Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2009 mazda 6 2.0d DPF LIGHT

Options
  • 25-10-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My mazda 6 2.0l diesel sport is showing a flashing DPF light on the dash.Went to local mechanic but he does not have the software to do the regeneration so i have to go to a mazda dealership,which im not looking forward too.Any suggestions how to get this sorted without costing me an arm and a leg?..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Unless someone's skimped on servicing won't it still be under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 macca6002

75k mls,warranty up at 65k mls

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

macca6002 wrote: »
    ...Any suggestions how to get this sorted without costing me an arm and a leg?..
    Take her out on the motor-way and drive the living shyte out of her - redden her, having let her warm up properly first. Was she doing a heap of short journeys lately?

If this doesn't clear the problem it could be a failed sensor or big bill. My pal in Galway got hit with €1,250 for a failed DPF in a Saab (Opel Vectra) a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 macca6002

Tried that.also did the 20mph for 15mins thing that it sed in the owner manual

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

OK, sorry about that. It sounds the regen can't be triggered by the ECU or by the "normal" fixes.

Can your mechanic's code-reader / diagnostic system interrogate the ECU for faults even if it can't switch on the regen cycle?

Those DPF's are a bummer, but needed for the Euro V emissions I think so you can't yank them out or it'll be a fail come NCT-time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

On the 407 2.0 hdi's (Which i think is the same engine) the dpf usally
    blocks up around 120k miles.
    As mathepac has said it could be one of the different sensors used to monitor the condition of the dpf e.g. filter load..differential pressure..etc.

Most garages with diagnostic equipment like snapon...launch etc should be able to check this for you and save you some money instead of getting ripped off at the main stealers.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mazda engine is not a PSA/Ford unit, it is built inhouse. DPFs are a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote: »
    Mazda engine is not a PSA/Ford unit, it is built inhouse. DPFs are a curse.

+1

And the problems with the Mazda diesel engine have dropped Mazda from one of the top 5 reliable car makes to one of the bottom five. Avoid, avoid, avoid!!!

New replacement 2.2 litre unit is supposed to be much more rebust but still too early to know for sure in books.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote: »
    New replacement 2.2 litre unit is supposed to be much more rebust but still too early to know for sure in books.

Aye and as you said, the DMF is a disaster waiting to happen on most modern diesel cars. A neighbour just spent €2,500 for a DMF fix (including TB and full service) on his 3 year old Korean car, just out of warranty.

Painful money to spend on such a crap car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Modern diesels are far too complex for their own good.

That said, with the new trend of direct injection and turbocharging, modern petrol engines are slowly becoming very complex too.

I really am not keen on the current trend of downsizing.

Perhaps I am backward and don't like seeing progress where you no longer need your own oil well to have something with decent power but my fear, which I feel is justified after what has happened with modern diesels, is that any fuel savings will be wiped out by the added costs of fixing them when they go wrong, which will get more and more common as petrol engines become increasingly complex.

unkel wrote: »
    Aye and as you said, the DMF is a disaster waiting to happen on most modern diesel cars. A neighbour just spent €2,500 for a DMF fix (including TB and full service) on his 3 year old Korean car, just out of warranty.

Painful money to spend on such a crap car...

Tell me about it, just had mine replaced 3 weeks ago, my wallet is €900 lighter. The even worse thing is that I am planning on changing in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Just a shot in the dark,

Why not pull out the DPF and install this small box of tricks:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/FAP-DPF-OFF-DIESEL-PARTICULATE-FILTER-EMULATOR-/320559713381?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa2d90c65#ht_943wt_1139

I've no idea if it works or not, but it claims that you will never have DPF faults again (as its not there:D)

Advertisement