Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top five irish newspapers

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Jesus I can't believe people are mentioning the star as their favourite newspaper.

It truely is a wretched publication for utter cretins, far worse than the sun or mirror.

I wouldn't wipe my arse with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The English Times for international news on occasion, that's about it, every Irish newspaper is either utter drivel like the Mail or the 'ten words and 6 HUGE PICTURES on a page' Star or they are so in bed with a particular political party as to make their domestic reporting completely unreliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Irish Daily Star
    Haven't touched the Star since their shameful photo of motorcycle legend Joey Dunlop in 2000

And turned a lot of others away from it, it was discussed here on motorsport forum so people still remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Irish Daily Star
    Haven't bought an Irish newspaper in well over 5 yrs. If I'm buying a daily paper it'll be a UK one, usually the times or telegraph, because the price for the quality of the journalism and the amount of world news (not just domestic stuff) is good value, even if they have a certain anti Irish bias (only the telegraph really).
    The Irish news is small enough that I can pick up what I need to about it from the various radio stations or RTÉ TV...if there's a piece of Irish journalism worth reading it'll be on AH at some point
    I wouldn't even use a tabloid, UK or Irish to cover up for decorating nevermind wiping my arse (but then I couldn't give a f*ck about sport or celeb/xfactor/TV bullsh*t ), and I hold a similar view on local papers (at least the ones local to me).
    [edit] If I had to choose one Irish np it'd be the Irish Times I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Haven't touched the Star since their shameful photo of motorcycle legend Joey Dunlop in 2000

And turned a lot of others away from it, it was discussed here on motorsport forum so people still remember

What was that about again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The Irish Examiner
    ebixa82 wrote: »
    No you are equally thick seeing as The Independent is a rag, full of poorly written sensationalistic articles and celebrity gossip. If I was forced to buy The Independent or a tabloid I'd probably buy a tabloid because at least there'd be a bit of tit in it...I couldn't bring myself to read either...

Calling people thick because they don't read the same paper as you, do you not think it might be time to grow out of such childish and utterly pathetic behaviour? Is the concept of people having different opinions and tastes really that difficult for you to grasp? Do you think it should be against the law to buy something for enjoyment? When it comes to news all I care about is the basics which is for me why the Indo is the perfect middle ground between the "trash papers" and the "serious papers". Considering the Indo sells far better then the Times it appears that theirs a lot of people out their like me.

It's true that with the internet etc news has definitely become dumbed down which means more papers cover trivial nonsense rather then real news but for now this is something I don't have the time to care about
    What do you find difficult about reading The Times. Are your arms to short or your hands to small or are you not able to multi-task in order to hold something and read it at the same time??:confused:

If you want an "enjoyable read" then why don't you read a book?

I'll have you know my hands are of the perfect size. I don't see why I should have to read a paper like I'm reading a bloody map just so that a broadsheet can make more money out of advertising. It's annoying when your on a bus/train or with company trying to fold pages just so that you can read something, a proper paper should understand the concept of convenience for the reader.

Because I'd prefer to read both for enjoyment, you'll find that theirs no law against such a practice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Irish Daily Star
    my favourite newspaper is the wall street journal.

Now if you'll excuse me.

*puts in monocle and top hat*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Greyfox wrote: »
    Calling people thick because they don't read the same paper as you, do you not think it might be time to grow out of such childish and utterly pathetic behaviour? Is the concept of people having different opinions and tastes really that difficult for you to grasp? Do you think it should be against the law to buy something for enjoyment? When it comes to news all I care about is the basics which is for me why the Indo is the perfect middle ground between the "trash papers" and the "serious papers". Considering the Indo sells far better then the Times it appears that theirs a lot of people out their like me.

It's true that with the internet etc news has definitely become dumbed down which means more papers cover trivial nonsense rather then real news but for now this is something I don't have the time to care about

I'll have you know my hands are of the perfect size. I don't see why I should have to read a paper like I'm reading a bloody map just so that a broadsheet can make more money out of advertising. It's annoying when your on a bus/train or with company trying to fold pages just so that you can read something, a proper paper should understand the concept of convenience for the reader.

Because I'd prefer to read both for enjoyment, you'll find that theirs no law against such a practice!

1) You seem to have taken me up wrong. I simply said that people who buy tabloids tend to belong to a specific cohort of society and would tend to be of a certain intellect.

2) You are right. It is a highly complex skill trying to read a broadsheet paper. It's a shame nobody at The Irish Times has figured this out.

At least there are many "proper" papers like The Daily Mail, The Star etc. which have done this to make reading the news a more enjoyable and less stressful experience for you!

The Irish Examiner
    At least there are many "proper" papers like The Daily Mail, The Star etc. which have done this to make reading the news a more enjoyable and less stressful experience for you!

Ah bless :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I only read The Sunday Times.
    Irish papers are muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

The Irish Times and to a slightly lesser extent The Irish Examiner are the only ones I'd touch.

I generally read either The Guardian or The New York Times (while I could get it anyway). The Sunday Times on the odd weekend.

The Irish Examiner
    Only papers I read/buy are the Irish Independent and Sunday Independent. They were always bought at home so got into reading them. Best compromise between the crap tabloids and the boredom of the Irish Times imo.

I find it strange that people try to put the Indo in with the tabloids this forum is the only place where I have ever seen that and I find it a bit deluded.

I find it strange that people try to put the Indo in with the tabloids this forum is the only place where I have ever seen that and I find it a bit deluded.

Probably because the standard of journalism, sensationalism and celebrity bollix is the same in The Independent as most tabloids.

It's basically a tabloid without the tits!

The Irish Examiner
    Probably because the standard of journalism, sensationalism and celebrity bollix is the same in The Independent as most tabloids.

Your talking complete and utter sh**e, theirs a big difference between The Indo and Herald to the Sun/Star/Mirror!

The Irish Examiner

Pure nonsense!

Considering the Indo sells far better then the Times it appears that theirs a lot of people out their like me.

!

It appears that there may well be. Perhaps that might help explain the level of literacy displayed by some posters here!

The Irish Examiner
    It appears that there may well be. Perhaps that might help explain the level of literacy displayed by some posters here!

Perhaps but sure we all know life is far too short for anybody to worry about something as trivial as minor grammer mystakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Irish Daily Star
    Perhaps but sure we all know life is far too short for anybody to worry about something as trivial as minor grammer mystakes

Not least newspaper journalists and their respective editors...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I get all of my news online and through television and radio bulletins. At work they have free Irish Independents every day but that is an absolute rag.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Irish Daily Star
    I read mostly English papers (The Guardian, The Independent, occasionally the Financial Times) When I'm feeling patriotic I'll pick up the Irish Times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Weekdays would be the Times or Examiner, and the Evening Echo cause someone in the house always seems to get it.

On a side note, can anyone else outside Cork get the Echo? I always thought it was confined to Cork but a mate recently told me he saw it on sale in Limerick, i told him he was seeing things but im interested to know is it sold all over Munster??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Irish Examiner
    I do read the Indo whenever the housemate leaves it around the house, used to be bought all the time at home along with the Sunday Indo. It's cack, I know, but it's a cross between that and getting my daily news fix online.

Though that Life supplement that comes with it usually sends me off in a rage, pure garbage.

Can't fault The Sun for page 3, though. :pac:

EDIT: One thing I hate is this intellectual superiority some people have purely on the basis of the type of newspaper they read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

None of the above
    Anyone have any sales figures of Newspaper sales in Ireland, including the British tabloids?

Be interesting to see if the Poll reflects the truth of what people actually buy.

In my own experience, people tend to be news snobs and what they say they buy regularly buy and what they actually buy, are two different things.

Take the Sunday World, if people hated that newspaper as much as they say, it would not have the sales figures that it does.

Not sure if the recession has had a massive effect on them, but I remember they use to sell 300,000 copies each Sunday, don't think any other paper has done that.

Also, when I'm on the Luas with my Daily Sport, I rarely see a Irish Times being read, the odd one maybe - but no more than any other newspaper for sure.

Then, maybe that because Irish Times readers have their copy tucked away in their glove compartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Irish Daily Star
    I am a total newspaper junkie!....I read the Irish times every day and the Sunday times at the weekend...I sometimes buy the Guardian just to get a different view on things....I use to buy the Sunday Independence but it got on my nerves so much i gave up buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

None of the above
    jdivision wrote: »
    That's the Sunday Independent

Why are there no Sunday newspapers in the poll?
    Because the OP picked daily papers

I'm looking at, more or less, what people are reading after a days work and why.

So far looks like the times. I wanted to do a poll on whether each paper is objective or not, but its not relevant to what I'm looking for.

Thanks for everyone who has responded with something interesting thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Don't think I have ever bought a newspaper myself. The folks get the Independent every day, which usually gets a quick skim through when I'm home from college.
    Otherwise, all my news comes from a mixture of twitter feeds and The Guardian website.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

3 questions;
    What are the top five irish newspapers?
    What is your favourite and why?
    Which newspaper do you dislike the most, and why?

Indo,Sindo, Times, why? There's no need to answer that!!

Despise sun,star,mirror and the likes, why? because they're very poorly put together & it's aload of b*ll*x really, I'm more likely to hear about who lost sunday's games in an article that was meant to be (and started out) about arthritis!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

lisaface wrote: »
    Indo,Sindo, Times, why? There's no need to answer that!!

Despise sun,star,mirror and the likes, why? because they're very poorly put together & it's aload of b*ll*x really, I'm more likely to hear about who lost sunday's games in an article that was meant to be (and started out) about arthritis!!

No you're not, don't be silly.

The irony of you being as sensational as the papers you say you despise is amusing though.

Irish Daily Star
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    Anyone have any sales figures of Newspaper sales in Ireland, including the British tabloids?

Be interesting to see if the Poll reflects the truth of what people actually buy.

In my own experience, people tend to be news snobs and what they say they buy regularly buy and what they actually buy, are two different things.

I don't buy any! Read them online

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement