Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flat tyre - Advice on replacement

• 25-10-2010 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭

So I got my first full on flat tyre over the weekend.
    I'd be just a casual cycler to be honest. Not looking for anything facny. I'd cycle combined total of roughly 2 and a half hours a week.

Since i've never had a flat before, I dont actually know what to look for in a replacement. I'm assuming I'll have to measure my back wheel first anyway, but what else do I need to know? Anything to avoid?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The_B_Man wrote: »
    So I got my first full on flat tyre over the weekend.
    I'd be just a casual cycler to be honest. Not looking for anything facny. I'd cycle combined total of roughly 2 and a half hours a week.

Since i've never had a flat before, I dont actually know what to look for in a replacement. I'm assuming I'll have to measure my back wheel first anyway, but what else do I need to know? Anything to avoid?

Cheers.

Is it a puncture (EDIT: In the tube inside the tyre) or is the rear tyre damaged?

Cyclist, you are a cyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

hah ye cyclist, is that not what i said? ;)

the rear tyre itself is grand. I mean the tube in buggered. I already got a puncture on it and successfully repaired it, but its happened again so thats why I think its due a replacement. Surely I cant keep patching it up indefinately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The_B_Man wrote: »
    hah ye cyclist, is that not what i said? ;)

the rear tyre itself is grand. I mean the tube in buggered. I already got a puncture on it and successfully repaired it, but its happened again so thats why I think its due a replacement. Surely I cant keep patching it up indefinately?

You can patch as many times as you like.

As long as the tyre is sound get a repair kit and patch the tube. I personally change at 6ish. Look on the inside of the tyre to make sure whatever caused the puncture isn't still sticking in there and you're good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I replaced the tyres on my bike over the weekend, eleven patches on one tyre and 4 on the other. Still perfect, I just keep patching unless there is a valve problem or a split instead of a hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Lots of people never bother repairing punctures and just change the tube every time.

On the side of your tyre you should see some raised numbers which tell you the size. This will be something like 700x28. 28 being the thickness of the tyre. In general tubes are for a range of thicknesses (eg: 28-32). If you have the tyre size a shop will give you the correct tube no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

FYI, I bought a repair kit for 3 euro. Then i asked him out of curiosity the tube costs, and he said 6 euro, so i bought one of them as well! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

You did well, it's much fast and easier to replace the inner tube when on the road and repair the punctured one once at home. Just be careful with the cheap tyre levers... sometimes they brake.

Advertisement