Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operating System Interface

Options
  • 26-10-2010 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi All,

I have been asked to write a desktop application/widget that can interface with the OS and web browsers.
    Let's say to start off, I am only dealing with Windows machines and Firefox as the web browser.
    I know how I would normally go about this but I would like to know your thoughts on the matter.
    So, I'm asking, what program language would you write this in.
    A desktop application that runs on Windows and needs to interface with the OS and the web browser (all main browsers).
    Is it c++, VB.net, Java, Ruby, etc etc

Look forward to any replies

Will

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Interface to do what? If you want to do OS related stuff on Windows, C++ or a .Net language with some Interop code is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rochemedia

Hi fatsy,

Primarily, the application will need to be able to capture screenshots and also to grab active urls from the web browser and grab urls from Bookmarks.

Thanks

Will

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Download some Firefox add-ons that deal with screenshots and read their code.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

rochemedia wrote: »

Primarily, the application will need to be able to capture screenshots and also to grab active urls from the web browser and grab urls from Bookmarks.

For what purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Or use QT/C++ with Webkit that comes as a module. Could be an option.

QT also has ability to take screen shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

What languages do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

QT/C++ (which also has other bindings, java ect) or plain ol TK. Mind you, lots of these toolkits were originally developed on Non windows enviroments but yet run unmodified provided you have those toolkits/libraries installed on the host system. Don't limit your options.

For example, you can run GTK and KDE apps on Windows provided you have the base libraries and any thing else required installed on the machine. Pick the widget system that "feels" right:pac:

Advertisement