Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAG on TV's

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Placebo wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    How does one know a TV is going to cause lag, is it the contrast ratio ? i dont think they have a refresh rate?

thinking of getting this
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_03ELEC/16_TELEVIS/03_TV/productdetails/20001993/Samsung_LE32C450_32_4_Series_LCD_TV_/LE32C450E1WXXN/default.aspx

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-le32c450-le26c450-20101001847.htm

It appears to have 16ms of input lag.

I think that's pretty acceptable, I'll need to check. Totally forgotten the range.

EDIT: This is 1 frame of lag.

This is considered acceptable, anything up to 30-ish is pretty unnoticable.

http://shoryuken.com/f177/new-definitive-hdtv-lag-faq-174085/

it does also say in that guide to be wary of accepting online lag readings, that it's best to test it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I have a Samsung series 4 40' inch and my bro has same model 32'

Haven't had any issues with it lag wise.It's a nice little telly for the price

I was playing on a samsung 40 inch at eirtakon and I have to say it felt like playing on a CRT, felt very crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-le32c450-le26c450-20101001847.htm

It appears to have 16ms of input lag.

I think that's pretty acceptable, I'll need to check. Totally forgotten the range.

EDIT: This is 1 frame of lag.

This is considered acceptable, anything up to 30-ish is pretty unnoticable.

http://shoryuken.com/f177/new-definitive-hdtv-lag-faq-174085/

it does also say in that guide to be wary of accepting online lag readings, that it's best to test it yourself.

so basically 1 frame links are out of the question ? :P

Placebo wrote: »
    so basically 1 frame links are out of the question ? :P

No, it doesn't work like that, timing on links is the exact same. I even have video evidence to prove it (loads of people hitting one frame links on the xbox screens in XGC which have if I recall 2 frames of delay when tested).

Input lag is alot of people's go to excuse when losing despite not knowing what it actually does, not pointing any fingers (Chunkis).

It does means your timing on reversals and the like might be slightly more difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

it depends on the link, a lot of people use visual confirmation for some links, faster links tend to be easier to do with lag

ok thanks guys, think il buy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I still swear that visual lag makes tick throwing too powerful.

So often I see the walk forward, I think "press tech NOW", but because of lag* the animation is already starting off-screen.

*may just be an excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    it depends on the link, a lot of people use visual confirmation for some links, faster links tend to be easier to do with lag

This. I cant hit Fei's or Ryu's Gut Punch 1f links in XGC since I use visual cues to land them. Cody's 1f link and Ryu's links to sweep I can land though since they have the same rhythm throughout.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I still swear that visual lag makes tick throwing too powerful.

So often I see the walk forward, I think "press tech NOW", but because of lag* the animation is already starting off-screen.

*may just be an excuse

Nah I have the same problem. In xgc I have to mash tech on prediction as opposed to doing it the way Daigo intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Nah I have the same problem. In xgc I have to mash tech on prediction as opposed to doing it the way Daigo intended.

you tech on reaction normally? godlike

you know that video with me vs ajay that u commented, where i teched everytime on reaction, yeah that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also remember that most TVs including Samsungs have a game mode that should be selected that reduces screen lag since other modes might use an internal upscaler that will add lag.

I find it's a great excuse for losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Those tvs are crap even when you win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    you tech on reaction normally? godlike

who doesn't :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

What Dreddy means (or at least I think =P) is that 99% of the time throw teching is based on anticipation more than it is reacting. You react with the aid of anticipation if it makes sense. Tick > throw is an established method so automatically when you see the tick, walkup, or whatever, you press tech, you're not reacting to the throw itself cold, more so you're reacting to the setup (if that makes sense), because you predict/anticipate a throw (which 9 times out of ten is what happens)

Of course this is a mixup in itself, delay throw after tick will eat OS throw attempts (cr.short) on startup. Obviously stand teching will fix this but as I said before it's a mixup. And of course there is CH setups and frame traps etc on top of that :)

AFAIK it is possible to react tech as it's 7/8 frames of nothing happening pretty much (afaik I know that's correct, but this isn't what conventionally happens most of the time) Delay teching if you are on mark is the best way to deal with throws. I guess that would be true reaction to throws. Tech late into the window. Of course there is still ch setups and the like even in this regard.

Advertisement