Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to defend MMA to people who casually dismiss it as "wrong"?

• 26-10-2010 7:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

By wrong I mean immoral or unjust somehow. I've a few friends who are of the opinion that because of ground strikes/ground n pound MMA is still somehow babaric and brutal. Their justification is that if you were to punch someone while on top of them you'd face jail time....

Is there any point trying to counter these views? Has anyone else come against this sort of stuff? I've tried the obvious replies: UFC in the States is highly regulated by athletic commissions; very few deaths, I think 3 or 4 in the whole world of MMA?; fights are stopped if a fighter isn't intelligently defending themselves. But even against all of this I get some bizarre stat that deaths in MMA are high in relation to the age of the sport versus recorded deaths in boxing from the 20th century or something... and erm then there's the whole aversion to ground n pound.

I know I won't change their minds or anything but the constant little jabs (pardon the pun) and rolling of the eyes are just too much to take. My tongue's in tatters from biting it so often!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

I know I won't change their minds or anything

There ya go.

You won't change their minds. MMA IS barbaric. You're an idiot if you can't appreciate that. If you like MMA, which for the record I do as well, realise that you're in the minority and that most people will think it's violent and rough.

I remember I organised a UFC night for my college class to watch an event about a year back. The amount of people telling me it was a horrible sport and how could I like that etc. was huge. My response was "I appreciate your view and if you don't want to watch it then don't come to the night out". The object of the sport is to hurt your opponent enough to knock them out, submit them or basically knock them around for 3-5 rounds to get a decision win.

MMA is rough. It's violent. It's barbaric. It's also a highly skillful sport that takes incredible dedication to take part in. No statistics will change that. Get over it and stop asking that group of friends to fight nights if they constantly bug you. Bring some people who appreciate the sport. Buy more tickets to local events. You'll be doing the sport a huge favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

These people are most likely uneducated in the sport of MMA, they are however entitled to their opinion no matter how wrong they are :)

Ground strikes may look brutal but they do lead to referee stoppage which is a million times better than standing them up and allowing a knockout to occur.

If these same people had no issue with boxing in the past then they must not have much knowledge of combat sports and the martial arts. In comparison boxing is far more dangerous than MMA considering they have standing eight count where a fighter could sustain multiple concussions in one fight.

MMA is a combat sport and people do get hurt but they are trained professionals/amatuers, these fighters train off their back and know how to defend from ground and pound and if they get in any trouble there are lots of ways for a referee to identify when to stop the fight, verbal submissions, tapping, fighter is not fighting back, etc.

Fighting is in our blood and it will happen one way or another, I am just glad this fuel for fighting has been translated to a sport with technique, it has become an art and a competitive art that will be constantly changing and evolving throughout the years.

There are plenty and I mean plenty of activities that are far more dangerous than this sport, you only have to surf through the interwebs to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cbenson

Sometimes you just can't convince people who have taken a really entrenched view so it may just be best to agree to disagree.
    As regards the view that punching someone on the ground is some sort of offence, it just reflects the ignorance (as in lack of knowledge) of the person. Two trained athletes taking part in a well regulated sport for which they are both trained is light years away from someone getting mugged in the street!

However, some people still live in the Dark Ages, so when they are not burning witches they are lambasting MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Its is amazing the amount of people who still wont accept the sport but a lot of this is down to media and marketing of the sport:(

First time I watched it on tv I woz shocked I had no understanding of it and being associated with boxing all my life I thought it was rough. I didnt even realise there was rules:eek: It took time for me to understand the rules and skill level in the sport and now I wouldnt look back!!! When I started to attend the local shows and watch more on tv (fights and instructionals) and then with mentoring from people on the scene and Irelands Number One Mr Patterson himself it all fell into place;)

I do find it fun when my "girlfriends" come to shows with me and sit with their hands over their faces for first two fights and by the end of show their on their feet shouting and roaring :D

I think there has only really been two deaths associated with MMA (one in Russia (which I believe was unregulated) and the other recently in America but not confirmed). Considering this against the amount of boxing related deaths its minimal.

If someone told me to chose Mayweather or GSP I wouldnt flinch in chosing George and MMA! I still love boxing but MMA skill level is so much higher:cool:

You arent goin to convince your friends because they have to convince themselves try them out on local shows, let them see its real people doing the sport, chat to the guys on the scene they will soon realise that they arent barbaric animals but genuine sportsmen/ women who come from all sorts of backgrounds;)

Urs
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

First question is, does the other person have an issue with boxing too. If they do, then there's no point arguing because they just don't agree with combat sports in general. My wife is in that boat, doesn't agree with "violence as a sport". She accepts that I like it though so no problem.

With those who dislike MMA but have no issue with boxing are a different breed though. For them it's the apparent brutality of MMA compared to boxing. I tend to argue that it's all about perception.

MMA is savage because they let someone get hit again after being knocked down.

3 misconceptions there.

First, tell that to Royce Gracie or Thales Leites. Leites spent his entire fight against Anderson Silva trying to get Anderson to try and come to the ground to hit him. He preferred to be on his back taking shots because that was his best chance of being dangerous. Same with Gracie back in the day. Happy to pull guard because he knew he had more chance of submitting them before they landed any significant punches.

Secondly, who is to say that being punched while standing up is more savage than being punched while lying down? Why is a standing strike fair and noble but one on the ground isn't? It relates in the same way to the first point. People assume that someone on the ground is defenceless and therefore strikes on the ground are unfair. We know that the person on the ground is not necessarily defenceless so why is it more unfair to hit them while downed?

Third, if someone refers to or has seen a fight where there is a stoppage from strikes, like Hendo vs Bisping or Rampage vs W Silva III. They will complain that the fighter was unconscious and took further damage while out. That's a fair point but again it's down to understanding what happens. In an MMA fight if the fighter is stunned like that, as soon as they are not intelligently defending themselves the fight is over. The fighter goes straight for medical checks to make sure they're OK. In a boxing match a fighter can be knocked down and let back up twice in a round to take further punishment.

From what I've read in various books and articles, that repeated concussion after recovering the first time has a potentially far worse effect medically than being knocked down, and the fight stopped.

• Advertisement

Mrs Lynch wrote: »
    I think there has only really been two deaths associated with MMA (one in Russia (which I believe was unregulated) and the other recently in America but not confirmed). Considering this against the amount of boxing related deaths its minimal.

I think there were 4 total but 2 were unregulated and 1 of those was barely even worth a mention with regards to MMA.

Douglas Dedge was the American who died in an unregulated event in Russia. There were rumours that he had been banned from fighting in the US and Japan due to various medical issues and had been suffering blackouts etc. The event itself had no pre-fight checks etc and poor medical cover.

The second was some lunatic restaurant in Asia where they ran unregulated amateur MMA fights during dinner! No pre-fight checks, not even proper fighters just anyone who showed up and wanted to give it a go! Needless to say some guy fought and died of a heart attack post fight. It was reported that he was tired and run down and definitely shouldn't have fought.

The 2 official deaths were Sam Vasquez in November 07. Again there were rumours that he had a pre-existing condition that contributed to the blood clots in the brain that killed him but these were never officially confirmed. The second official death was Michael Kirkham in June 2010. Both happened on the local circuit in America.

The argument that comes from boxing fans regarding deaths is that there are far far more boxing matches than MMA matches so of course the death numbers are higher. They argue that proportionally it's not though.

Thanks;)

Is Kirkhams death not fully associated with MMA I read somewer that they believed he had also had medical condition???

Needless to say it is still minimal to boxing in the world and on another note there have been deaths on soccer pitches and its not a combat sport!!!

Urs
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Even with the medical checks, training and rules, It still comes down to 2 people inflicting pain on each other for the amusement of themselves and or others.

I can see how this would make some people uncomfortable. If they think this it's wrong you're not going to convince them otherwise by telling them boxing had more deaths or regulations or whatever else.

Pingi wrote: »
    Even with the medical checks, training and rules, It still comes down to 2 people inflicting pain on each other for the amusement of themselves and or others.

I can see how this would make some people uncomfortable. If they think this it's wrong you're not going to convince them otherwise by telling them boxing had more deaths or regulations or whatever else.

Some people work of facts tho to make logic! I believe it all comes down to people understanding the sport. Its not just two competitors in a cage like animals with no rules just goin for the kill!!! Its a combat sport, it is highly skilled, it has rules, we have great clubs and coaches in this country alone who wouldnt put lives at risk. Humans hav enjoyed this type of sport since time began (I reackon Eve got Adam in an armbar lol).

Urs
    x

Some people work of facts tho to make logic! I believe it all comes down to people understanding the sport.

Its not just two competitors in a cage like animals with no rules just goin for the kill!!! Its a combat sport, it is highly skilled, it has rules, we have great clubs and coaches in this country alone who wouldnt put lives at risk.

This could be alien concept here but maybe they do understand the sport and still think its wrong? I'm sure while there is ignorance towards MMA, that the majority of people are smart enough to know about or informed rather quickly about the rules/clubs/skills involved and still feel that it is morally wrong due to it's violent nature. Unnecessary violence whether or not the risk is accepted by both parties is not a black and white area and never will be.

The best the OP can hope for is debunking myths and untruths.

Humans have enjoyed this type of sport since time began (I reackon Eve got Adam in an armbar lol).

Urs
    x

Humans enjoyed lots of things since time began most of which are seen as unacceptable to people nowdays but yeah lolzgirlpower HAW HAW.

• Advertisement

People are entitled to their opinion but best to make an "informed" decision rather than just write the sport off?????

Urs
    x

ps as for girl-power you do realise wot spice-girls done for us?????lol:cool:

Just looks like people crying into their MMA gloves about people not understanding THEIR sport to me.

Ironic due to the recent ignorance and hate shown towards pro wrestling coming from THIS board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This could be alien concept here...........

Before i give my view, i find it confusing why you seem to post here but think you're some sort of outsider.............

Anyway, the problem for me is that they seem to think it's 2 fat Tank Abbott style clowns getting into a cage having just gotten off a bar-stool and punching the heads off each other.

I find that once someone starts to watch events and learn about MMA, they realise that these guys are fantastic athletes and it really is the most exciting sport in the world.

Maybe some people will watch and still no like it and find it "horrible".... no big deal! They are the ones missing out in my opinion!

I find Bull-Fighting horrible, i don't go to Bull-Fights. Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Just looks like people crying into their MMA gloves about people not understanding THEIR sport to me.

Ironic due to the recent ignorance and hate shown towards pro wrestling coming from THIS board

That's the first thing that struck me when I first saw this thread.

Again with the outsider feeling. Pro Wrestling has nothing to do with this conversation AFAIK!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Again with the outsider feeling. Pro Wrestling has nothing to do with this conversation AFAIK!

You're right it hasn't but the irony is obvious.

seadnamac wrote: »
    You're right it hasn't but the irony is obvious.

Of the thread in general or of his posts?

Of the thread in general or of his posts?

The irony of the thread.

The irony of the thread.

Ironic or not, it is still a valid topic of discussion.

Derailing it with comments about Pro Wrestling do nobody any favours.

Yeah cause apparently tolerance only applies to MMA :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah cause apparently tolerance only applies to MMA :rolleyes:

Now you're just not making sense.

OT: There is another problem with those who misunderstand MMA. People who are into other combat sports like Boxing (or non-sport entertainment like Pro Wrestling) see MMA as a threat, especially those who are into Boxing.

Although the VAST majority of those who i know are fans of boxing now watch and love both, there's a small minority who tend to just keep their eyes closed and stay ignorant, almost like how religious people do, if you tell them anything other than "MMA is barbaric and should be stopped".

Now you're just not making sense.

OT: There is another problem with those who misunderstand MMA. People who are into other combat sports like Boxing (or non-sport entertainment like Pro Wrestling) see MMA as a threat, especially those who are into Boxing.

Although the VAST majority of those who i know are fans of boxing now watch and love both, there's a small minority who tend to just keep their eyes closed and stay ignorant, almost like how religious people do, if you tell them anything other than "MMA is barbaric and should be stopped".

You should hear the well respected RTE boxing analyst Mick Dowling go on about it. He's definitely in the small minority!

Mrs Stuffins you're arguing against your imagination.

You should hear the well respected RTE boxing analyst Mick Dowling go on about it. He's definitely in the small minority!

His entire business and livlihood depends on Boxing and people taking boxing lessons also. The more people who which to taking MMA, the less money he makes i guess

I'm not arguing, i just wrote out my opinion which was not in response to anyone else's post. Notmally an argument is between 2 people.

I'm not arguing, i just wrote out my opinion which was not in response to anyone else's post. Notmally an argument is between 2 people.

Oh Ok I understand now, it wasn't going back in forth, it was just you disregarding what myself and others were saying and continuing on with your own opinion of the OP's situation in seperate posts throughout the thread.

Makes more sense now thanks.

Oh Ok I understand now, it wasn't going back in forth, it was just you disregarding what myself and others were saying and continuing on with your own opinion of the OP's situation in seperate posts throughout the thread.

Makes more sense now thanks.

What others?

Also, yes, i was continuing on with my opinion on the OP's situation. This is what Boards.ie is all about.

What i was doing was posting on topic.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you. I've given my views. Feel free to give yours. But you should give them impartially.

Also it is MrStuffins. You seem to have difficulty counting "S"s. i won't hold it against you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

Your dead right Stuffins, I don't have any problem with people following both sports but at least have the decency to keep the discussion in the MMA forum about MMA. Alot of BS about pro-wrestling is circulating in the last 2 weeks or so in this forum from pro-wrestling fans who have an 'interest' in MMA and its getting quite tedious and boring at this stage.

OT- I think alot of the bad feeling towards MMA is due to a lack of knowledge about the sport. When something is viewed for the first time it can lead to alot of preconceptions without fully understanding the in-depth and skilled areas that MMA contains.

TheProdigy wrote: »
    OT- I think alot of the bad feeling towards MMA is due to a lack of knowledge about the sport. When something is viewed for the first time it can lead to alot of preconceptions without fully understanding the in-depth and skilled areas that MMA contains.

THis is very true. A good example is my mother (i'm glad this isn't AH :P ). She only ever caught glimpses of MMA when i was watching. Then when i started to train she kinda freaked, thought her son was joining some sort of Fight Club.

But i started showing her events, made her sit through the first series of TUF and now she really appreciates it. I actually sat up and watched an event with her not so long ago and she loved it haha! :D

• Advertisement

Also it is MrStuffins. You seem to have difficulty counting "S"s. i won't hold it against you though.

I got you and Mrs Lynch legitimately mixed up and thought you were the same poster until you just pointed it out. Not an insult an error

I apologies.

However my views ITT were impartial and lol @ outsider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

TheProdigy wrote: »
    Your dead right Stuffins, I don't have any problem with people following both sports but at least have the decency to keep the discussion in the MMA forum about MMA. Alot of BS about pro-wrestling is circulating in the last 2 weeks or so in this forum from pro-wrestling fans who have an 'interest' in MMA and its getting quite tedious and boring at this stage.

Well said Theprodigy, It's getting silly at this stage people arguing about Pro wrestling and MMA, like all walks of life some people like some things and others like other things, There is 2 separate boards for both and people who want to talk about PW have there right to over there, Its not my cup of tea and the same could be said of many others on here but there is no need to get so defensive because people don't love your entertainment-That does not mean they hate it-it's simply not my thing.

PS, Brock is not hated by me as is regularly stated or most on here for that matter-his pro wrestling is irrelevant as far as MMA goes and apart from celeb wise it is his Amateur Pedigree that makes him the fighter he is.

The point been lets use this forum for what it is meant and thats MMA, The PW forum seems to do ok so PW fans have a place to talk and support there entertainment.

Lets not make this forum an us against them 1 as that's just silly..

i dont and im sure the other mods don't want to start infracting people for pointless dragging threads off topic, lets put a line under all this and get back to what we love, MMA.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

I've practically had enough of this PW / MMA debate that's been going on.. PW fans aren't helping, and most MMA fans aren't helping by continuing with the debate.. People watch both shows because they're both 'entertaining'. You might not find PW very interesting or entertaining (I know I don't), or you might not find MMA very interesting or entertaining. That doesn't mean you should take it upon yourself to go out and try and push your favourite sport onto people.

Mod Edit, Debate bit removed as its all been done to death, relevant stuff left in

And last but not least, can you guys please try not to talk about PW in the MMA Forum and try not to talk about MMA in the PW Forum.

*Gets off Soap-Box*

Mod edit-lets get back on topic

Yep well said theprodigy, I get it now ... you cant be a MMA fan if you are a Pro Wrestling fan.

So moving on lets get back on topic and talk about those ignorant so and sos who dont like MMA.

Yep well said theprodigy, I get it now ... you cant be a MMA fan if you are a Pro Wrestling fan. .

He said quite the opposite, that you can be a fan of both-but both have there respective forums for a reason, with that said-Debate ends here, lets get on topic and talk about what the op wants, Personally i think if people dont want to understand MMA then leave them to it as its not for everyone, would not affect my watching/doing experience..

cowzerp wrote: »
    He said quite the opposite, that you can be a fan of both-but both have there respective forums for a reason, with that said-Debate ends here, lets get on topic and talk about what the op wants, Personally i think if people dont want to understand MMA then leave them to it as its not for everyone, would not affect my watching/doing experience..

Ending the debate seems to be the thing to do around here after I correct/point things out to ye.

But at the end of the day intolerance is a large problem with the MMA forum: Pro Wres fans vs MMA fans, "True" fans vs "Non True" fans etc and such people need to work on themselves first rather than complaining about the intolerance of other people.

You can take on board what I'm saying or you may as well lock this thread too and Ill take my hat-trick and return solely to the Pro wrestling sections of sports......where book learnin' on the joint history of MMA and Pro Wrestling is not frowned upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭kc87

I cant understand why so many people get so upset or feel the need to defend MMA so much when a person doesnt like it or thinks its barbaric.

I had it with mates years ago when got into mma and some mates would watch it and have became big fans where as others still dont like it and think its barbaric even after watching some events.

Everyone has a different taste in what sports they like and i dont think some mma fans can except that its not everyones cup of tea. i'd suggest that if someone doesn't like it they watch a couple shows with an open mind and if they still dont like it then fair enough.

not everyones goin to be a fan at ythe end of the day.

Ending the debate seems to be the thing to do around here after I correct/point things out to ye.

But at the end of the day intolerance is a large problem with the MMA forum: Pro Wres fans vs MMA fans, "True" fans vs "Non True" fans etc and such people need to work on themselves first rather than complaining about the intolerance of other people.

You can take on board what I'm saying or you may as well lock this thread too and Ill take my hat-trick and return solely to the Pro wrestling sections of sports......where book learnin' on the joint history of MMA and Pro Wrestling is not frowned upon.

Straight after been asked to keep this on topic which is about MMA and not a PW V mma Debate, infraction given, next time will be a ban as now your just causing needless problems.

kc87 wrote: »
    I cant understand why so many people get so upset or feel the need to defend MMA so much when a person doesnt like it or thinks its barbaric.

This! Why is it so hard to understand that watching people get punched in the face on the ground will be seen as barbaric by some? I've explained MMA to plenty of people and they can understand the technical skill involved but just find the idea of punching someone on the ground repulsive. It's their opinion, they're not ignorant as some on here claim, they just have a different opinion.

I get it with BJJ for god's sake. When I explain to people that you win a fight either through points or a submission they think it's horrible. Choking people or putting on joint locks freak them out. Are they stupid? No. They just don't like my sport.

It's not just that people don't like it, its when people have a wrong image of the sport and then slag it off, especially when its a public figure like McGuigan or Bob Reilly in the US. That really gets on my wick.

Its like somebody slagging off your Ma! Who cares if they don't like your Ma but when they sway everyones view they deserve a slap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

I get it with BJJ for god's sake. When I explain to people that you win a fight either through points or a submission they think it's horrible. Choking people or putting on joint locks freak them out. Are they stupid? No. They just don't like my sport.

Your question depends on who your dealing with Bobby.
    Are they stupid?
    Depends do they find BJJ/Chokes/Joint locks horrible but Boxing completely acceptable?
    If they do then yes they are stupid.
    How many times we been discussing this on boards now:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭kc87

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It's not just that people don't like it, its when people have a wrong image of the sport and then slag it off, especially when its a public figure like McGuigan or Bob Reilly in the US. That really gets on my wick.

Its like somebody slagging off your Ma! Who cares if they don't like your Ma but when they sway everyones view they deserve a slap!

i dont understand how ya can think someone not liking mma deserves a slap.
    i agree with you about the likes of McGuigan and bob reilly because they would have a bigger audience than your average joe soap but do you honestly expect Mcguigan to hype mma which could damage the sport he's bein involved in all his life.
    i know david haye and wayne McCullough are big fans though. But its still only a new sport and will take a lot longer to gain acceptence with the general public.

i dont understand how ya can think someone not liking mma deserves a slap.

I don't, I said someone slagging off your mother does. :confused:

Your question depends on who your dealing with Bobby.
    Are they stupid?

Everyone is stupid.
    Depends do they find BJJ/Chokes/Joint locks horrible but Boxing completely acceptable?
    If they do then yes they are stupid.

I don't agree. They're different things. I feel the opposite on the issue, I love BJJ but find pro-boxing a bit rough. I find the repeated standing up of downed fighters to be horrible to watch.

Joint locks and chokes have a more visceral feel for some people than big padded gloves. Some like it some don't. Difference of opinion, not of intellect.
    How many times we been discussing this on boards now:p

At least twice...

My knowledge of Bob Reilly only goes so far but anything I've seen from him says he doesn't like how violent the sport is and wants it stopped. The sport IS violent and he's entitled to that opinion. He's an elected representative so his voice is louder than others but again, he's entitled to that opinion. It doesn't make him stupid or deserving of a slap for god's sake.

I've quoted this on here before but there's a particular interview with him where he says he can't support a sport where you can knee to the head of an opponent. Perfectly reasonable view. Again, not stupid or slap deserving.

The sport IS violent and he's entitled to that opinion. He's an elected representative so his voice is louder than others but again, he's entitled to that opinion. It doesn't make him stupid or deserving of a slap for god's sake.

I've quoted this on here before but there's a particular interview with him where he says he can't support a sport where you can knee to the head of an opponent. Perfectly reasonable view. Again, not stupid or slap deserving.

Of course it doesn't make him stupid or slap deserving. Care to point out when anyone said otherwise? Clearly you didn't bother to read post 40 properly, then you completely skimmed past post 43!

PS, with reference to Bob Reilly's views not being stupid... Someone who labels MMA as far too violent for public consumption but yet has no issue at all with boxing, which is merely a different form of violence, is certainly lacking in clarity if not necessarily stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Pingi, Hall and Nash = OUTSIDERZ bai.

Seems to me MMA fans are ovr sensitive whn it comes to criticism of the sport. Why is it so hard to understand that some people are gonna be turnd off by the violence inherently involved in a sport where the whol point is to hurt your opponent and beat them until they can't efend themselves? You don't need to know your arm bars from your Mars Bars to come to such an opinion surely?

Of course it doesn't make him stupid or slap deserving. Care to point out when anyone said otherwise? Clearly you didn't bother to read post 40 properly, then you completely skimmed past post 43!

Grand, I'll retract the word stupid. You brought up people deserving a slap with that weird analogy of someone slagging your ma?
    PS, with reference to Bob Reilly's views not being stupid... Someone who labels MMA as far too violent for public consumption but yet has no issue at all with boxing, which is merely a different form of violence, is certainly lacking in clarity if not necessarily stupid.

My god. Can you really not see the difference between boxing and MMA?

flahavaj wrote: »
    You don't need to know your arm bars form your mars bars

I like this.

My god. Can you really not see the difference between boxing and MMA?

there's a massive difference between Boxing and MMA. In Boxing, someone gets repeatedly punched in the head until they get knocked down. If they are unable to continue right away, they get 8 seconds to recover after which they get punched repeatedly again.

In MMA, if you are unable to continue, the fight is over. It's actually no more violent than MMA, but it is a different kind of violence.

And if you don't think boxing is bad, try telling that to the widow of Apollo Creed!

flahavaj wrote: »
    Pingi, Hall and Nash = OUTSIDERZ bai.

Seems to me MMA fans are ovr sensitive whn it comes to criticism of the sport. Why is it so hard to understand that some people are gonna be turnd off by the violence inherently involved in a sport where the whol point is to hurt your opponent and beat them until they can't efend themselves? You don't need to know your arm bars from your Mars Bars to come to such an opinion surely?

I completely understand if people are turned off by the violence. However i don't like when their opinions of the sport are based on the old Art Davie "Human Cockfighting" UFC and they think it is just a convention of dickheads meeting up to hit each other.

If they know what MMA is and dislike the violence, good for them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement