Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finglas area bus service changes

Options
  • 25-10-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

just to inform everybody
    dublin bus will have a roadshow in tesco clearwater this thursday from 12 to 6 to discuss area route changes
    the following has been proposed by dublin bus
    1 removal of route 220
    2 amalgamation of route 40 40a to new route 40 serving all the way to liffey valley
    3 new route 40 will no longer serve charlestown mellowes road farnham drive and wellmount rad or finglas dual carraigeway from tolka valley road to finglas village.
    4 new terminus to be finglas place
    5 new route 17a to blanchardstown will replace route 220 but will not serve 220 route in finglas ballymun and ladyswell

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

amalgamation of route 40 40a to new route 40 serving all the way to liffey valley
    3 new route 40 will no longer serve charlestown mellowes road farnham drive and wellmount rad or finglas dual carraigeway from tolka valley road to finglas village

what does this mean? where is the bus going now? it goes from glasnevin cemetery and then where? how is it getting to liffey valley ? does this mean that the village will no longer have a bus service?

do you have a link for this? there is nothing on the db's website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Link here: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Finglas-West-and-South/
    Route 40 will operate from Finglas Village to Finglas West and Finglas South travelling onwards to the City Centre, Dame Street, St. James’s Hospital and Thomas Street to Liffey Valley. This will provide a greatly improved cross city connection from the entire Finglas area. The proposed Route 40 will also provide a better service from West and South Finglas to Finglas Village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Proposed route diagram http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/6582/Finglas%20Roadshow%20Brochure%20V6%20%283%29.pdf

That will be some camel ride from finglas village out to liffey valley through town but I suppose most people will be making half way journeys so the bus should empty out and fill back up again in the city centre. I wonder what the fair will be for the full journey, and also the journey time. It does give more access to the west of the city but I'm glad I have the motorbike all the same. Wouldn't fancy sitting through that trip out on a bus in rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

irishbird wrote: »

what does this mean? where is the bus going now? it goes from glasnevin cemetery and then where? how is it getting to liffey valley ? does this mean that the village will no longer have a bus service?

do you have a link for this? there is nothing on the db's website

The 40 and 40a are to merge with the 78a making a cross-city route.

They are proposing that the 40 will start at Finglas Place and then take the following route:

Route 40
    Finglas Village » McKee Avenue » Plunkett Avenue » Cardiffsbridge Road » St Helena's Road » Tolka Valley Road » Finglas Road » Whitworth Road » Dorset Street » O’Connell Street » Dame Street » James’s Street » Emmet Road » Sarsfield Road » Ballyfermot
    Road » Coldcut Road » Neilstown Road » Fonthill Road » Liffey Valley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its years overdue for one of those 40's to cross the river! It used to be my bugbear that all the Finglas buses that served the housing estates stopped at Parnell st.

Irishbird, you will still have the 140 bus at the village.

• Advertisement

140 doesn't enter the village though. 40 will still go to the village from Cardiffsbridge Road.

Only one of the 40A's in the morning and the evening used to cross the river to St. Stephens Green so it's about time!

Actually why not make the 40D to cross the river? Its the only bus into town from the business parks at Blanch and it stops at Parnell st and its fast too.

140 doesn't enter the village though. 40 will still go to the village from Cardiffsbridge Road.

Only one of the 40A's in the morning and the evening used to cross the river to St. Stephens Green so it's about time!

It says in the link that the 40 will skip the village. It will go from St Helena's Rd to Tolka Valley Rd and then onto the cemetery.

The 140 bus stop is right beside the village, less than a minute's walk from the TSB!

Route 40 will operate from Finglas Village to Finglas West and Finglas South travelling onwards to the City Centre, Dame Street, St. James’s Hospital and Thomas Street to Liffey Valley. This will provide a greatly improved cross city connection from the entire Finglas area. The proposed Route 40 will also provide a better service from West and South Finglas to Finglas Village.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/6582/Finglas%20Roadshow%20Brochure%20V6%20(3).pdf
    Route 40
    nglFias Village » McKee Avenue » Plunkett Avenue » Cardiffsbridge Road » Finglas Road » Whitworth Road »
    Dorset Street » O’Connell Street » Dame Street » James’s Street » Emmet Road » Sarsfield Road » Ballyfermot
    Road » Coldcut Road » Neilstown Road » Fonthill Road » Liffey Valley

Ah ok, I was looking at the map and mistook the starting point. Suppose it looks like a better route going orbital outwards and then onto the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭med1

the only thing not mentioned on the web is the current 40a routes to northern business park and the runs to toberburr.its not mentioned anywhere about toberburr so what will happen to them

med1 wrote: »
    the only thing not mentioned on the web is the current 40a routes to northern business park and the runs to toberburr.its not mentioned anywhere about toberburr so what will happen to them

I would imagine that the service to Toberburr will stay put - it's an essential social service.

gurramok wrote: »
    Its years overdue for one of those 40's to cross the river! It used to be my bugbear that all the Finglas buses that served the housing estates stopped at Parnell st.

Irishbird, you will still have the 140 bus at the village.

i dont use any buses from the village, so the 140 doesnt effect me.

looks like all 100's of emails to dublin bus demanding a bus that goes to the southside kinda worked, would have preferred if it went further down towards merrion square but i supose beggars cant be choosers.

i wonder where the stop is going to be on O'Connell Street.

and can someone also tell why in gods name would they have their meeting thing between 12pm and 6pm ????????? at 6pm there is usually about a 100 people waiting to get on the 40's at parnell street.

I think it was set at this time so the real communters couldnt get to it

they cancelled those buses about a year ago - feckers

dont forget everybody finglas roadshow tommorow tesco clearwater from 12 to 6 if you care about your service be there
    also show in blanchardstown tommorow between 2 and 8 at the centre

med1 wrote: »
    dont forget everybody finglas roadshow tommorow tesco clearwater from 12 to 6 if you care about your service be there
    also show in blanchardstown tommorow between 2 and 8 at the centre

Not til 4th November mate, it's Blanchardstown tomorrow.

they have changed the dates originally the roadshow was marked up for tommorow
    i wonder were they worried about the numbers been organisd to turn up at tescos

just a reminder please turn up this thursday as it appears that dublin bus are lying about changes fact in blanchardstown
    the booklet published for blanchardstown showed the new timetable gaps for all routes
    for example the 17a is listed as every 10 minutes peak every 15 off peak
    sounds good
    the reality is peak every 15 minutes off peak every 20 minutes thats a big differnce with a half hour gap on a sunday which wasnt even mentioned.
    so we are been told a 40 every 10 minutes peak 12 mins off peak
    17a 10 mins peak 20 mins of peak
    40d 15 mins peak 30 mins off peak

what is strange here is why is the 17a which has already been changed been given a 10 minute peak as it is 15 mins and can we believe any of the times based on the current 17a timetable and mess in blanchardstown since the changes also there is no mention of weekend times

so ensure you go and ask

did anyone else get a letter from dermot aherne about this today? posted from the dail???

anyway, i have a job so i want be able to make it

I'll be there, think it's till 8pm.

• Advertisement

unfortunatly its 12 to 6
    even if you cant go write to ray coyne at dublin bus head office as heis the one in charge of these changes

dont forget if you havnt already go to tescos clearwater today the roadshow is there till 6
    lots of people are going already
    3 points that have come accross already
    staff dont know what is to happen to toberburr as it is not on the 40 route
    the 220 will remain as long as fare paying people use it not social welfare passes
    they like the idea of a new 40a going by the old 40a route then going to scribblestown back to ratoah road and onto charlestown if more people will back it
    the changes will happen this month towards the end of the month so get down and have your voice heard

Wonder would re-introducing the 240 (Toberburr to Finglas Place ran in 2009) half hourly at peak times and hourly off peak be an option? There weren't that many 40a services going to Toberburr anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

My priority would be extending something like the 140 to the Airport. nightmare getting there if you can't afford a taxi.

oh i like that idea of a bus to the airport

finglas is a blackspot when it comes to public transport

i mean i only took me 2 years of complaining to them about not having a bus that goes southside before anything changed

and i do think there should be a bus servicing the rathoath road, i miss the 40d :(

Oh yeah the 40D used to go down the Rathoath Road and around to St Helena's Road that way didn't it? Seems like a good idea

Wonder would re-introducing the 240 (Toberburr to Finglas Place ran in 2009) half hourly at peak times and hourly off peak be an option? There weren't that many 40a services going to Toberburr anyway.

I would imagine that the existing services to/from Toberburr will be maintained.

There really isn't sufficient demand to justify anything more, and they couldn't really offer anything less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I loved the 240, great local service, I only got to use it once though. It must have run for about a month only.
    Oh yeah the 40D used to go down the Rathoath Road and around to St Helena's Road that way didn't it? Seems like a good idea
    It was the 40c that came down to the Rathoath Rd, it ran the 40A route, apart from a little diversion down Deanstown Ave, around the school to the Rathoath Road, onto Rathvilly Road and back up Deanstown Avenue and on to town the usual way.

There used to be a good group of people who'd get on and off there at the school every day, and we used to all have to troop up to Cardiffsbridge Road after they pulled the C.

I have a car now though, so I don't have to be a peasant on public transport any more :pac:

KC61 wrote: »
    I would imagine that the existing services to/from Toberburr will be maintained.

There really isn't sufficient demand to justify anything more, and they couldn't really offer anything less.

according to staff at roadshow it is not on the boards for finglas
    140 and 19 are to be extended next year hopefully to airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

One of my suggestions was extension of 140, it makes sense, nightmare to try and get to airport from here

Advertisement