ss you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

None of the above
    OP, just out of curiousity, why did you omit the IRISH daily mail, might not be everyones cup of tea but you will be seriously be mistaken to assume that it is not widely read and liked by some...( I am not suggesting I am one of them...:o)

To answer one of your questions...my favourite is Irish times, I think it is value for money ( not that I buy it) but their website is just lovely...( No stupid pop-ups asking for questionnaires etc plus you can actually get all the info without buying the paper itself) and some of their commentators are actaually class.

As someone pointed out, im just doing a little research and want peoples opinion on the top five newspapers...and... as someone else pointed out.... its ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Evening Herald
    What are the top five irish newspapers?
    Irish Daily Star - dont really read anything else, except the Daily Record (Scottish)
    What is your favourite and why?
    Irish Daily Star - entertaining, interesting, has a lot of sports news mainly.

None of the above

Its free, and thats the only reason I put it in the poll. Most people that read it, do so because its free. I just wanted some opinions on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Irish Daily Star
    The Irish Times.

Examiner is very poor except for their local sports. loads of pointless and petty articles.

i like the daily mail cos its cheap enough and theres a good bit of sensible reading in it.

the business post is good but i find it quite boring. the ol man likes it the odd sunday though.

the independant is an anti republican rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Irish Daily Star
    Daroxtar wrote: »
    Tbh I find that newspapers are just page after page of death, rape, assault, jail sentences, financial woe, disaster, more death, fame whores and then the sport. The "News" isnt news, its just a pile of sh!te to depress you and p1ss you off.

You sound like my grandmother. Doesn't stop her reading d'Indo every day though :P
    emmetmcl wrote: »
    What are the top five irish newspapers?
    Irish Daily Star - dont really read anything else, except the Daily Record (Scottish)
    What is your favourite and why?
    Irish Daily Star - entertaining, interesting, has a lot of sports news mainly.

The Daily Record?

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I normally read the Irish Times, have gone off it lately but will sometimes read the sports pages of it.

Have recently started reading the Guardian, cracker of a paper, and only a Euro to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sunday Times is a superb read although obviously not a daily.It does however tend to concentrate on UK news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Metro
    True. It's not even a national newspaper.

But it's free...

None of the above
    policarp wrote: »
    But it's free...

True.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Metro

But that is news.
    Nobody wants to hear about a kangaroo being born.
    Grtting sexually abused in a night club that's big news.
    And especially if youy turn up on Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Evening Herald
    I'd rather be more specific and nominate my favourite page of my favourite newspaper.

You guessed it, the booby page!

Irish Daily Star
    I read the irish times (online only though). I read the indo the odd time, but the standard of writing in the indo is really low. Especially with a particular "journalist" obviously making stuff up for their opinion pieces. The actual news articles are very sensationalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Irish Daily Star
    It's still the Cork Examiner to me

I know it markets itself as a national paper but I just never realy saw it as one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Evening Herald
    Anyone that calls the Sunday Independent the Sindo should be shot...

My favourite (that I pay for) is the only one I buy, the Star on Saturday because of the 50 or so pages of sport. Also read the sport section in the Sunday Independent whenever I get the chance. My favourite paper though is the Galway Advertiser, everything is local and plus, I love going through the classfields section.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

I secretly judge people who buy tabloids as being of sub-intellect. I have yet to be proven otherwise so far!

Irish Daily Star
    THFC wrote: »
    My favourite paper though is the Galway Advertiser, everything is local and plus, I love going through the classfields section.

Do they still deliver door to door?
    I used to do that in college for a few quid, well drinking money

Love the court report, Judge Fahy ripping into anyone before her :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Your Pal Sal

I haven't bought a newspaper in years ... just stick to the free metro in the morn and then the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

ebixa82 wrote: »
    I secretly judge people who buy tabloids as being of sub-intellect. I have yet to be proven otherwise so far!

So are you smarter if you buy the broadsheet Indo than if you buy the tabloid one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The Irish Examiner
    The Irish independent is Irelands best paper, buying it on saturday is by a mile the best value newspaper you can buy and takes me at least an hour to read, I particularly love the "review" section and it's also the only paper that has a decent TV guide. second would be the Herald, which is usually a really good read, both papers usually have some very good articles. I find no other paper is worth actually buying.

I hate the Times because the broadsheet layout is a pain in the arse to read, it can sometimes be good for it's serious news but the vast majority of the time the paper is a snorefest, and if I'm paying for a newspaper I want it to be an enjoyable read. The Guardian can be an ok read.

I always pick up the metro and the Star and Mirror are well worth borrowing but the sun and ALL the sunday papers are a pile of sh*te and never worth buying. But sure everyone I know who buys sunday papers agree that their all trash anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

THFC wrote: »
    Anyone that calls the Sunday Independent the Sindo should be shot...

Sindo it is. When's my execution date? What can I have as my last meal? :)

Greyfox wrote: »
    The Irish independent is Irelands best paper, buying it on saturday is by a mile the best value newspaper you can buy and takes me at least an hour to read, I particularly love the "review" section and it's also the only paper that has a decent TV guide. second would be the Herald, which is usually a really good read, both papers usually have some very good articles. I find no other paper is worth actually buying.

Do you enjoy reading the articles from Alison O'Riordan? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

That's the Sunday Independent

Why are there no Sunday newspapers in the poll?

• Advertisement

Irish Daily Star
    Because the OP picked daily papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The Irish Examiner
    jdivision wrote: »
    Why are there no Sunday newspapers in the poll?

Because their all shi*e, the goings on of z list celebrities and the fact that people love sex is not news

So are you smarter if you buy the broadsheet Indo than if you buy the tabloid one?

No you are equally thick seeing as The Independent is a rag, full of poorly written sensationalistic articles and celebrity gossip. If I was forced to buy The Independent or a tabloid I'd probably buy a tabloid because at least there'd be a bit of tit in it...I couldn't bring myself to read either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Evening Herald
    Do they still deliver door to door?
    I used to do that in college for a few quid, well drinking money

Love the court report, Judge Fahy ripping into anyone before her :D

Yup. And Mary Fahy is still I regular feature.!

Greyfox wrote: »

I hate the Times because the broadsheet layout is a pain in the arse to read, it can sometimes be good for it's serious news but the vast majority of the time the paper is a snorefest, and if I'm paying for a newspaper I want it to be an enjoyable read. The Guardian can be an ok read.

I always pick up the metro and the Star and Mirror are well worth borrowing but the sun and ALL the sunday papers are a pile of sh*te and never worth buying. But sure everyone I know who buys sunday papers agree that their all trash anyway

What do you find difficult about reading The Times. Are your arms to short or your hands to small or are you not able to multi-task in order to hold something and read it at the same time??:confused:

If you want an "enjoyable read" then why don't you read a book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

gurramok wrote: »
    Do you enjoy reading the articles from Alison O'Riordan? :eek:

She's in the Times aswell!

I don't really buy papers that often. Save for a train journey or similar.

I do find it funny when people label certain papers as "rags". For instance I think that the Sindo has the best Sunday coverage of sport (particularly GAA) going, I think Shane Ross is a hero and enjoy Gene Kerrigan. Might not be what everyone wants. I can catch most of it free online anyways :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

today FM; Matt Cooper. delivers facts.

Possibly but he accompanies each fact with enough spit and phlegm to drown a small dog in. What's with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I don't buy papers anymore during the week. On Sundays i either get: The Sunday Times, (Irish)Mail on Sunday, or The Sunday Business Post.
    Or if i've money, all 3.

Last hardcopy of a newspaper i bought was maybe 20 years ago. Irish Times or the Examiner would be my favourites for real journalism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Its all spin and bullsh*t drip fed to an unsuspecting apathetic public.

Dont believe a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Irish Daily Star
    :confused: Really??? Is that not the middle east version of Fox i.e. full of bull**** ideology.

Actually, not in my experience. They do a good job reporting on issues that the western media often ignores, and they don't seem to have an agenda running.

- FoxT

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement