Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lessons in Dublin?

• 26-10-2010 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My OH wants to get a bike early next year to shorten his commute time. He's never driven a bike before.

He's applying for his provisional now, and I want to get him lessons for his crimbo pressie.

Can anyone recommend a riding school or private instructor in Dublin? He will need to have a school bike and be covered by their insurance as he won't have a bike at that stage.

How many lessons does the average person need to get to the stage of driving alone?

(just as a side note, the commute will be from Glasnevin to Cherrywood, through town, so no motorways)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I'm interested in this too. Was going to ask the same thing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dave Lyons will sort you out

I did the beginner course over two days.

http://www.motorbiketraining.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Since you or more specifically the OH is in the Dublin area, Fingal Co Co run a fixed bike course which include the bike. 10 hours of training for the Silver course, cost is €220 + €100 bike hire so total is €320 for 10 hours of training.

Pretty good:

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/RoadSafetySection/FileDownload,32206,en.doc

Also FWIW, I make the run from Glasnevin to Cherrywood and go via the M50 - it's much quicker. Though you need a full license for the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

The 2 people I have used were Dave Lyons for Advanced Training and MSA-Ireland for starting off.

I was in the same situation as your OH. No idea how to ride with no experience. I did 12 hours of lessons with them split over a weekend, 6 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday. They supplied the bike and gear, all I needed was a pair of boots ( I wore work ones!)

After that, I got the bike and gear and spent a few weeks going out each night to get the confidence up and to get used to the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Your husband could even do the lessons and attempt the test on the school bike.

I got my A licence before I ever owned a motorcycle.
    It's a pretty common thing to do

Although there is that 6 month rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What's his commute time at the moment? Can't see driving through town being any faster then a car on the M50. I would estimate the journey time to be about 45 minutes relaxed, 35 minutes on the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

jayok wrote: »
    Since you or more specifically the OH is in the Dublin area, Fingal Co Co run a fixed bike course which include the bike. 10 hours of training for the Silver course, cost is €220 + €100 bike hire so total is €320 for 10 hours of training.

Pretty good:

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/RoadSafetySection/FileDownload,32206,en.doc
    That's a great price for 10 hours - are any of these accepted by insurance companies to lower premiums, do you know?

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    That's a great price for 10 hours - are any of these accepted by insurance companies to lower premiums, do you know?

Unfortunately not, but the same instructor was able to do a Quinn / Aon assessment separately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement