Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training for FIRST EVER RACE, 5K Run on the 4th of Decemeber...

• 25-10-2010 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Looking to start next Monday, 1st of November.
    Which leaves me with 4weeks to train, I'm not a big cardio person,
    Infact I hardly ever do it at all.
    This will be my first ever race.

Can anyone give me some tips and advice on the best way of Prep?
    E.g. Training Schedules and diet etc etc...

The only cardio I usually do is the Crosstrainer,
    I used to do 3 times a week an hour each go.
    Burning around 650-700 calories.

I was thinking for first week.
    Monday: 2km
    Tuesday: Crosstrainer (1hour)
    Wednesday: 2km
    Thursday: Crosstrainer (1hour)
    Friday: 2km
    Saturday: REST
    Sunday: 3km

Much appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Rather than making a plan up you would be much better off following a proper, structured training plan. that way the distance increases are gradual (to minimise injury) and there are speed sessions geared towards your chosen distance and level. Google 5km training plans and you'll see loads. Hal Higdon is highly recommended for beginners but I'm not sure if he has plans that go down to 5k. The "Couch to 5km" plan is also excellent, it starts assuming you can't run and builds to a 5km run after a certain number of weeks but if you can already run you can jump in at whatever distance you are comfortable with.

My biggest piece of advice though is to not take up running from scratch with a race planned inside a month. Better to train for a month or two and see how you feel, then enter a race. While the crosstrainer will develop your cardio fitness it's not going to do a whole lot for your ability to run - it's non load bearing and works the muscles in a very different way so I wouldn't bank on fitness from it translating directly to road running (tarmac can be tough on your joints until you are used to it). Other than that search on here for beginner running or beginner race and you'll get loads of advice.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I know you have a race planned, and thats not such a bad thing as it motivates you. But dont do so much running in the next four weeks that after the race you hate it and never want to run again. :)

Plan three or four days a week when you will run. For now dont worry so much about the xtrainer. Get out and complete your distance, nice and easy at first. If you cant run it all, walk when youre out of breath and run again as soon as you get it back. A plan with increasing distance is best, so you know what you have to do on any given day.

It will feel tough the first few times, but you will get a day when suddenly it clicks and feels good. Above all, enjoy it. Thats what running is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Declanr

Richie,
    I echo the previous two opinions and would add that it's worrying that you could think about "RACING" on 4 weeks training. Go and "ENJOY" the event and take part without the racing lark.
    You want to seriously know how to run & race, then join a running club and learn from the coaches and other experienced athletes.

You can't RACE with 4 weeks training, you can kid yourself you can, anyway it's only 5km you won't kill yourself. GO FOR IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Declanr

Actually on reading your post it appears as if it's been written by Ross O'Carroll Kelly.
    Is that really you Ross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Declanr wrote: »
    Actually on reading your post it appears as if it's been written by Ross O'Carroll Kelly.
    Is that really you Ross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doubt it, there was no mention of Mounties in the Cardio bit ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement