Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of advice please re. tank size

Options
  • 26-10-2010 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've recently started an aquarium for my daughter, a 55 litre, using a starter set for tropical fish, we cycled and all was good, started with 4 red neon tetras and two small guppies i think ( they look like little samurai dudes with whiskas) and after a couple of weeks we got 5 tiger barbs, but they bullied the tetras, so i got 6 more tetras few days ago to give them bit more morale/ bigger gang and 2 ancistrus.

All seems fine, they seem happy out, but upon doing some research i think the amount of tigers is too many for the tank size, i have it well planted etc. but i dont want them to be crammed/sad.

Is the tank too small for that amount of fish? the tigers are about 1.5cm at the mo, am i ok for a year or so?

The lady who runs the fish shop is very strict normally and well informed about which fish to get etc, but i was served by the girl covering her holidays and she said it was grand, it wasnt till i got home that i searched on google and seems they need huge tanks....... and the usual lasy is on hols for 2 months.

Bit of advice please, the thoughts of keeping unhappy animals does not appeal at all.

If its a case of having 8-12 monts before having to upsize tank, i can deal with that, if its already too small, then i'd take some of the fish back.

sorry for long post

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

18 fish, prob a bit too many for the tank once they are bigger but maybe not so much now.

The important thing is to keep and eye on the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. With many fish in small tank you'll need to change the water more often.

Tiger barbs are also aggressive so they need to be watched. Keep an eye on the tails of other fish for signs of biting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Thanks for reply,

We've grown attached to the little fellers, previously i would have dismissed fish as boring.

I've my eyes on a 540 litre tank that a guy is selling, so i think i'll get that, cycle, and upgrade the fish.

As for the nipping, we've avoided any fish with long fins/tails and all is hunky dory, so far.

Im changing about 20 % of water weekly, is that about right? filter getting cleaned every few days, water is crystal clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

number of changes depend on levels tbh, I'd be doing 20% a little more often if needed.

what do you mean by filter is cleaned every few days? what kind of filter is it. Mechanical or biological? The bacteria that help clean your water live in the filter (and elsewhere) cleaning it with tap water will kill them and should be avoided. you can clean the sponges in aquarium water you have emptied as the bacteria will not die as much. the filter shouldn't really need to be cleaned that often though.

Clear water is good sign though, you should be ok for the moment

Advertisement