Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farmleigh-Why is the Government meeting in a glorified B&B to discuss the Budget?

• 25-10-2010 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Well! At first I thought that, for once, the "Government" was taking the issues facing 4 million citizens seriously by meeting after hours at Farmleigh.
    But then, slowly, the reality sank in, another Kilkenny-style booze up!
    If they were seriously concerned about the budget then surely an all day yack in Government Buildings would have sufficed, surrounded by their Civil Service lackeys?
    Any bets on another bunch of sore throats tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

OisinT wrote: »
    Why not?

Will they be doing interviews at 8am while severely overhung?

If that was me, I'd be sacked straight away from my job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Farmleigh is nice though/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

dusty207 wrote: »
    Well! At first I thought that, for once, the "Government" was taking the issues facing 4 million citizens seriously by meeting after hours at Farmleigh.
    But then, slowly, the reality sank in, another Kilkenny-style booze up!
    If they were seriously concerned about the budget then surely an all day yack in Government Buildings would have sufficed, surrounded by their Civil Service lackeys?
    Any bets on another bunch of sore throats tomorrow?

...because they have to use Farmleigh for something....

Nodin wrote: »

It has nice parklands for a nice cold evenings walk under the stars :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

gurramok wrote: »

....those romantic exchanges of pledges of loyalty when the time comes to shaft the other fecker......the quick trot round the Bushes to tell the other fecker what was just said.....the gentle rustle of envelopes....

Nodin wrote: »

Exactly. ironically i'm sort of glad they are getting some use out of it.
    No doubt another piss up will ensue though, courtesy of the taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Because they can!

Farmleigh is an absolute drain on public finances - a real white elephant! But our government can get away with just about anything can't they. After all you couldn't expect them to sit in the Dail every day now could you?

Sure what better way for our taxes to be spent - cant expect them to slum it all the time!!!!:confused:

Perhaps they should buy a five-star hotel for themselves - that would be more fitting methinks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I was there a few weeks ago at the open day. I nicked a few apples from a tree. They were nice...:D

Because they can!

Farmleigh is an absolute drain on public finances - a real white elephant! But our government can get away with just about anything can't they. After all you couldn't expect them to sit in the Dail every day now could you?

Sure what better way for our taxes to be spent - cant expect them to slum it all the time!!!!:confused:

Perhaps they should buy a five-star hotel for themselves - that would be more fitting methinks!!!
    meanwhile at farmleigh house the govt are checking up on boards.ie when they come across this thread and have a eureka moment with that post :D

• Advertisement

meanwhile at farmleigh house the govt are checking up on boards.ie when they come across this thread and have a eureka moment with that post :D

They could camp in the Phoenix Park or the Woods themselves in order to do their patriotic duty? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

They could camp in the Phoenix Park or the Woods themselves in order to do their patriotic duty? :)

Did you see the line of chauffeur driven mercs coming up the driveway with our austerity measures?LOL:D

I was there a few weeks ago at the open day. I nicked a few apples from a tree. They were nice...:D

Oiiiiiiii...Tax payers apples!

;)

Did you see the line of chauffeur driven mercs coming up the driveway with our austerity measures?LOL:D

No, did they cycle up eco-warrior type? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Oiiiiiiii...Tax payers apples!

;)

Probably the only things at Farmleigh not rotten to the core.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Because they can!

They could hire their children and spouses then as staff paying them above the odds! :) But then a few more staff as well to actually do the work! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Will they be doing interviews at 8am while severely overhung?

I've never seen the phrase overhung before :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

If it's at Farmleigh and it's about the budget it's to maintain privacy and keep the numbers under wraps. Nothing and I mean nothing stays confidential in the Dáil for more than a few minutes from anyone, everyone knows everyones ****. I'd say it's to prevent leaks, it's the medias doom & gloom bit is guiding the markets so they're tryna prevent that by telling them as little as possible, and to prevent them from finding out as little as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Do ye think Brian has the 3 Mary's out in the woods for a bit of a midnight rumble:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

david75 wrote: »
    If it's at Farmleigh and it's about the budget it's to maintain privacy and keep the numbers under wraps. Nothing and I mean nothing stays confidential in the Dáil for more than a few minutes from anyone, everyone knows everyones ****. I'd say it's to prevent leaks, it's the medias doom & gloom bit is guiding the markets so they're tryna prevent that by telling them as little as possible, and to prevent them from finding out as little as possible.

But the markets already know our situation and how bad it is and we are not going to the markets until January, that said what they need to know is how we are going to tackle the problems.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Media talks us into recession to a huge degree. Stops consumer confidence, stops them spending and affects stock markets and up from there. They're keeping the media in the dark as much as possible in the (vain) hope that they'll report on other things and we'll all just carry on, business as usual, us and the markets i mean. They want to normalise it as much as possible.

How many times a month do you or someone near you hear yourself or someone else saying 'i'm sick of hearing about all this doom and gloom all the time on the tv/radio/papers?' I hear it a lot. Media puts it on us and that's their duty but it also has adverse effects in huge ways across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Its a Recession. They have to downsize and that is what Farmleigh offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

david75 wrote: »
    Media talks us into recession to a huge degree. Stops consumer confidence, stops them spending and affects stock markets and up from there. They're keeping the media in the dark as much as possible in the (vain) hope that they'll report on other things and we'll all just carry on, business as usual, us and the markets i mean. They want to normalise it as much as possible.

How many times a month do you or someone near you hear yourself or someone else saying 'i'm sick of hearing about all this doom and gloom all the time on the tv/radio/papers?' I hear it a lot. Media puts it on us and that's their duty but it also has adverse effects in huge ways across the board.

Too late for that, people are not spending because we don't know what is going to happen, property charges etc.........

Forget about the Irish stock market, the important thing are the bond markets, the people who are lending money to us and these people are well aware of our problems, what they want to see is how we are going to tackle them, that is the reason why we were paying very high rates and why we are not borrowing at the moment until January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

When I saw the thread title I thought it said they were meeting on that game thing Farmville.:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

OisinT wrote: »
    Why not?

You wouldnt have to travel as far to government buildings to deepthroat brian cowen!

Advertisement