Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying property with my father?

Options
  • 26-10-2010 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,I am thinking of buying property with my dad for both of us to live in,we are both happy to do this but my only problem is what happens when he dies?I have three other siblings so they would be entiteld to his half of the house and id be worried id have to sell up.any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Talk to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Talk to your Dad about his will intentions maybe, or you could take a greater share in the house so he could leave money somewhere else for your siblings? Maybe your Dad has thought about it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Get him to leave his share of the house to you in his will, the rest of his estate can then be split according to his wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Hi,I am thinking of buying property with my dad for both of us to live in,we are both happy to do this but my only problem is what happens when he dies?I have three other siblings so they would be entiteld to his half of the house and id be worried id have to sell up.any advice would be greatly appreciated

They'd only be entitled to a share of the house if he leaves it to them in his will, or dies without making a will at all. If he leaves it to you, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭farmerval

This should be sorted before you buy any property. Your dad is entitled to do what he wants with his share, but you could be badly messed around bty the consequences. There should be an agreement, preferably written and legally binding before ye start. There are many possibilities too resolve the situation. You could pay a larger share of the purchase price, you could both agree that after your Dad's time that you pay your siblings an agreed sum for his share of the property. Definitely speak to a soliciter, this is an easily sorted issue but needs to be sorted from the outset.
    Both of you need to speak to solicitor's seperately, there's issue's on both sides of the fence, what if your dad needs nursing home care sometime in the future and equity release is the only option? etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

You can buy in joint ownership so the survivor of you both takes all. If you buy as tenants in common and wills you his share your brothers could attack the will on the basis that adequate provision was not made for them.

Advertisement