Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever got a testicle ultrasound?

Options
  • 26-10-2010 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Silly question...

I discovered a lump I'm my testicle about 6 weeks ago, it's a bit tender to the touch.

Also get horrible pains in my stomach,sides and back most mornings, the pain intensifies when I inhale. However, if I get out of bed and just stand up, the pain goes within about a minute or so..like as if there was a blockage of some sort and standing upright clears it,...

Anyway, I want to make an appointment for a testicular ultrasound, in a place in blackrock...I read the the operator rubs warm gel on your scrotum and the procedure can take 30 minutes.

Here's the part I'm worried about, young female operator,massaging my balls with warm gel for 30 mins...and I can see an embarrassing situation happening....

To anyone that's had 1 done, are the operators usually men or women?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Don't worry about what may arise (sorry for the pun),
    The examiner will have methods for dealing with the situation. And they will know it is involuntary on your part.

Hope it is nothing serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dont worry its nothing like that the jel is very small amount the member of staff tends to be male - It didnt last anything like half an hour it was more like 10 mins max remember its not that big an area to cover - Hope all goes well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

I had the same problem as you (without the back pain though)

I went for a checkup in the doctors first and it was a young blond female doctor! :eek: She fondled my scrotum for a while.

But I was so terrified as I was sure I had cancer of the balls and I was going to die or at least loose my balls so I was in no mood to get a boner.

She then sent me on to the hospital for an ultrasound checkup but it was a man who was doing the scan so... The scan took less than a minute, it's also pretty cool as you get to see the image of your balls on a nice big TV. This was a few years ago so maybe nowadays you'll get to see them on a nice Flatscreen Samsung HD! He told me to hold my nose and blow to create a rush of blood, and you get to see blood rushing around your balls. Anyways the thing I thought was ball cancer was just an enlarged vas defrens - nothing to worry about

Anyways I'm sure you can request a male doctor right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My husband had testicular cancer 2 years ago, he has never told me the details.

He has had a hugh number of doctors and nurses looking and feeling his bits, he says he is OK with the females and the males its the males that bat for the own side his worried about. He now goes back every 3 months for a check up.

He had 1 testicle removed and they found cancer cells going up the tube towards the lymph node so he had chemo to get rid of any cancer cells over remaining after the op. His fine now, they popped in a fake one. He was operated on in the abdomen and pushed the cancer up out of the scrotum and out through the hole in his abdomen. He had no symptoms only a very large swelling (the size of a large orange).

They thought it was a hydrocele but it wasn't he had 3 scans because they couldn't tell what it was or wasn't. Don't worry just get it checked out throughly.

My 9 year old nephew has also just left hospital with a hydrocele. He was sick and had tummy pains, it also hurt him to pee.

Best of luck....

They have seen it all before.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scifi77

He has had a hugh number of doctors and nurses looking and feeling his bits, he says he is OK with the females and the males its the males that bat for the own side his worried about. He now goes back every 3 months for a check up.

He had 1 testicle removed and they found cancer cells going up the tube towards the lymph node so he had chemo to get rid of any cancer cells over remaining after the op. His fine now, they popped in a fake one. He was operated on in the abdomen and pushed the cancer up out of the scrotum and out through the hole in his abdomen. He had no symptoms only a very large swelling (the size of a large orange

They thought it was a hydrocele but it wasn't he had 3 scans because they couldn't tell what it was or wasn't. Don't worry just get it checked out throughly.

My 9 year old nephew has also just left hospital with a hydrocele. He was sick and had tummy pains, it also hurt him to pee.

Best of luck....

I'm really sorry to hear about what your husband has been through. It seems like quite an ordeal. I read your post with interest but as a medical professional, I was very disappointed by the comment you made about your husband's feelings about those who 'bat for the other side'. I've worked with hundreds of people, some of whom, no doubt, 'bat for the other side'. I'm sure that the original OP is more concerned about the procedure than the orientation of the person carrying out the ultrasound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scifi77

He had 1 testicle removed and they found cancer cells going up the tube towards the lymph node so he had chemo to get rid of any cancer cells over remaining after the op. His fine now, they popped in a fake one. He was operated on in the abdomen and pushed the cancer up out of the scrotum and out through the hole in his abdomen. He had no symptoms only a very large swelling (the size of a large orange).

Best of luck....

I would also add that in the event of a staff member 'batting for the other side', I'm sure that he/she is far more interested in putting the patient at ease and getting the procedure done, rather than anything remotely ulterior.

In the event of somebody going for a procedure, my priority would be the procedure, rather than the orientation of the person carrying out that procedure. Sorry for the rant and again, best of luck to the OP. The waiting is the hardest part so hopefully you won't have long to wait, that you will have a successful outcome and you will be able to return to this forum and advise others in years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

OP, even if it is a female you shouldnt let that put you off, she will be well used to examining men.

its too important an issue to let something like that deter you from seeking help

on that note, it seems from your post that you are organising this scan yourself - you really should see a GP, as you may need more tests/investigations/referral etc

best wishes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement