Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinnity Castle, Co.Offaly

Options
  • 26-10-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭

Going there this weekend for a Ghost Tour, being held by Richard Felix of Most Haunted fame.

Iw as wondering has anyone stayed there and what there experience was

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I went once. The only paranormal thing that happened to me was when I got there I had loads of money and when I came out all the money had mysteriously vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Grimes wrote: »
    I went once. The only paranormal thing that happened to me was when I got there I had loads of money and when I came out all the money had mysteriously vanished.

at 100e for the pleasure I fully believe I will also experience this

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

great place, lots of knocking, some scraping which counldn't be explained and one of the lads got a push in the back despite standing against a wall. there's a room there, cant remember the name, but has a boat shaped bed and bathroom with a bath tub in the middle, make sure ya get to that one, the bathroom is particularly good for paranormal activity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

is it the geraldine room?

Fran1985 wrote: »
    there's a room there, cant remember the name, but has a boat shaped bed and bathroom with a bath tub in the middle, make sure ya get to that one, the bathroom is particularly good for paranormal activity

I stayed in that room! :eek:
    The bathroom is in a turret. Real nice place and got to stay for free.

Didn't have anything out of the ordinary happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The only thing paranormal about this place is its grimness. Currently being managed under receivership don't expect too much from a hospitality stand point. Had the displeasure of staying there about two years ago, quite simply it was appalling. Room was filthy, cracked windows, cold room and water, no telephone or TV in the room and get this, a Ghetto Blaster as a radio. Also, bring a packed lunch, the food was the worst we ever had. Not entirely sure how this place is open, this all said it is a spectacular building but i would advise bring a tent as opposed to staying in side this place, needs major renovations and proper management.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

It's under new management the last year and I've been there twice in the last 2 months. Got treated very well and my steak was NYOM! Place was clean and friendly with a few little unexplained noises etc but no manifestations of the devil or headless coachmen ;)

Oh the room with the bath in the turret is the seret suit. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

6th wrote: »
    It's under new management the last year and I've been there twice in the last 2 months. Got treated very well and my steak was NYOM! Place was clean and friendly with a few little unexplained noises etc but no manifestations of the devil or headless coachmen ;)

I beg to differ, its still be managed by FSG partnership and in receivership and has been so for over two years, although i do believe they got rid of a buffoon from Athlone who managed to run the place even further into the ground over the past two years. Like numerous Ghost Hotels (excuse the pun) being run by receivers & banks, don't expect award winning hospitality, just service being operated on a shoe string. In addition you could pick this place up at a snip through knight frank property consultants, the asking price now half what it was two years ago. As for the food, did you dine at the ghastly monks kitchen farce (sorry buffet) or the supposed restaurant that only opens at weekends?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

By new magament I actually meant new "manager" so you are right but the woman running the show now is so helpful and friendly. I ate in the restaurant not the monks kitchen, the waiter was great and very helpful and hell, even the bar man was friendlier and more interesting than any i've spoken too in a long time. I could name each staff member i dealt with last time I was so happy with the service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 666th

I had lunch there a while ago and the staff were few and far between. I understand that they are on a tight budget but when i saw the amount of food for the price i paid...... it was embarrassing :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The reports in this thread on the place are more suited to the travel forum. :) I realise you guys want to share opinions on the place, but it should really be more about the paranormality (is that a word?) of the place rather than just the grub.

Advertisement