Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Thursday (oct 28) Merzbow (japan) Crawdaddy

Options
  • 26-10-2010 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

u:mack present

Merzbow (Japan)
    accompanied on drums by
    Balazs Pandi

Thursday October 28
    Crawdaddy

Doors 7.30
    Tickets €14 From City Discs, Sound Cellar & Online at www.tickets.ie/umack

Japanese noise god Merzbow makes his Irish debut with a one off performance in Dublin's Crawdaddy on thursday october 28. For this show, he will be accompanied by Hungarian drummer Balazs Pandi, who has previously worked with Flying Lotus, Venetian Snares & Justin Broadrick.

MERZBOW

Merzbow is Masami Akita, the noise god from Tokyo, Japan. Starting 1979, he has released numerous albums and formed two record labels. The name "Merzbow" comes from German artist Kurt Schwitter's artwork, Merzbau. This was decided upon to reflect Akita's dada influence and junk-art aesthetic. In addition to this, Akita has cited a wide range of influences from various progressive rock musicians such as Frank Zappa and King Crimson over to Japanese bondage. In 2000, Extreme Records released the 50 CD boxset known as the Merzbox.
    Since 2004 he has been a supporter of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) which has influenced a number of animal-themed releases as well as Akita becoming vegan. As well as being a profilic artist, he has also written a number of books and has been the editor of several magazines in Japan. He has written about a variety of subjects, mostly about art, avant-garde and post-modern culture.

So far Masami Akita produced over 200 releases since 1980, and Merzbow has to be regarded as one of the "most important artist in noise".

Merzbow-567.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Did anyone go to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Yeah, it was a bit ****. I've seen Merzbow before, he played with Keiji Haino in Geneva and they were superb but the guy he played with the other night was a poor pairing. Generic double bass beats, one dimensional Merzbow noise and complete disinterest from both of them. Lasted around an hour and to be honest I felt really disappointed from about 5 minutes into it. They took turns going solo during the set and the Merzbow-only bit was grand but by no means his best.

If you want to experience this as it should be, get Akita's drumming album and any other harsh noise album by him and play both at the same time, I can guarantee you that aside from the volume, it would be a million times better than the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Shame. Good review, though.
    John wrote: »
    Yeah, it was a bit ****. I've seen Merzbow before, he played with Keiji Haino in Geneva and they were superb but the guy he played with the other night was a poor pairing. Generic double bass beats, one dimensional Merzbow noise and complete disinterest from both of them. Lasted around an hour and to be honest I felt really disappointed from about 5 minutes into it. They took turns going solo during the set and the Merzbow-only bit was grand but by no means his best.

If you want to experience this as it should be, get Akita's drumming album and any other harsh noise album by him and play both at the same time, I can guarantee you that aside from the volume, it would be a million times better than the gig.

Advertisement