Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to Dublin and wanting to find out how to meet new people

• 25-10-2010 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello,
    New to Ireland (living in Dublin) and have moved here on my own from New Zealand. Would really love some ideas from people (especially who are in and around their 20's) as to how to meet new people... Im looking for work at the moment so dont have the work scenerio to meet new people through yet. Would appeciate any suggestions ...
    Thanks. Sherri :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I wouldnt wish my worst enemy on this lot. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Rule 1. Post a pic of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

TheZohan wrote: »
    Rule 1. Post a pic of yourself.

Noods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

what type of people

gaelcon just ended i like those people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

oh lord!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Go to this :D

You'll either love it or leave Ireland the next day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Sherri wrote: »
    Hello,
    New to Ireland (living in Dublin) and have moved here on my own from New Zealand. Would really love some ideas from people (especially who are in and around their 20's) as to how to meet new people... Im looking for work at the moment so dont have the work scenerio to meet new people through yet. Would appeciate any suggestions ...

As a new comer to Ireland your choice of AH on boards to meet new people isnt the brightest idea. However, I am sure you will be grand and I assume you did some preliminary research before you embarked on your journey, anyway I wish you the best of luck and I sincerely mean that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I heard Benburb st is a good place to meet people :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Go down to the docks late at night. Wear something revealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Any Irish people in their 20's are moving to New Zealand mate. You should have stayed there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Hello,

Another foreigner looking for work ... jeezz!!

Have they not got the message yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

OP, I PM'd you my address. Pay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

dolly mount beach at 2am and you'll be grand.

just flash twice :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

which town? opps sorry, you said dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Kiwis... aren't they the ones who pretend to be Australians?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

join a club of some sort I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sherri

All I can say is wow, guess this wasnt the smartest choice haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You are double screwed excuse the term. You will not find jobs here and only way to meet new friends is to walk along the promenade scantily clad or just check into 'guest' hotels ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

That is not entirely true. If you did your homework properly like is expected of anyone emmigrating, you should have basic ideas on how to survive and I can assure that despite all has been said you can have a decent life here.

( No1 rule: get used to Irish sarcasm and jokes...they usually mean no harm),

It is not what it used to be but it is a nice country if you are willing to work hard. I suggest you look for New-Zealanders in Ireland...that could help you out a lot.

Kiwis are being reduced by 80% in the budget. It seems that we just can't afford them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You have to play by the rules. Everyone here has at one stage or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

There is a Boards Beerz on Saturday, you could come to that.

If after a Boards Beerz you still want to stay in the country, then you can survive anything!

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Are you male or female? If you're female I'd reccommend you visit the ladies lounge. It's under the rec category at the top. They have regular meet-ups and a lot of them have become very good friends. Other forums on boards have meet-ups all the time too. It's a great way to meet people.

As an Irish person living in New Zealand I would have loved a boards equivalent when I moved here. Lucky for me my work mates are piss heads. :)

watna wrote: »
    Are you male or female? If you're female I'd reccommend you visit the ladies lounge. It's under the rec category at the top. They have regular meet-ups and a lot of them have become very good friends.

You are also quite likely to meet up with Tar Aldarion at the ladies lounge beers. You'll like him.. he's a good combination of dishy & a total slut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Hello,

if you have a proper new zealand accent, everyone will love you so just walk around and talk to whoever'll listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Pics or GT.... etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

Hi Sherri,

I would like the chance to give you a tour of my beautiful country if the following conditions are met :

you must have:

Blond Hair
    Don't care about eye colour
    Big Taa Taa's or baps
    Nice Firm A$$
    Under 30 or else a milf
    good for it and good to go
    A High Sexual Appetite
    An Open Mind

HOWEVER

I cannot help you if you meed any of these conditions:

Work for the Police or law enforcement of any kind, espeicially homicide's
    Fat / Overweight
    Greasy / sweaty - usually caused by being fat / overweight
    Ginger Hair
    Spotty
    Freckly
    Looks like a dude

If you meet all of the criteria under condition A and not condition B then we can meet up but if you meet any criteria under condition B then I'm afraid I cannot take on the beautiful trip of my wonderful cuntry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

^^^^^^

Seriously dude you are not as funny as you think you are and are kind of being a dick.

Way to make a great impression of Irish men!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Did you aquire a working visa through an agency?
    If so, the agency most likely organises events/ get togethers.
    I know when I lived in Canada that something was organised every weekend by SWAP which is the travel agency over there.

If you have some sort of sporting interest or the like, join a club! Great way to meet people imo.

I'm actually going in the opposite direction in January so I'll be in the same boat as yourself. Travelling solo too.

I hope it works out for you & you enjoy your time here!

Edit: Might be worth posting in this forum also. There must be other Kiwi's posting on boards who live in Dublin & they'll probably give you some good advice.

• Advertisement

Dr. Zeus wrote: »
    ^^^^^^

Seriously dude you are not as funny as you think you are and are kind of being a dick.

Way to make a great impression of Irish men!

Meh ..... u are hurting my feelings with your words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Step 1: Are you good looking? If yes see below. If no, GTFO

Step 2: Pics or GTFO
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

This thread reminds a bit of the way men behave in night clubs trying to impress the girls when they've had a few drinks, getting all bolshy and trying to be comedians, (and generally trying to be something they're not).

As regards the original question:

Here's a suggestion:

Join a running club. There are a good few of them in the phoenix park. Sportsworld in Bushy park is very good also. Clonliffe or Raheny in the northside.

A great way to meet people that doesn't involve booze (except for the annual running club p***-ups).

A hiking club would be a similar suggestion, though you might need your own transport to Wicklow.

here's another one:

Go to set dancing classes. Great crack, a bit of Irish culture involved, and again no booze. There is one weekly in st louis's convent in rathmines (I think wednesday evenings). (Don't knock it if you haven't been).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Bill2673 wrote: »
    This thread reminds a bit of the way men behave in night clubs trying to impress the girls when they've had a few drinks, getting all bolshy and trying to be comedians, (and generally trying to be something they're not).

Here's a suggestion:

Join a running club. There are a good few of them in the phoenix park. Sportsworld in Bushy park is very good also. Clonliffe or Raheny in the northside.

A great way to meet people that doesn't involve booze (except for the annual running club p***-ups).

A hiking club would be a similar suggestion, though you might need your own transport to Wicklow.

here's another one:

Go to set dancing classes. Great crack, a bit of Irish culture involved, and again no booze. There is one weekly in st louis's convent in rathmines (I think wednesday evenings). (Don't knock it if you haven't been).

Ever occur to you that the OP might be a cripple or an amputee or severely overweight or has a weak heart?

Running! Hiking! Dancing!
    Why not throw in ski-jumping while you're at it?

So much for YOU being so helpful.

Here's a suggestion:

here's another one:

Out of all the replies on all the threads from all the forums this has to be the biggest Fail reply I have ever read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

OP hasn't returned :(

I guess she doesn't want friends that badly after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Meh ..... u are hurting my feelings with your words

Oh lord, how old are you.

reading your previous post, two words come to mind balloon and lead. idiot also comed to mind, but that may have nothing to do with you............may.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

What are your interests and hobbies OP? Might give people a better idea of what activities to reccomend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Here's a suggestion:

here's another one:

Sweet holy Moses......you might just be the most boring human being alive. No offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

If you get your twin Terri invlved I'll be your friend...

• Advertisement

Out of all the replies on all the threads from all the forums this has to be the biggest Fail reply I have ever read

cheers dude I feel kinda special :D

strobe wrote: »
    Sweet holy Moses......you might just be the most boring human being alive. No offence.

Wow looks like I really touched a chord with you folks :) I like that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Welcome to boards.ie Sherri :)
    Dublin has a regional forum here you can post in since After Hours is for other stuff, as you may have noticed.
    You can also try Ladies Lounge forum where they have meet-ups in various cities around Ireland.
    There is a newbie forum too where you can read about us, or if you questions about the site in general.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement