Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Listened to this album twice now, and I'm very impressed. I love the fact that each of his albums try new ideas, yet still remain recognisably Kanye. This album is so different to anything else he's done, it's staggering. Only weak song in my opinion is Monster.
    He seems to be moving away from using recognisable samples. In the whole album, I only recognise 21st Century Schizoid Man by King Crimson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I've been listening to this album pretty much non stop since Tuesday

I think it's a brilliant album, it might not be brilliant as a pure hip hop album, but musically it's amazing

@ Blisterman, I agree, Kanye is sampling a lot of different genres on this album, the sample are hard to pick out, but

Devil in A New Dress samples this @ 2:05:

And Blame Game samples this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

instant classic,well after about 3 listens its a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Monster is quickly becoming one of my favourite ever songs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I think Monster is the weakest track on the album. There were better GOOD Friday releases he could have put on there in my opinion, namely Christian Dior Denim Flow. Runaway is my favourite track followed by All of the Lights. It's a quality album, leaning towards it being his best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

As i mentioned in an earlier post, i was waiting for a full release before i listened to the leaked material.

So i finally listened to it and very surprised by it, not the sound i was expecting, but a pretty good surprise. I really need to listen to it again before i pass proper judgement. Production is solid, content is solid but i got the impression there was some cheesey/corny stuff on it.......does he really use duechebag in a hook??? That just didnt work for me.

Today i've listened to 3 new albums, Celph Titled, Cee-Lo and Kanye, all of which are getting really great reviews.

Celph Titled is top of the pops for me (so far), probably because of the era i grew up in, Cee Lo second and Kanye third. But after a few listens of each that could be re-ordered :) Upon some slight reflection, Kanye's will probably have more longevity than the others....maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

I really really dont like Kanye West, the only song that I've liked since he came on the music scene was Jesus Walks, I thought most of his stuff was fairly naff pop..........but, this album is fantastic, I'd put my house on it winning all kinds of awards. It wont make me go trawling thru his back catalogue coz I wasn't keen on it before but this is as close to a perfect record as you're going to get this year...I do hope it sends him insane like Axl Rose or the guy from The La's and then he'll disappear into legend and never make a record again, coz I think most of us will agree he's a proper twat.

It doesn't sound like any of his older stuff so if you didn't like it then I doubt you'd like it now just because of MBDTF. As for him being a twat, yeah he is, but as long as he's releasing albums like this I'm going to keep listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Listening to the album now, 'Monster' is phenomenal and 'AOTL' is a pretty solid tune also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

Blown away by this album in fairness, best album ive had this year, would be on par with all kanye's other releases for me (bar 808's, did not care for that) defiantly a return to form, with this and watch the throne due, i've a feeling 2011 will feature me listening to a lot more kanye.

Dark Fantasy, Gorgeous, All of the Lights, Runaway, Hell of a Life and Lost in the world all standing out for me, Gorgeous a firm favourite

5 stars in every way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Pitchfork gave it the legendary 10.0

hlaf way through and it hasn't lost my attention...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

lordgoat wrote: »
    Pitchfork gave it the legendary 10.0

hlaf way through and it hasn't lost my attention...

It's getting perfect scores on alot of review sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Pitchfork review is here for anybody who's interested

Looks like this is already a shoe-in for most critics top 10-20 albums of this decade (ala Stankonia)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

class album, i couldnt stop meself buyin a few tracks of itunes, i liked it so much i went in and bought the cd version for the car today.

top album from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Seaneh wrote: »
    This is the 35 minute movie that acts as the video for Runaway.

This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. Also, the album is a pile of ****. Are the reviews a collective practical joke? I'm definitely being trolled here right?

I wish Kanye would just go away. In fact if I could go back in time and kill him after The College Drop Out, I probably would.

Kold wrote: »
    This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. Also, the album is a pile of ****. Are the reviews a collective practical joke? I'm definitely being trolling here right?

I wish Kanye would just go away. In fact if I could go back in time and kill him after The College Drop Out, I probably would.

I would agree with the bolded statement.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I would agree with the bolded statement.

Because disliking Kanyé's special brand of wanky hip pop is clearly trolling. Get a clue.

Kold wrote: »
    Because disliking Kanyé's special brand of wanky hip pop is clearly trolling. Get a clue.
    Nobody cares whether you dislike it, it's the attitude you use to express your dislike which makes me think you are trolling.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Nobody cares whether you dislike it, it's the attitude you use to express your dislike which makes me think you are trolling.

Well, no, I'm not, I'm genuinely bemused by these perfect scores and the circlejerk over this album. Also, that video is absolutely horrific, like, one of the most offensive attempts at 'art' I've ever seen.

• Advertisement

While the video isn't great I believe he played a large role in the directing of it and well he's not a cinematographer. It does come across as fairly pretentious but I don't think it's a bad vehicle for the album.

I don't agree with the perfect scores for the album. It's definitely my album of the year but it's not without flaw. The last three minutes of Runaway are unecessary as is the Chris Rock part of Blame Game (which is fast becoming my least liked track on it but I don't really like John Legend anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 technogoblin

I need to go out and get a copy of this soon, i'm shocked by picthfork's perfect review, when was the last time they did that? crazy. i'm happy for him though, i've always liked kanye west. if it's as good as they say, i hope he finally wins that album of the year grammy in 2012.

Makaveli wrote: »
    While the video isn't great I believe he played a large role in the directing of it and well he's not a cinematographer. It does come across as fairly pretentious but I don't think it's a bad vehicle for the album.

I don't agree with the perfect scores for the album. It's definitely my album of the year but it's not without flaw. The last three minutes of Runaway are unecessary as is the Chris Rock part of Blame Game (which is fast becoming my least liked track on it but I don't really like John Legend anyway).

The last three minutes of Runaway are unecessary

couldnt agree more, dont know what he was thinking there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

this is easlly the best hip hop album released by a comerical artist this year. hands down. I've just listened to it from start to finish twice now and i can honestly say i can't remember when i did that. Think it cud of been the Black Album. He's last album, albeit an experiment for him was a steaming pile of crap in my book, this is definetly a return to form, cud of done with a Common and Consequence cameo but i ain't that mad over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The perfect scores are a bit ridiculous. It's a fantastically over the top, bloated album. Songs that should be 3 minutes are 6, and that should be 6 are 9. I preferred the pared back version of Runaway on the leak he rather overcooked it in the final version.

I'm enjoying the album but it's more something I dip in and out of than listen to back to back. But then my attention span with music these days is poor so I rarely listen to any album back to back.

There's a good article here should give you some insight into the making of the album:
    http://passionweiss.com/2010/11/16/the-making-of-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy/

What in gods name are Pitchfork doing? They only give out 10's for reissues of Led Zepplin records or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Lol @ anyone who takes Pitchfork's reviews seriously. The music reviewer in The Sun would be more informative and probably less pretentious.

It's a good album and one of the best this year perhaps, but to be honest that's not really saying much. It's still probably only his third best album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 technogoblin

Corholio wrote: »
    Lol @ anyone who takes Pitchfork's reviews seriously. The music reviewer in The Sun would be more informative and probably less pretentious.

It's a good album and one of the best this year perhaps, but to be honest that's not really saying much. It's still probably only his third best album.

ah, we all know pitchfork can get a bit enthusiastic sometimes. i'm just interested to read their review after i listen to the album.

i've been happy enough with what's come out this year though. not to make this a thread about 2010's music, but I wouldn't have too much trouble picking ten albums I liked alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Pitchfork don't really review much hip hop but the stuff they usually highlight tends to be decent, if extremely hipster-bloggerish. They gave Curren$y - Pilot Talk a very good review.

after giving this album a bit of time and listining to it at least 10 times i still think its quailty, a class album.

but i wouldn't put it ahead of recovery by em this year to be honest as the best comercial album this year. As much as i like the album i agree with what a lot of people are sayin most songs are overcooked as well a few horrible features i might add.

as much of a fan as i am of RZA and the WU, i know he's more into his producing but his verse is just terrible one of the worst i heard from any rapper in a while i mean was it necessary for him to feature and spit so few bars? and horrible ones at that.

runaway was ruined near the end with kanye mumbling in autotune seriously talk about killing the song.

i was never a fan of monster or power just never appealed to me, blame game was pretty average i wouldn't call it bad but not great either, my last con is the "who will survive in america" a bit lazy he could of done another track if you ask me.

other than that, my 2 stand out tracks are all of the lights and hell of a life with devil in a dress not too far behind and the rest all very good tracks, im loving some of the beats too great sound something different.

id give it a 7 bells out of 10.

still think recovery is that bit better as regards to album of the year.

• Advertisement

Pitchfork don't really review much hip hop but the stuff they usually highlight tends to be decent, if extremely hipster-bloggerish. They gave Curren$y - Pilot Talk a very good review.

Also gave Drake an 8.4. Yeah, I won't be going to them for hip hop reviews again.

Advertisement