Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PES2011 gripes

Options
  • 26-10-2010 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

I loved the demo but have been playing the master league for the past week or two and a few things are standing out that are driving me crazy...
    1. Nobody seems to make decent runs off the ball. I played FIFA last year and off the ball runs were being made all over the place, players trying to get into space. PES isn't half as good at this - in fact, say i am a corner back and come running up the side or a midfielder coming off centre...I look by the winger, he stands there looking at me, no sign of making a darting run down the by line. Is there any way to encourage them to do this???
    2. Referees - they are completely inconsistent. I make a perfectly good sliding tackle straight on and a free is given against me! not one minute later and a slide tackle from the side on me is let go.
    3. I have a speedy enough winger - how is it that every corner back he comes up against can beat him both in pace and strength! come on!
    4. The tricks are pretty tough to master and from what I've seen there is no use in using them - however, this may be just down to me not using them correctly, anyone else find this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

what the creepin' Jesus is a corner back? Have they introduced GAA positions to spruce up the new pro evo?

I played a few games, I could probably add to your list. It's just not the game it used to be. I've pretty much given up on soccer games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

theteal wrote: »
    what the creepin' Jesus is a corner back? Have they introduced GAA positions to spruce up the new pro evo?

I played a few games, I could probably add to your list. It's just not the game it used to be. I've pretty much given up on soccer games

Ah now pedantic pat - I think corner back is pretty descripive of where players like Ashley Cole or Glenn Johnson play

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ah I'm only messing with you splash. I knew what you meant, just so you know, its a full back (somebody will argue that some of them are wing backs - and you think I'm pedantic)

Anyway, as you'll see from the rest of my post, I generally agree with your sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I loved the demo but have been playing the master league for the past week or two and a few things are standing out that are driving me crazy...
    1. Nobody seems to make decent runs off the ball. I played FIFA last year and off the ball runs were being made all over the place, players trying to get into space. PES isn't half as good at this - in fact, say i am a corner back and come running up the side or a midfielder coming off centre...I look by the winger, he stands there looking at me, no sign of making a darting run down the by line. Is there any way to encourage them to do this??? Always frustrating when you control the LB or RB and make a move up the line and the LM or RM just looks at ya as you go past him and offers no support, so annoying.
    2. Referees - they are completely inconsistent. I make a perfectly good sliding tackle straight on and a free is given against me! not one minute later and a slide tackle from the side on me is let go. I agree, althugh this year they are a bit toned down, some of the tackles last year you would have got sent off for are now yellows, thank christ.
    3. I have a speedy enough winger - how is it that every corner back he comes up against can beat him both in pace and strength! come on! Its very hard to get past people with just pace in the game,as soon as any players steps across your path, he has ya, simple as. Annoying as hell.
    4. The tricks are pretty tough to master and from what I've seen there is no use in using them - however, this may be just down to me not using them correctly, anyone else find this? I rarely use tricks or skill against the computer because its arder to get away with, against friends or online I pull out a small few I have mastered though.

My own gripes.

Free kicks : The AI can bang them in all day long. No problem to them, so much so that I always have a player head to the goal line becasue everyone is like Beckham in the game.

Goalkeepers : They have got worse IMO. They are very indecisive and make more mistakes, this can be seen as more realistic, depending on what you feel personally.

Game Points : Another thing thats annoying me is game points. 10 points for one game, and to unlock the classic teams it is 300 points or 30 games. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

For above, you get 50 game points if you win a game online.

I imagine you'll gain more game points in a match if you win a cup or something, similar to the PES points from the PS2 versions.

As for gripes, I'd have to say free kicks as well, for the same reasons as above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,683 ✭✭✭✭briany

gavredking wrote: »
    My own gripes.

Free kicks : The AI can bang them in all day long. No problem to them, so much so that I always have a player head to the goal line becasue everyone is like Beckham in the game.

Goalkeepers : They have got worse IMO. They are very indecisive and make more mistakes, this can be seen as more realistic, depending on what you feel personally.

Game Points : Another thing thats annoying me is game points. 10 points for one game, and to unlock the classic teams it is 300 points or 30 games. :mad:

I really agree about the free kicks. There's a crescent area a few yards in front of the penalty box that I have nicknamed the "Zone of Death" because it seems like there is an eighty percent chance that cpu opposition will score if given a free kick in that region. I too have a player run to the goal line to try and head the ball away but often times the computer is so good he can slot it just between my defender and my goalie's outstretched arm so not that much help there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I hate the automatic kick off and you can't turn off fatigue in the master league. I also hate how a players stats drop when you play them out of position.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Its an incredibly frustrating game alright but i still think its more exciting than fifa. Its just a pity that every time they fix something from the previous years installment they seem to mes up something else.

They've even managed to **** up the wide camera angle this year. Why? there was never anything wrong with it in the first place. And has anyone noticed when bringing your defender back to the goal line for a computer free kick they always seem to stop a few yards off the line. Annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

1. Referees - they are completely inconsistent. I make a perfectly good sliding tackle straight on and a free is given against me! not one minute later and a slide tackle from the side on me is let go.

thats my main gripe with real football :p

What happened to the replay angles? They have just 2 and they're pants.

• Advertisement

Yeah, i forgot about that. it is annoying. but at least it might stop the pricks who feel the need to replay a goal 5 times online.

I hate the "imaginary wall" around the box that effects keepers. You know when the keeper dives for a ball near the edge of the box and never moves out over the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

• I couldn't agree more with the issue of CPU free-kicks. Anywhere around the penalty area and they may as well be taking a penalty kick because they seem to score so often.
    • I also get frustrated when the CPU attempts to play a through-ball and my defenders just stand and watch it go past them until I managed to take control of them.
    • The calls for off-side are constantly late. It lets you run on for a second or two only to be pulled back. Very frustrating.
    • I miss the option to search for players based on their openness to negotiation.
    • I also find that my forwards don't get into the box as quick as they should to meet crosses. Perhaps that is something to do with my tactic settings though.
    • I cannot understand why they changed the control scheme for changing your attack/defense levels. Now you have to press Select & R1/R2. That combination of button presses isn't easy in the heat of action.

What is the story with the Youth Team in Master League? I don't have one as the option is greyed out. Do you have to hire a particular coach to set on up. I have player development set to Dynamic but I didn't think that would stop me having a youth team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I hate the automatic kick off and you can't turn off fatigue in the master league. I also hate how a players stats drop when you play them out of position.

Don't agree with this. I think the fatigue thing makes it all the more realistic. Players do get tired in real life there not robots.
    And if you played someone like say Xavi as a SS or Evra as a CM of course there not going to be as effective as they would be in there normal posistion.

Have to agree with the OP that the players (specifically the CF's) just staying static when you wont them to make a run is one of the most frustrating things in the game. And like "Josey Wales" I also find that when ever I want to put a cross in the box theres fcuk all players in the box to aim at.

Theres alot of good things about the game but theres so many things that could have been done better aswell that I didnt think would be to hard to fix. And things that didnt need changing getting changed anyway, like the negotiations in ML, players records, the shooting,GK's etc ... was all fine & didnt need to be touched.

Penalties in the game. Same as last year where it's the same isometric view as elsewhere in the game and pressing the shoot button and pushing the stick up/down, left/right to affect the direction of the ball. Once I got used to it it was all well and fine but what I didn't know was that in the case of a penalty shoot out it reverts back to the old camera to goal angle, which completely threw me! Why can't they just have the same bloody angle for penalty shoot outs as they have for on off penalties? Needless to say I lost that first penalty shoot out in the confusion.

• I cannot understand why they changed the control scheme for changing your attack/defense levels. Now you have to press Select & R1/R2. That combination of button presses isn't easy in the heat of action.

What is the story with the Youth Team in Master League? I don't have one as the option is greyed out. Do you have to hire a particular coach to set on up. I have player development set to Dynamic but I didn't think that would stop me having a youth team.

I didn't know how to change the attack/defence levels at all so cheers for that.

Player development shouldnt effect the youth team so maybe it is the coach you hire. i always hire the expensive guys as you can get some real classy players coming through on occasion.

tdv123 wrote: »
    Don't agree with this. I think the fatigue thing makes it all the more realistic. Players do get tired in real life there not robots.
    And if you played someone like say Xavi as a SS or Evra as a CM of course there not going to be as effective as they would be in there normal posistion.

Fatigue should be able to be turned off. I don't think a keeper should have to be rested 10 games into a season, or a player gets rested 12-13 games into the season and 2 games later he effected by fatigue again!

As for players becoming less effective out of position, the stats don't have to be artificially lowered for this. If I use your example as Xavi as a SS, he won't be as good there because his shooting stats are lower than a SS. So are his header stats. But think about it in real life. Would his ability to pass be effected? Or dribbling? Or top speed? No!
    Some full backs being played on the wrong side have stats that drasticly drop. Or a winger being played slightly back as a SM! Ridiculous if you ask me, this just doesn't happen in real life. The only thing that can be effected is that they might drift around a bit more, or not get into a position to receive a pass if they're a defensive player playing more forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm not really noticing fatigue as much in this version as I did in PES 2010. In last years version it seemed like players could only go 7/8 games before crying out for a rest. This year I hardly ever rest players.

Does anyone agree that the difficulty has been increased? I've always played PES on 'Top Player' but I'm thinking about dropping down to the next level to reduce frustration of not scoring. I keep clean sheets no bother but very rarely score.

I'm not really noticing fatigue as much in this version as I did in PES 2010. In last years version it seemed like players could only go 7/8 games before crying out for a rest. This year I hardly ever rest players.

Does anyone agree that the difficulty has been increased? I've always played PES on 'Top Player' but I'm thinking about dropping down to the next level to reduce frustration of not scoring. I keep clean sheets no bother but very rarely score.

I don't know if the difficulty has been increased or if it's just poorer control and dodgy AI team mates.

I have the opposite problem, I'm usually good for one goal or more per game but find it hard to keep stop a goal or two ,particularly in the case of the dreaded parry. Alot of that is down to nervousness though. Once you get edgy and start chasing balls, leaning on the sprint button, it's a slippery slope.

My gripe would be when you play a perfect through ball to a player, and when the player reaches the ball he suddenly slows down, just enough time for the opposition to get back and defend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

New patch out next week to cure some of the annoyances.
    PES 2011
    Konami has announced a patch for PES 2011 next week.

The update will primarily improve defender AI to allow more consistent passing, while shooting will result in more realistic outcomes.

The success and difficulty of Rainbow Flicks are to be adjusted, throw-in takers can now have the ball passed back to them, and cursor switching during crossing is to be improved.

Finally, transfer fee calculations in Master League mode have been reworked, and it will be possible to remove the player names above the CPU opposition.

The update will go live for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC from November 24.

A big gripe which happens regularly is when the CPU attempts a stupid volley from outside the box after a ball is cleared from a corner.

Can't wait for the patch though. Hopefully the tweaked shooting will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Lads I havent bought pro evo really since the glory PES 6 days, got the new one cos got nostalgic thinking about my old master league team and felt it was one of the worst games ive ever bought, really really dissapointed. Anyways im hoping somebody can help me with my MAIN gripe which is whenever the opposition (or player 2) has the ball on the wings I cant move any player out to him, its like they are frozen on the spot and seem to hold their position. If I try and change players onto another player the exact same thing happens, its as though the players use some kind of zonal positioning and wont move outside of the invisible box no matter what.

Which often results in the opposition simply running down the wing unchallenged and crossing the ball in and scoring. Ive messed around with team management settings and cursor settings, tried things like unassisted semi-assisted, manual etc etc but nothing seems to work. Ive also tried setting the game back to factory defaults and deleting my saved preferences to see if this would resolve it but nope, nothing works.

Advertisement